What's new

Member Soapbox Insomnia / Dulling Effect Caused by Hemp Oil

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
So in my quest for insomia remedies, and general health, prior to trying Kava, I got some cold pressed hemp oil (note: actual nutiva hemp, not mj) which is supposed to contain CBDs (the medicinal part of hemp plants, as opposed to the THC). While I have enjoyed the energy boost it gives in the morning, taking 2 teaspoons, I've noticed it seems to cause a very strong dulling effect on the kava that evening, causing me to use a great deal more kava to get similar effects. In reviewing the hemp oil customer reviews on amazon, others reported similar effects with their use of mj (which I dont use and cant attest to). I find it rather interesting though that the CBDs appear to affect Kava though. I thought I'd mention this as it might save others some money though, and this may be unique to me.

Until now, my only real herbal treatment for anxiety has been "Calms Forte" which is great for taking the edge off when you have racing mind. Its got chamamile and other goodies in there, but I find it effective when one starts getting stressed/panicked, and its work friendly.

As far as kava experience, Im a noobie, hoping to be experienced here fairly soon. Given that all Kava's are different and each user seems to experience them differently, here's my run down so far.

Kona Kava: my break in kava. Started with coco instant, now on the pine apple flavor till my other orders come in. I find this to be fairly heady and energizing, rather than heavy. Right now its my go to till I can try the others.

Kava.com instant - for me not heady at all, but more of a heavy affect. More relaxing to the body but not as much fun. The vanilla flavor in this is really good though. Add 2 splenda, and its a pretty enjoyable drink taste wise.

GSL Kava Kava supplaments "muscle relaxant and sleep aid" - what got me down the kava road to begin with. Its ok in supplament form, but the drink is far better. Seem to only use when I run out of kava drink. With 4, there is some relaxation.

So far none of these have cured my insomnia, which has been a life long struggle. Some have helped. Still have to take 1.5 mgs of melatonin to actually achieve sleep. But I have ordered a bunch of new varietys to try an anxiously await their arrival. 1 year ago I quit drinking - which was arguably self medicating insomia. So far I really dig kava. I equate it as the e-cigarette of alcohol - all the enjoyment without the health issues / side effects.

On Order:
KavaKing: Coco, Berry Shake, Vanilla Shake, and Vanuatu Blend. Why? Swanson had a 15% off coupon and free shipping if you ordered enough. Im getting 2.5 lbs for $60. At very least I figured It would build a reserve.
Kava by Rex: Togan pride and Vanuatu3 limited. 2 lbs, also a verry good price. ~70 shipped.
Wakacon fiji waka - prime shipping is fast.
GHK - instant sampler pack.

I'll report back on my experiences with these soon.

D

Deleted User01

That's a heck of a grocery list ya got there. Too bad you don't live in my neighborhood so I could "help you" in your search for the right kava. :rolleyes: Please let us know if any kava helps you sleep. That is my favorite effect from kava, deep sleep. I like the Nene from GHK for that. It is mildly sedating and not as potent as others. Maybe that is why it is sleep friendly. But I don't have insomnia, I just need something to turn off the motor in my brain at night so I can sleep peacefully. Gook Luck!

R

Rookietwoshoes

The CBD's in hemp oil significantly lessen the psychoactive effects of THC. In other words, it's a buzzkill. I'm assuming that it might possibly also reduce the psychoactive effects of kava as well, judging from your recent experience.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yangonin, a kavalactone, has an affinity for the CB1 receptor. We don't actually know that it's an agonist, like THC, but it's interesting that you noticed that effect.

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
Just got my instant sampler pack in last night from GHK. I didnt understand the hype and the expense initially... suddenly I see why they are mentioned so much. Accidentally tried Mahakea first (intended on moi), but figured what the hell. After being stuck on the couch for an hour going "woah", I looked at its description. kavaketones at 19%.. huh, that might explain the effectiveness of those 2 shells. Later I tried Nene, and your right , that stuff is wonderfully calming and sleep inducing. I look forward to tyring more of the nene, as it may be the kava insomnia answer I was looking for. Feeling great today.
That's a heck of a grocery list ya got there. Too bad you don't live in my neighborhood so I could "help you" in your search for the right kava. :rolleyes: Please let us know if any kava helps you sleep. That is my favorite effect from kava, deep sleep. I like the Nene from GHK for that. It is mildly sedating and not as potent as others. Maybe that is why it is sleep friendly. But I don't have insomnia, I just need something to turn off the motor in my brain at night so I can sleep peacefully. Gook Luck!