What's new

Introducing myself

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi, I've had lots of support and wisdom already but another member suggested I introduce myself.

I'm Irish, live in Winchester in the UK - Jane Austen country, beautiful. I'm a therapist and work both privately and agency. I haven't had alcohol or illegal drugs for 18 years. I was in a serious car accident 6 years ago and as a result became addicted to pretty high grade painkillers and valium. Have been looking for something less 'chemical and liver damaging' and managed to taper off myself then found K@ about 2 months ago. I couldn't take to it and didn't like that it was addictive, it did help with pain/insomnia but I just didn't want to swap one addiction for another. Then I found Kava. I'm still very new to it. So my experience with it has been a bit hit and miss. Seem to get a headache with it but learned on here to really go for the water which I have and that's helped. I hope to use in moderation, I started off with Yogi tea bags and still take them sometime but am now on to powdered root....I like it so far.

From my research I read that Kava is non addictive which is why I am exploring it....but I've read on forums that people get addicted....is that true? I guess everything in moderation.

Anyway thanks for all the helpful info so far - I really do appreciate everyone who has taken time out to answer my questions. Thanks

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Cessation of kava causes no physical withdrawal symptoms.
Can confirm. I'm just now getting over the stomach flu (good god, talk about agony) and haven't consumed kava in 48 hours and I'm 100% fine (minus the awful sickness). I've been drinking kava daily for almost a decade.

D

Deleted User01

The addictive thing is nonsense. For example, the Aborigines were thought to drink too much booze and people said they were addicted. They brought in Kava and they started doing Kava all day long instead of booze. So then they took Kava away. What the government dumbos never realized is that neither booze or kava was the problem. The problem is that they need jobs and the damn government can't seem to provide the real solution. Kava is not addictive and in fact I have been downsizing my dose on my kava days. I just ingest whatever it takes to get thru the afternoon and sleep like a child at night.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
First off, welcome Sadie!

You've come to the right place.

In my short time with kava (about three months) I don't drink it every day, and I don't find myself craving it or feeling a compulsion to keep drinking it. I definitely do enjoy it and what it's done for me in my life, though simply knowing it's available and the effect it has on me is satisfying in and of itself.

I've never noticed any withdrawal symptoms, and I don't feel like I have to drink kava to "cope". I have no need to conceal my kava use from anyone (including my kids) or drink it on the sly---two behaviors that I associate with "addiction."

Like @Deleted User says, anything pleasureable can be psychologically addictive if you structure your life such that it's your only real payoff at the end of the day. There's plenty of research and documentation on the fact that kava doesn't build a tolerance like addictive substances, and that cessation doesn't cause any withdrawal symptoms.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
Welcome to the forum, Sadie.

You won't be disappointed. There is much information and success stories as how kava has changed people's lives for the better.

I have a little over a month with kava. I, also, don't use it everyday. I use it in medicinal doses for my anxiety and OCD disorder and kava does the trick for me where other things I have tried for over 6 years failed in doing anything for me. It is a breath of relief to have unnecessary anxiety whisked away a great deal and OCD practically nonexistent.

Once in a while I have increased the dosage to where the kava works in "tranquilizer mode" for the times when I really needed some rest and relaxation. What I find fascinating is how the relaxation works but without the negative stuff like dopiness and zombiness, if that's a word, that come when taking a pharmaceutical tranquilizer or muscle relaxant.

For me kava doesn't feel addictive. I take it as needed. I was off from it for a very short time because of an issue of being told to stop taking it by dentists, unnecessarily, and there was no withdrawal effects at all.
Glad to be reacquainted with my roots, kava roots that is. ::happyshell::

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
Just as an example: I see I wrote the word "come" instead of "comes" when talking about dopiness and such. I feel no need to go back and make an edit/correction to that word. I am accepting of my mistake there.

Before kava my OCD would be right up there with always needing to be perfect all of the time and doing so created symptoms of fear and helplessness and body sensations until the corrections would be made to the satisfaction of my mind. It was like "do it or else".

