What's new

Hydration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
I tend to get quite dehydrated drinking kava. I'm using quite a bit currently to cope with the heat, but plan to cut back when it cools down. I drink coconut water as it was recommended somewhere. Though it's quite expensive and am wondering if there's a cheaper alternative. I know that kava has diuretic properties though also seems to reduce certain electrolytes as well. I just don't know which electrolytes kava reduces and still too hot to do much research, even with the kava.
Anyone happen to know this and a cheaper alternative to coconut water?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I tend to get quite dehydrated drinking kava. I'm using quite a bit currently to cope with the heat, but plan to cut back when it cools down. I drink coconut water as it was recommended somewhere. Though it's quite expensive and am wondering if there's a cheaper alternative. I know that kava has diuretic properties though also seems to reduce certain electrolytes as well. I just don't know which electrolytes kava reduces and still too hot to do much research, even with the kava.
I feel you. Coconut water is about one of the only things at the grocery where when I see the price I say "nope, not that thirsty". Went Sunday and the large bottles of Harmless are at $10 a bottle.

At vitamin stores and on amazon they sell electrolyte powder. It's basically Gatorade in powder form. Really cheap, and works really well.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I hear dihydrogen monoxide is great at preventing dehydration and really, really cheap. Unless you are running marathons or doing something for long hours in lots of heat there is little to no reason to need to replenish electrolytes. I you really feel strongly about replacing them or have some other reason you need to then things like low calorie gatorade, or make your own (multiple recipes on-line), or take salt tablets (many on-line) with your water. All much cheaper in general than coconut water that has very few electrolytes to begin with.

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
Just found some electrolyte powder form Bulk Powders on Amazon. I didn't think it would be that easy. Only 4p per portion is a very good price, I just need to find a way to mask the taste. Thanks for the advice.

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
I hear dihydrogen monoxide is great at preventing dehydration and really, really cheap. Unless you are running marathons or doing something for long hours in lots of heat there is little to no reason to need to replenish electrolytes. I you really feel strongly about replacing them or have some other reason you need to then things like low calorie gatorade, or make your own (multiple recipes on-line), or take salt tablets (many on-line) with your water. All much cheaper in general than coconut water that has very few electrolytes to begin with.
Yeah water is great and I should drink more of that. It's just that I'm sure it's affecting my electrolytes due to the feeling I get. I've had it in the past from alcohol and water wasn't helpful.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yeah water is great and I should drink more of that. It's just that I'm sure it's affecting my electrolytes due to the feeling I get. I've had it in the past from alcohol and water wasn't helpful.
Fair enough - the next cheapest option I have found is buying your own powder or tablets. A quick search will turn up lots of options.

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
I'll order the powder in a bit as it's an easy low cost solution. I'll also try some dates. I try to use a combination of food and juice/water to treat dehydration, but not feeling good right now so fudge is quite bare.

I've got some prunes in the cupboard that need eating. Might go through them first.

NotKrunk

Kava Curious
Can't excessive coconut water cause diarrhea further exacerbating dehydration?
I tend to drink plenty of water, usually with lemon juice and herbal teas. Caffeine and alcohol are also diuretics so watch those. Up your water consumption and you should be okay.

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
Nuts.com has coconut water powder for 8.99 for a half lb. Not sure if that's cheaper than anything you're looking into or not
I might buy that sometime. Might be a lot cheaper than the hydrstion tablets I buy. Thanks for the tip. Might add some fruit juice to add some flavour to it. Coconut water isn't all that great tasting depending on brand, powder might be much less pallitable.

Can't excessive coconut water cause diarrhea further exacerbating dehydration?
I tend to drink plenty of water, usually with lemon juice and herbal teas. Caffeine and alcohol are also diuretics so watch those. Up your water consumption and you should be okay.
I do need to drink more water. I should have water next to me while drinking kava, but I'm still not looking after my body much. However there still is a very present electrolytic dehydration when I'm dehydrated. Duiretic dehydration seems to do this most often. I really don't notice it much anymore though. It may have been due to the strain and the amount I was using. Some strains I could only go though a 10 gram drink with a day as it was just too strong.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah certain strains do this to me more than others... and I feel it is electrolytes as well because water just doesn't cut it... eating and coconut water really do the trick for me ... I disagree that it is low in electrolytes it has very high DV value compared to the electrolyte packets or drinks like gatorade. They never go above 5% potassium or magnesium and coconut water has much more than that for all the electrolytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.