What's new

Introducing myself

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Hi. Can I ask for some advice. I received my Nene today and wondered if I should take the same dosage as I have been taking with my Kaolik? I've been using 50mg in 500ml of water and recently strained twice - do different strains/types need different amounts and straining/prep?
Short answer: maybe. Different varieties can have differing strengths and effects. Once I found a good amount that worked for me (1/2 cup kava to 2 cups water) I tended to use the same prep ratio to better compare the relative effects. Nene you'll find more sedating, I'm willing to bet, and more calming/soothing/relaxing and not as heady.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Short answer: maybe. Different varieties can have differing strengths and effects. Once I found a good amount that worked for me (1/2 cup kava to 2 cups water) I tended to use the same prep ratio to better compare the relative effects. Nene you'll find more sedating, I'm willing to bet, and more calming/soothing/relaxing and not as heady.
I've read a lot on here about 'heady' - what's heady? What's Krunked?

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry should have looked - did a search honest. I don't get this bit Chemotype. This is just me and how my brain works....I think I'll try to stick to the 'heavy' varieties mostly. Thanks, very helpful, much appreciated

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Sorry should have looked - did a search honest. I don't get this bit Chemotype. This is just me and how my brain works....I think I'll try to stick to the 'heavy' varieties mostly. Thanks, very helpful, much appreciated
Chemotype is easy "after" you figure it out. But I'm still trying to find a really simple way to describe it.

To help convey the concept try this little math test:
Take a bottle with 1/2 liter (500 ml) of water in it (not literally, just imagine it)
Now grab six glasses with the following capacities.
Glass1 = 10 ml
Glass2 = 250 ml
Glass3 = 50 ml
Glass4 = 80 ml
Glass 5 = 20 ml
Glass 6 = 90 ml

Now fill each glass full. Your bottle of water should now be empty and all the glasses full of water.

Before I continue... reply with a list of the glasses ordered by size, with the largest being first in the list and the smallest being last.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah. Some of them are stronger than others, so you'll use correspondingly less. I honestly can't recall having nene, so I couldn't say, but I remember kaolik as one of the stronger ones, so I think it'll be fine to use the same dose and see what happens.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Any question is a good question! ...as long as someone here has the answer. We're not the "did it occur to you to use the search function" type of community. We love answering questions. No matter how many faqs or threads on the topics exist. So no need to be sorry. We appreciate you asking :)

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Chemotype is easy "after" you figure it out. But I'm still trying to find a really simple way to describe it.

To help convey the concept try this little math test:
Take a bottle with 1/2 liter (500 ml) of water in it (not literally, just imagine it)
Now grab six glasses with the following capacities.
Glass1 = 10 ml
Glass2 = 250 ml
Glass3 = 50 ml
Glass4 = 80 ml
Glass 5 = 20 ml
Glass 6 = 90 ml

Now fill each glass full. Your bottle of water should now be empty and all the glasses full of water.

Before I continue... reply with a list of the glasses ordered by size, with the largest being first in the list and the smallest being last.
Ok this feels like a test...but I'll have a go.
Largest: 250ml
Next: 90ml
Next 80ml
Next: 50ml
Next: 20ml

Did I get it right? I've just consumed my first ever Nene so if I did then yipee

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Any question is a good question! ...as long as someone here has the answer. We're not the "did it occur to you to use the search function" type of community. We love answering questions. No matter how many faqs or threads on the topics exist. So no need to be sorry. We appreciate you asking :)
That is so sweet of you thanks....got a right boll*ing from another forum for not searching - I just put in the wrong words in the search engine I think

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah. Some of them are stronger than others, so you'll use correspondingly less. I honestly can't recall having nene, so I couldn't say, but I remember kaolik as one of the stronger ones, so I think it'll be fine to use the same dose and see what happens.
Well thank you for your feedback....I've only had Kaolik so far and yes it is strong..in taste anyway. I've just had my first 500ml to 40grams of Kene and I'm listening to music...this also opens me up to parts of myself that are new/put in a box...do you ever feel sad when you take Kava? I've notice in the small time I've been using it that there is a sadness mixed in with other stuff...listening to music as hubby home late and I have the lamps on and not the spotlights...very nice...makes me very reflective

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Ok this feels like a test...but I'll have a go.
Largest: 250ml
Next: 90ml
Next 80ml
Next: 50ml
Next: 20ml

