What's new

I was a blender Boy

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
But no more! Kneeding your kava is not some sort of historical reenactment of indigenous tradition: It just works fabolously! Afterwards, i blended the remaining kava 3x90 seconds with coconut butter - and yes, it was active, but very mildly so. The kneeding got most of it out. I really wonder why i never tried it before. Always the blender. Went thorugh kilos of Kava ...now i know it would have lasted me much longer with proper extraction. I prepared two heaped tablespoon/ 1 ounce of malekula magic and i kinda "had to" split the brew in two because it was scary strong!

I'll use my blender for smoothies now.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
There's something about the time it takes to knead a batch of kava that makes the very action therapeutic. It forces me to sit down, put aside what I was doing, and just squeeze. I can rely on that 20 minutes every day as a grounding activity. Also it makes some wicked strong kava.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Challenge....

squeeze'n' kneed for 40 minute with warm water...let me know what time you wake up the next day. :D

D

Deleted User01

I used to use the blend and also knead but it's alot of trouble to set it up and clean it so I just went to a 10 minute soak and a 5-10 minute knead. Last time I lost control of temperature and I think the second batch was with cooler water but it was still potent. But to Vekta's point, they say 113 degrees will maximize the potency.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I don't know. I did it a couple times and I was :wacky:. It could have been two flukes in a row.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I used to blend & knead a few years ago (never thought blending alone would do much). I remember thinking at the time that it may have seemed a bit more potent...but in the long run, it was much too small of a difference (if any) to make it worth the extra time and clean-up to use the blender.

D

Deleted User01

Bert, I do the Kava by Rex Method. He says to knead for 5 minutes and that is all that is "Kneaded" to get the good stuff. I also don't soak that long per Rex. But unlike Rex, I subscribe to the research has shows that water at 113 F can result in a substantial increase in yield.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I find you can sort of feel when your done kneading. It becomes less oily and more crumbly insider the strainer. I find when that happens your done. Not to say a second pass isnt possible, but most of it is spent by then.

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah you only need to do it for like 5-10 minutes, thats enough. As long as your really squeezing it

Crunked

Proselytizer
I agree. I do 5-6 minutes of heavy duty kneading in warm water. The blender method never made sense to me. I thought it would just give a finer grind - which is what happened. The grind was so fine that I got an unwelcome 'run for my money'. Once was enough. :yuck:

Bert07

Me like da kava
It's just not possible for me to do it that short. I always get the feeling I can squeeze more out of it, and if I don't it's a waste.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@Vekta I'm up for the challenge! Got a fresh kilo of Melo Melo this week to try the 40 minute knead. Think the most i've done is 15, maybe 20 mins. Been using an emulsion blender, short knead time lately and have been getting potent brews so now my interest is peaked with this challenge. I'll let you know...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It wasn't too long ago I was watching breaking bad while kneading and began to push the 1 hour mark before I noticed. I remember it being quite strong, not 2x strong, but stronger than my normal 20 minute knead nonetheless.

D

Deactivated Account

Challenge....

squeeze'n' kneed for 40 minute with warm water...let me know what time you wake up the next day. :D
Im lucky if i last 1 min kneeding. I probably throw out 90% of the 'bang'