What's new

I have seen 2 different techniques of Traditional Prep

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Watching videos, I have seen 2 different methods of traditional prep, and I would like to know the difference.
One involves keeping the kava-filled strainer submerged in the liquid, the whole time you massage it, until the very end, when you squeeze/strain the liquid out of the kava.
Another one shows the person repeatedly submerging it into the liquid, massaging it for a while, then lifting it out and squeezing the liquid out, and then repeating those 2 steps over and over, of submerged massaging and straining.
Is there any difference in effects, between the 2 methods ?

One reason I am concerned is because it seems like if you keep submerging it in and out of the liquid, that some of the kavalectones that had already been released into the liquid, might return back into the kava root, when you submerge it again. Or is that not a realistic possibility ?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It should typically always end with a very thorough wringing out, to make sure you get everything out. You can have another bowl with less water in it that you do a quick second wash in, to get some more kavalactones out, then combine it with your original batch.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Watching videos, I have seen 2 different methods of traditional prep, and I would like to know the difference.
One involves keeping the kava-filled strainer submerged in the liquid, the whole time you massage it, until the very end, when you squeeze/strain the liquid out of the kava.
Another one shows the person repeatedly submerging it into the liquid, massaging it for a while, then lifting it out and squeezing the liquid out, and then repeating those 2 steps over and over, of submerged massaging and straining.
Is there any difference in effects, between the 2 methods ?

One reason I am concerned is because it seems like if you keep submerging it in and out of the liquid, that some of the kavalectones that had already been released into the liquid, might return back into the kava root, when you submerge it again. Or is that not a realistic possibility ?
I wouldn't be too worried; leaving it in the bowl would do the same thing. I always leave it submerged and knead it, rolling portions of the contents of the strainer between my thumb and my index finger until I feel the slimy soapy texture change to a grittier texture (or decide that the wash is strong enough). When one portion feels less slimy, I move that bit over and rub another bit of root between my thumb and index finger; until the whole contents of the strainer seems much less slimy and it is no longer imparting color to the water.