Did I get it right? I've just consumed my first ever Nene so if I did then yipee
It is a test. You're close to what I looking for (you missed the 10ml one). The answer is:
Glass2 = 250 ml
Glass 6 = 90 ml
Glass4 = 80 ml
Glass3 = 50 ml
Glass 5 = 20 ml
Glass1 = 10 ml

Now you can calculate the capacity of each glass in percentage of the total by dividing the capacity of the glass into the capacity of the water bottle (500 ml). By doing that you end up with:
Glass2 = 250 ml = 50%
Glass 6 = 90 ml = 18%
Glass4 = 80 ml = 16%
Glass3 = 50 ml = 10%
Glass 5 = 20 ml = 4%
Glass1 = 10 ml = 2%

From that you create the Chemotype (it's a fake example for now). To do that you just order the number of each glass in the list side by side (instead top to bottom). By doing that you get:
Glass2 Glass6 Glass4 Glass3 Glass5 Glass1

Now remove the word "Glass" and you get our (make believe) chemotype:

It means that glass 2 has the most water in it and glass 1 has the least. If you understand this, let me know and I'll finish my example for you. :)

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
It is a test. You're close to what I looking for (you missed the 10ml one). The answer is:
Glass2 = 250 ml
Glass 6 = 90 ml
Glass4 = 80 ml
Glass3 = 50 ml
Glass 5 = 20 ml
Glass1 = 10 ml

Now you can calculate the capacity of each glass in percentage of the total by dividing the capacity of the glass into the capacity of the water bottle (500 ml). By doing that you end up with:
Glass2 = 250 ml = 50%
Glass 6 = 90 ml = 18%
Glass4 = 80 ml = 16%
Glass3 = 50 ml = 10%
Glass 5 = 20 ml = 4%
Glass1 = 10 ml = 2%

From that you create the Chemotype (it's a fake example for now). To do that you just order the number of each glass in the list side by side (instead top to bottom). By doing that you get:
Glass2 Glass6 Glass4 Glass3 Glass5 Glass1

Now remove the word "Glass" and you get our (make believe) chemotype:

It means that glass 2 has the most water in it and glass 1 has the least. If you understand this, let me know and I'll finish my example for you. :)

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Damnit, got it wrong. Yes I think I'm following you...I think...thank you for taking the time out to type this all up, much appreciated

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Well thank you for your feedback....I've only had Kaolik so far and yes it is strong..in taste anyway. I've just had my first 500ml to 40grams of Kene and I'm listening to music...this also opens me up to parts of myself that are new/put in a box...do you ever feel sad when you take Kava? I've notice in the small time I've been using it that there is a sadness mixed in with other stuff...listening to music as hubby home late and I have the lamps on and not the spotlights...very nice...makes me very reflective
Hmm...I can't say that I have had kava cause sadness, but when I take it in a melancholy mood it can definitely sort of amplify it.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Damnit, got it wrong. Yes I think I'm following you...I think...thank you for taking the time out to type this all up, much appreciated
Ok great. Here is my finale. :)
Kava has a bunch of different chemicals in it. But there are six major ones that cause the kava effects you get from consuming it. They are:
1 = demethoxy-yangonin
2 = Dihydrokavain
3 = Yangonin
4 = Kavain
5 = Dihydromethysticin
6 = Methysticin

They all exhibit different effects like one makes the kava more heady while another more heavy.
So in my phony example, replace the word glass x with the above kavalactone chemical (instead of water). By doing this you would get the following:
Glass2 (Dihydrokavain) = 250 ml = 50%
Glass 6 (Methysticin) = 90 ml = 18%
Glass4 (Kavain) = 80 ml = 16%
Glass3 (Yangonin) = 50 ml = 10%
Glass 5 (Dihydromethysticin) = 20 ml = 4%
Glass1 (Methysticin) = 10 ml = 2%

So if you use the chemotype we came up with in the last post of 264351. It would simply mean that for this phony example the largest quantity of chemical in the kava is Dihydrokavain and the least quantity of chemical in it is Methysticin.

Now take a "real" chemotype. Let's use your Nene. It has a Chemotype of 463251. This means that it has more of the chemical Kavain in it than anything else and the least chemical in Nene is Methysticin.

If you understand that, I have one more fun filled fact for you. :)

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
What is your fun filled fact? I seem to have ended up with a headache and not much else with my Nene...perhaps as it's my first time. I will use your posts tomorrow to make sense out of what I'm taking

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Make sure to drink plenty of water -- headaches are a sure sign of dehydration IMO. I always follow up the kava by chugging a full glass of water.