What's new

I have a question.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I noticed that there are a lot of regular kava drinkers and even some hard core kava drinkers like me. :D
I wanted to ask, in your experience with certain varieties of kava, I am not interested in the sellers of the kava just the kava they sell, is the consistency good, can you always go there to get your favorite kava and it will be the same strength as it was the last time? Or, do you find that sometimes it is good and sometimes it is not as good as it could be.
Does it give you the same effect with every new batch you buy, weather it be the euphoria or the body relaxing feeling, do you find consistency with the effects as well as the potency?
My personal experience with local sellers of Hawaiian kava, it is hit and miss, one guy I know, his kava can be good one time and then the same kava the next time (by the way it was Mahakea) is not as good and then some sellers just does not have the strength I like, maybe I am too hardcore when it comes to kava but i like a good strong kava, one that you don't have to use a lot of powder to get to where you want to be. :cool:
Thanks and aloha.

Chris

D

Deactivated Account

I've only drank mostly 3 diff kavas, Fiji waka, Vanuatu fresh & Vanuatu powder.

The fresh is in a league of its own (i don't believe it can be compared). The Fiji waka can be so massively different in strength that I've thrown it out a few times & others ..I've not been able to walk on my own. The Vanuatu powder has also been pretty low for me also.

I drink kava for no other reason than I like it, no...I love it. I'm the same as you, it's got to be evilly strong.

Some wakas I can drink 2 litres (I'm a big unit) & nothing comes from it, that's the type I throw out. There is a lot of it about here. You've really have to find someone willing to sell their personal stuff to get anything remotely worth while.

I honestly don't get what everyone mentions here re it being heady/body/euphoric etc. I can tell in 2-3 mins what I've got..it's either on or not.

I'm just a kava pig.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Above all others Boroguru is my kava of choice and there are only two places so far I can even get it. So far I've noticed very little difference from batch to batch. The difference is minuscule if at all.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
To echo Vekta, Boroguru is my favorite strain of kava. I know what to expect, it's consistent, and readily available.

My favorite when it's available is Hiwa. Taste, and effect are far superior to me than any of the other strains I've sampled.

infraredz

BULA!
I've found the potency to be surprisingly consistent (except for Rex's Van3). The potency can of course fluctuate by small amounts (ie. instead of 8tbsp, one might need 9tbsp) but in my experience, the effect-profile never seems to change with a given strain.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
it can change a bit, but over the past couple years I have found that the strains that I most often purchase are pretty much stable as far as potency goes. The strains I usually buy would be things like borogoru, anything that is nambawan grade, most vanuatu strains, and the occasional fijian.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Yeah, Rex's Van3 and Tongan pride seem to be the most notably inconsistent. In the past when Mahakea was more available online, it seemed inconsistent too. I noticed in another post you made, you mentioned seeing the Mahakea plant range from 6% up to 20% kavalactones....which would explain my inconsistent experiences with it.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
I have tried a few different vendors but BKH is where I get most of my kava..mainly my first love Nambawan...or Boroguru. they're typically spot on in the effects arena