What's new

Immune to Kava?

I desperately want to achieve good results with kava but I think I'm at the point of giving up now. Here's an outline of my history of kava consumpion:

Kona Kava 500g: Bought a bag of this about 2 years ago and got nothing from it apart from nausea. I gave up on kava for almost a year after this, until I read at the kava lounge that Kona is crappy kava, then I decided to give kava another go.

Over the last year or so, I've had the following:

Melo Melo - BKH 500g
Real Kava - Instant Kava 100g
Kava Cola - Global Kava Exports 24 pack
Kava Candies - 50+ Packs
Vanuatu 3 - KBR 1 pound
Quick Kava Instant - Global Kava Exports 250g
Tongan Pride - KBR 1 pound
Fiji Waka - KBR 1 pound
Paradise Kava - Co2 Extract 60g

The only time I've really felt something was after about a month of consuming kava ~4 times a week, I finally got a proper buzz after drinking 4 bottles of kava cola followed by 4 tablespoons of Van 3 (although this wonderful feeling only lasted maybe 15 minutes!). The following day I got another wonderful euphoric feeling from taking a few grammes of Paradise Co2 extract all on it's own, but since then I've had no experience like that again. I've even upped my dosage to 6 tablespoons of root powder and all I ever get is some mild sedation (if I'm lucky) that is gone after half an hour. The only thing that consistently does anything for me is the Co2 extract, but only once was that ever really truly great.

So basically I've had two memorable experiences (one about 15 mins, the other about an hour) from all that consumption. I'm very disappointed and frustrated to say the least. My question is, are some people simply immune to the full effects of kava?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I agree with Deleted User that it can all be about attitude and atmosphere. In Vanuatu kava drinking settings are always conducive to "listening to the kava". Nakamals are quiet and dark. Kava drinking tends to be very introspective and personal.

Make sure you're drinking enough potent kava as well. Six tablespoons does not sound like much. I don't measure kava in tablespoons, but in cups. You should have two strong servings in a session, and two strong servings should mean using at least a half cup of good dry root to two cups of water. Make sure you're doing a lot of kneading and squeezing as well to help work out the kavalactones. I like to do this for ten minutes. Your forearms should be tight when you're done.

I'm a fan of traditionally prepared kava as opposed to instants and extracts in most situations. I like the squeezing process, it makes me feel more in touch with the tradition, and may help with your "kava relationship" as Deleted User so eloquently put it. Melo Melo is my personal favorite but there are plenty of good options from us at Bula Kava House and other vendors. Find what works for you.

Also make sure you're drinking your kava on an empty stomach. Try a little hot tea or a small warm meal after as well, which improves absorption.

In the end, no one is "immune" to kava. It has scientifically proven active ingredients. Some people are more sensitive than others but prepared correctly using the right product and you will get an effect.

Good luck!

infraredz

BULA!
It could also be that you just never quite got over the reverse tolerance. You said the only time you felt it was after about a month of consuming it ~4 times a week.

I remember reading somewhere in the depths of the old Yuku forums that it can take a solid month or two to get over the reverse tolerance. The best way to do it is daily use and as Judd said, 4-6 tablespoons isn't all that much, especially when you're trying to get over that RT. Everyone seems to need slightly differing amounts for the same effect, even without the reverse tolerance. I would also suggest to make sure you are drinking it on an empty stomach and really preparing it properly.

Honestly though, since the best effects came at a time after you'd been using it almost daily for a long amount of time, it makes me wonder if you just never got over the RT.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

I just finished reading an article about people who eat carbohydrates and their digestive system secretes enzymes that turn the carbos to alcohol. Human fermentors. So let's look at the possibility that you have something unique going on in your gut. Kava candy always works for me and the extracts worked for you a few times.

If you haven't already done it, try this. Take a few candies or extract (or both) and let them melt under your tongue. In other words, bypass your digestive system. There is a chance that you are taking some kind of supplement or food on a daily basis that could interfere with the absorption of Kavalactones. Like say, "brussel sprouts". You would be a perfect lab experiment for somebody studying Kava and I say this with all due respect. In fact, we are studying you now. lol.

I would also ask if you have any trouble getting effects from other drugs that effect one's state of mind. Lastly, I know there are people who are just tolerant to certain drugs and you wouldn't be the first one. It's not weird, it's body chemistry.

Please keep us posted, you got everyone scratching their head until their hair falls out.

My goal is also anxiety relief and relaxation. I don't think I am expecting something that kava cannot provide, because on those 2 occasions that it did work, it REALLY did work.

My prep is presently 6 tablespoons soaked for about an hour in 2 cups of lukewarm water, followed by 20 minutes vigorous kneading and straining through my fijian strainer. I'm pretty sure I'm straining it well, because the kava doesn't have much left to give on the 2nd wash. I always go at least 3 hours without food (usually longer) before drinking kava.

Like I say, I had my 2 best experiences after a few weeks of 'attack dosing', but oddly, even after continuing on this schedule for another few weeks, I haven't got much of an effect since. Even if I were getting the desired effects from regular use, I don't think I would want to drink kava 4-5 times per week just to maintain my ability to 'feel' it. Ideally, I just want to use it once or twice a week max, so I'm probably wasting my time :)

As for my diet. I'm a vegan. I eat a lot of tofu, quinoa, cous cous, and chickpeas, and probably too many carbs also. It might be possible that my diet has some impact.

infraredz

BULA!
Definitely sounds like it's due to the reverse tolerance. The deal with reverse tolerance (from my experience) is that once you get over it, you don't need to break through it again so you won't need to take it daily once you break through the RT.

You sound like you're doing everything correctly, and I highly doubt it's your diet to be honest.

I don't think you're "immune" or doomed, but it seems you might be in the unfortunate spot of having a big RT to break through. Try 8 tablespoons, or 10 for that matter and keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there :)

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Use it daily, use at least 8tbsp and knead the hell out of it. You've got to give it a chance to build up in your system.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
8tbsp is my minimum. I'm a bit hard headed, you may be too. I'll go up to 16 if I really want to be limp.

porsche11

Kava Curious
I had much better results when I switched from the fijian strainer to a nut milk bag or paint strainer as the holes are bigger and let a lot more sediment through. Plus I don't have to use as much kava. Good luck!

Nihilist

Kava Enthusiast
The first time I drank it I used like a whole cup of powder. I believe I felt very little and threw up.
Now I can feel nice from just 2 large tablespoons.

I don't remember having as much trouble as you are. I think it only took me a few months or something.