What's new

Idea ; Kava flavored by Decaf Coffee

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I like the taste of coffee.
I don't like the taste of kava. Still.
And something tells me, that if we could transfer the Java taste into the Kava, but just without the caffeine, it might taste good.
I think most people would agree that mixing a caffeine product with your kava at the same time, would not be a good idea.
But what if you could take the decaf coffee taste and superimpose it over the taste of the kava ?
Could you possibly stumble onto something good ?
Or nasty ?

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
I never tried it with coffee, but I once mixed kava and chocolate milk. Sounds delicious... but unfortunately it wasn't. Kava has such an intense taste that it ruins the chocolate component. Eating a piece of chocolate from a good dark chocolate bar after drinking kava is way better. From my experience, the only thing which tastes nice when mixed with kava is fruit juice, preferably orange or mango juice. You can check out my "grogtail" recipe I posted almost 3 years ago: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/summer-kava-recipe-the-grogtail.8804/

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I never tried it with coffee, but I once mixed kava and chocolate milk. Sounds delicious... but unfortunately it wasn't. Kava has such an intense taste that it ruins the chocolate component. Eating a piece of chocolate from a good dark chocolate bar after drinking kava is way better.
That's my view. Eat or drink the good tasting stuff in between shells. I gave up after trying to mix kava with a highly sweetened dark chocolate mouse. It tasted so good until I mixed in the kava. Now I'll shell and just eat the chocolate after.

I haven't had luck with orange juice but I do agree on tropical juices being the best. Mango, pineapple and passion fruit are my favorites for mixing instant or micronized. Even better with added or chased by ginger or coconut milk.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I like the taste of coffee.
I don't like the taste of kava. Still.
And something tells me, that if we could transfer the Java taste into the Kava, but just without the caffeine, it might taste good.
I think most people would agree that mixing a caffeine product with your kava at the same time, would not be a good idea.
But what if you could take the decaf coffee taste and superimpose it over the taste of the kava ?
Could you possibly stumble onto something good ?
Or nasty ?
I have mixed all kinds of things with and in my kava. Every time I thought "oh this will be good" or "oh this will mask the bitterness" and every single time I was wrong. I much prefer (and don't mind many) just drinking my traditional prep kava, and if it is particularly harsh or bitter following it with a drink, or food. The kava taste tends to overpower just about everything else. The one thing I found that was not truly awful and masked the most was the fake coffee syrup flavoring (french vanilla I think), but it is really nothing more than sugary flavored syrup and lots of extra calories for something I was going to drink as fast as possible anyways....

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I have mixed all kinds of things with and in my kava. Every time I thought "oh this will be good" or "oh this will mask the bitterness" and every single time I was wrong. I much prefer (and don't mind many) just drinking my traditional prep kava, and if it is particularly harsh or bitter following it with a drink, or food. The kava taste tends to overpower just about everything else. The one thing I found that was not truly awful and masked the most was the fake coffee syrup flavoring (french vanilla I think), but it is really nothing more than sugary flavored syrup and lots of extra calories for something I was going to drink as fast as possible anyways....
I think the only reason I like the taste of coffee is because of the association with the wake up call I get in the morning and that's just light roast. Only fruit juice for has done the taste of kava well, nothing can completely mask it. I don't mind much because once it's down, it's down but it still lingers a bit all night. Something you just gotta deal with and I'm sure at some point you don't care anyways.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
For those of you who use chasers (whether food or liquid chasers), I'm guessing you're all chuggers as opposed to sippers.
I mean, it's hard to imagine someone being a 'kava sipper' and chasing after every sip, because that would amount to a lot of chasing material ;
although I supposed it could be done.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
For those of you who use chasers (whether food or liquid chasers), I'm guessing you're all chuggers as opposed to sippers.
I mean, it's hard to imagine someone being a 'kava sipper' and chasing after every sip, because that would amount to a lot of chasing material ;
although I supposed it could be done.
sometimes I drink something else alongside the kava I'm sipping, like green tea with some CBD hemp flower cannabutter floating on top as soon as I wake, with my chemo.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I have mixed all kinds of things with and in my kava. Every time I thought "oh this will be good" or "oh this will mask the bitterness" and every single time I was wrong.
How about cocoa powder + sweetener of choice ?
How about Coconut Water ? Not the milk, but the water.
Cinnamon ? Nutmeg, or Clove ?

Last edited: