What's new

Interesting Kava Chaser Discovery

KavaCat

Meow.
So I've been away from my kava for a while, don't really know why, just how it has been going for me. And I usually only post when I'm having kava. So hello again forum! What's up, who's new these past few months? :)

Anyway, I had some kava candy and then some extract I had from Paradise. I don't mind the taste too much, but I had put some paradise extract on my tongue and went out in the yard to check on my plants after a few minutes, without drinking anything, and had that lingering bitter taste that extract seems to leave. I have this big pot with mint and thai basil, so I'm pulling grasshoppers off of them, and heading the flowers so they keep bushing out instead of going to seed, when I break a small stem on the thai basil by accident. I go, meh, and put the thai basil into my mouth, because for one thing, I don't use pesticides, and for another, I love thai basil. But wow, it just annihilated the bitterness that was left. Completely gone. So if you guys are interested in trying that, you can pick it up at Asian markets. If you've ever had Pho, it's the leafy basil they serve with Pho, you know, on the plate with the bean sprouts and peppers. :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
There are volumes to be spoken about the first part of your post. Although it may seem contradictory, it always makes me smile when someone talks about how they've been away from kava for a while. Really tells all when someone asks me to speak about whether kava is addictive.

don't really know why, just how it has been going for me
This, to me, is the hallmark of a non-addictive substance.

Also, my parents have a garden I'm pretty sure includes Thai Basil, so I'll definitely have grab some the next time I visit. Thanks for the suggestion!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
What's up, who's new these past few months? :)
Happy Friday all! I am one newish member in these past few months (damn it's been almost a year, time flies), having some kava delivered in under an hour, as always, can't wait. Kava is extra special when the weather stinks like today.

Jerome

Kava Lover
So I've been away from my kava for a while, don't really know why, just how it has been going for me. And I usually only post when I'm having kava. So hello again forum! What's up, who's new these past few months? :)

Anyway, I had some kava candy and then some extract I had from Paradise. I don't mind the taste too much, but I had put some paradise extract on my tongue and went out in the yard to check on my plants after a few minutes, without drinking anything, and had that lingering bitter taste that extract seems to leave. I have this big pot with mint and thai basil, so I'm pulling grasshoppers off of them, and heading the flowers so they keep bushing out instead of going to seed, when I break a small stem on the thai basil by accident. I go, meh, and put the thai basil into my mouth, because for one thing, I don't use pesticides, and for another, I love thai basil. But wow, it just annihilated the bitterness that was left. Completely gone. So if you guys are interested in trying that, you can pick it up at Asian markets. If you've ever had Pho, it's the leafy basil they serve with Pho, you know, on the plate with the bean sprouts and peppers. :)
I've got Thai basil all around the house, I'll have to give it a try.

By the way, when breaking off the thai basil flowers, put them in hot water with lemon grass and ginger. Makes a phenomenal herbal tea. The thai basil gives it a sweetness that doesn't require any additional sweetener.

KavaCat

Meow.
There are volumes to be spoken about the first part of your post. Although it may seem contradictory, it always makes me smile when someone talks about how they've been away from kava for a while. Really tells all when someone asks me to speak about whether kava is addictive.

This, to me, is the hallmark of a non-addictive substance.

Also, my parents have a garden I'm pretty sure includes Thai Basil, so I'll definitely have grab some the next time I visit. Thanks for the suggestion!
I know, right?! I think we spoke about that long ago, when someone was asking how often we all have kava, and I said sometimes I'll have it all week, and sometimes I forget about it for weeks or even a couple months. This is the longest I haven't had any, for sure. Although I was nibbling on kava candies here and there. Not every day, though.

KavaCat

Meow.
I've got Thai basil all around the house, I'll have to give it a try.

By the way, when breaking off the thai basil flowers, put them in hot water with lemon grass and ginger. Makes a phenomenal herbal tea. The thai basil gives it a sweetness that doesn't require any additional sweetener.
That sounds fantastic! Unfortunately my plant isn't big enough to do more than nibble on, but I'm just learning to garden. FOr some reason it was doing really poorly, was very small and scraggly, until the mint got much bigger. Once the mint grew around it, it took off. I guess it needed a little shade near the roots or perhaps the two plants have a good synergy. I have a regular basil that refuses to grow OR die. It's looked exactly the same for a couple of months now, can't figure out why. They're all in a very large planter, and it didn't benefit from being next to the mint the way the thai basil did. I think next year I'll fill the pot with a few different mints and the thai basil, but maybe put the regular basil in the ground. It's strange that the basil, of all the plants I have tried to grow, is supposed to be the easiest thing, and it's the plant that, historically, I just can not keep alive. XD

I threw a few morning glory seeds next to the fence (hoping to choke out some of the trash vines that just WILL NOT go away), and they have grown so vigorously, that they kept putting up these long tendrils that went past the top of the fence. I wove them together, down into the bush, and in just a couple months, the plant has literally made itself a vine trellis that's a foot taller than the fence. Some of the leaves are bigger than my hand. So I have no idea what is up with this basil, or why it won't grow. Plants with similar delicacy seem to be doing great. o_O

Last edited:

Jerome

Kava Lover
That sounds fantastic! Unfortunately my plant isn't big enough to do more than nibble on, but I'm just learning to garden. FOr some reason it was doing really poorly, was very small and scraggly, until the mint got much bigger. Once the mint grew around it, it took off. I guess it needed a little shade near the roots or perhaps the two plants have a good synergy. I have a regular basil that refuses to grow OR die. It's looked exactly the same for a couple of months now, can't figure out why. They're all in a very large planter, and it didn't benefit from being next to the mint the way the thai basil did. I think next year I'll fill the pot with a few different mints and the thai basil, but maybe put the regular basil in the ground. It's strange that the basil, of all the plants I have tried to grow, is supposed to be the easiest thing, and it's the plant that, historically, I just can not keep alive. XD

I threw a few morning glory seeds next to the fence (hoping to choke out some of the trash vines that just WILL NOT go away), and they have grown so vigorously, that they kept putting up these long tendrils that went past the top of the fence. I wove them together, down into the bush, and in just a couple months, the plant has literally made itself a vine trellis that's a foot taller than the fence. Some of the leaves are bigger than my hand. So I have no idea what is up with this basil, or why it won't grow. Plants with similar delicacy seem to be doing great. o_O
I've noticed Basil's thrive with frequent pruning. So the more you use it, the better it grows. Then there's the obvious, don't over water,don't under water, give them a good fertilizer, not too much sun, not too little, make sure the initial soil is quality and suitable for potting.

Morning glories are gorgeous, and if you're in to that kind of thing, the seeds are a potent psychoactive, but if you think kava makes you nauseated, morning glory seeds are worse.