Having OCD not be a thorn in the ass is a freedom I am grateful to experience.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you guys. This is the friendliest forum I've found. No judgement of doing something wrong like using an old thread etc I like that. I'm not a child and I guess this community doesn't make me feel like I am one. I get the physical addiction not happening but I do understand psychological addiction which I can live with. Coming off Valium was hell on earth and I do mean that, couldn't work, couldn't eat, was a wreck for about 5 months. I'm now down to 0.5mg per evening and feel I have got myself back. I'm loving Kava although I only have access to one type so far .....we in the UK are the most over nannied state on earth...it makes me so angry. I get stomach pains but drink Peppermint tea for any bloating and Ginger tea for the nausea...from reading on the forum I believe that's normal as my body adjusts to it. Thanks again for all of you taking time out to both welcome me and share your experiences with me, appreciate it

D

Deleted User01

@Sadie, per your Nausea. If you didn't already know, @Global Kava Exports (GKE) sells kava in the UK and he carries Hawaiian Kava. The Hawaiian kavas are headier and lighter. You might ask him for a recommendation. Perhaps a mild instant kava might suit your stomach. Some of the strong kava from Vanuatu can cause Nausea in some folks. But some people love the heavier kavas. I like the headier lighter ones because I use Kava during the working hours ... in the afternoon. Doing Kava in the morning is a recipe for conking out before the end of
the day.:sleep:

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I've just ordered some Nene - is this good? I've read it is sedating which is what I'm really after....the stuff I'm taking right now is Vanuatu and it's giving me a thumping headache....vendor is the one you mention and he said they've had several people feed that back so not sure why. Am hoping the Nene is more relaxing...have you experience of this one?

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Oh good...I have not got a clue what to buy so I'm glad this is a good one....root powder so do I do the straining/kneading etc? Also is it ok to do two batches and keep one in the fridge or does that diminish it in any way

D

Deleted User01

I agree with Kapm. That is my favorite afterwork kava. The Hawaiian Islanders were known to use Nene on their "fretful" children. The newer version is a little stronger but it is also very light in color and the taste is very mild. Excellent Choice for someone with a queasy stomach. Good Luck!

P.S. I used to make big batches of Kava on Sunday morning and put them in Bottles with lock caps. There are the same bottles that you can find in the beer section of your local store. I made mine with coconut water and kava (do not use coconut creme). So they easily keep for a week. After 2 weeks, the taste gets iffy but the kava is still potent.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh good...I have not got a clue what to buy so I'm glad this is a good one....root powder so do I do the straining/kneading etc? Also is it ok to do two batches and keep one in the fridge or does that diminish it in any way
The root powder does require the kneading/straining bit. It's perfectly fine to keep one in the fridge. Looks like you're on your way to being a professional kavasseur!

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I've just ordered some Nene - is this good? I've read it is sedating which is what I'm really after....the stuff I'm taking right now is Vanuatu and it's giving me a thumping headache....vendor is the one you mention and he said they've had several people feed that back so not sure why. Am hoping the Nene is more relaxing...have you experience of this one?
Nene is great! You ordered well. It's my favorite relaxing/calming/chillout/sleep-like-a-baby cultivar!

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I'm so pleased - Kava is so new to me I haven't really got a clue what I'm ordering. Reading on here is very helpful and also the vendor is very helpful...can't wait for it to come...from Ireland to UK...hope it gets here ok.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Can I ask how you prepare and what dosage you take....do you take before dinner?
I'm not a stickler about food and kava because it doesn't seem to matter for me. That said, I do try to do my session before I eat if I can.

I mix 1/2 cup of the medium grind root to 2 cups of warm water, steep for 30 minutes, then knead thoroughly in my bag for about 10 minutes, squishing around under the water, twisting all the liquid out and repeating the process. I make sure to put lots of pressure on the wet root material to squeeze all of the kavalactones out.

Then I drink 4oz glasses of grog at approximately 20 minute intervals until I've had all of it. Onset is at around 30-40 minutes, and it latest a goodly 3 or 4 hours.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for this. How do you keep the water warm....do you empty and top up? And you do this twice? I've been drinking 500ml at a time as advised by the vendor...I wonder if that's why I'm having horrible headaches? Sorry for all the questions but I'm still learning and want to get as much out of my Kava as I can...I use nylon, that ok?