What's new

Is it just me? Why didn't Kalm work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiltCity

I am a kava newbie. Kalm was my first experience with it. I have read about reverse tolerance but didn't think that would mean my first Kalm with Kava would have zero effects.

Is there a chance that the drink was simply inactive or expired? I am not taking any medication that might interfere. I am not a large man, 170 lbs, so I am puzzled why I experienced virtually nothing other than the sweet taste.

GC

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You are exactly right in your assumption. Reverse tolerance plays a major role in kava effects for many people. Some are lucky, some aren't. I was one of the no so lucky ones and had to endure kava with no kava effects for a little while. Do yourself a favor and buy a strainer and some kava powder and make yourself a few glasses of full strength kava first. Once you've broken through your reverse tolerance there's no way a kalm with kava would be without effect.

We feel like the RT stage of kava is both a blessing and a curse. It can deter many, but it also can deter those looking for a quick fix. Keep at it. You won't be disappointed.

Edit: I've never had an inactive bottle. In fact they've been very predictable. I can predict with 100% accuracy that within 30 minutes of consumption I will be snoring on the couch.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
empty stomach, chug at least half the bottle.
otherwise it's the RT.
I found the stuff to be noticeable quite quickly, but not completely identical to a full kava root experience.
I want one right now :coffee:

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Hi Giltcity

Thanks for your purchase! As far as being inactive, its kind of a hard question to answer given everyone reacts a little differently to Kava especially at the beginning stages. I actually personally drank a bottle last night from the same batch and it put me out for the night. All Kalm with Kava has a minimum 1 year shelf life so i can guarantee it wouldn't be inactive. With that being said, being new to Kava, its kind of hard to know what to expect as well. Its definitely a more subtle feeling than alcohol. Kind of an overall sense of well being, calm, and happiness which is followed by a good deep sleep. Really no matter what type of kava you use, it takes quite a bit to get a drunken feeling. That's actually some of the allure of drinking Kava, that you can destress and get to a more peaceful state and not necessarily be mentally clouded over as with alcohol. For us its a fine line to walk supplying a product that's effective but not overwhelming for more sensitive people. Personally, it took me trying kava 5-6 times to get an idea of the effects and proper amount to use. I would second Kapms suggestion as well with buying some root and experimenting with what works best for you. And we'd love to send you out some more to build up that RT (there's one more giveaway left) :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum GiltCity! Question, did you notice if the Kava made you sleep better? I know feeling the effects can be an issue with RT but I always thought that Sleep would still be enhanced. Any feedback on that?

GiltCity

I slept worse actually. Went to bed at 10pm, woke at midnight, again at 3am and couldn't fall back asleep til 530am. Is that normal for me? Not really. I don't attribute that night's sleep to the kava though because a car alarm went off at 3am which is the reason I couldn't get back to sleep I guess. Maybe I should have tried the second bottle of Kalm then :)

As far as buying root to build up tolerance, what would be a good vendor for someone in my shoes?

As far as expecting a 'drunk' feeling, that is actually the opposite of what I was looking for. I don't drink alcohol for that reason. So... perhaps my question remains that maybe Kava is just not for me. I had the impression that it was more for mental clarity rather than knocking oneself out.

Cheers. And thanks for the replies.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Giltcity as far as alcohol goes I have and will always be the same way; a fine bottle with a real quality taste goes a long way for moi', and I'm talking not very often at that.

For me it's purely to go with a hearty steak or just one for a great game like that one my home town champions and the heat played recently, GO SPURS! :D

Besides that you should have a glance at the thread I just posted in, where I recollected that some may never experience the wonder of kava, chiefly due to body chemistry.

But this also happens to be a very unlikely woe brought about by kava; such a cruel mistress it can be at times.

For someone as yourself whom's just begun their possibly long journey with this interesting root of the earth, take it at your own pace for everyone's different; so who knows how much lies in wait for you!(y):D

One of the very reasons I find this adventure so exiting is because of this botanicals ancient tropical origination. And so I think of the natives anointing their days long past with a shell just as I continue too and appreciate it all the more because of that, BULA! :D

Last edited:

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Sorry for the example using alcohol Giltcity. That's just what most new people I come in contact with try to compare effects with.

As far as trying out some root, I would go for a Boroguru or Melo Melo. There are many highly knowledgeable people on this forum as well that may have some good suggestions. I know Chris from GHK could tell you anything you wanted to know about Hawaiian Kava and what would best suit you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

blindy107

Kava Lover
Just wanted to piggyback on what has been said. Reverse tolerance can be a huge obstacle for some like myself. It took me literally 2 months of taking multiple forms of kava to feel anything and another month to actually get used to drinking it without the shivering pre-drink aversion symptoms.

No idea how or why I stuck with it but I did and I'm happy. I would recommend what has been said already. Get some root and get into the ritual. I loved that from day one.

Another suggestion would be the extract capsules. They are pricey but being that it's supposedly a perfectly measured amount in each cap you can better judge when you start to feel symptoms because you will ingest the same amount every day.

My 2 cents

J

Monkava'd

Just wanted to piggyback on what has been said. Reverse tolerance can be a huge obstacle for some like myself. It took me literally 2 months of taking multiple forms of kava to feel anything and another month to actually get used to drinking it without the shivering pre-drink aversion symptoms.

No idea how or why I stuck with it but I did and I'm happy. I would recommend what has been said already. Get some root and get into the ritual. I loved that from day one.

Another suggestion would be the extract capsules. They are pricey but being that it's supposedly a perfectly measured amount in each cap you can better judge when you start to feel symptoms because you will ingest the same amount every day.

My 2 cents

J
HAHAHAH!....Oh sorry I was shouting with laughter again...*cough*....*cough*. I have a bad habit of doing that, though I couldn't help but think about how you said you've overcome that immeasurable hurdle of pre-drink aversion and smile....well at the least with normally prepared grog. So I do commend you for that achievement because I don't know if it just happens to be the strains, cultivars, potency etc; but I have yet to climb the wall of china that's pre-drink aversion Blindy.
That's by no means saying your grog isn't potent or anything about what strains you've had thus far. Only that personally, I've yet to "completely" get over this aspect, so really great for you, cheers and a round of applause!:D I'm proud there's those who've beat the taste of kava at it's own game dammit! (y)

blindy107

Kava Lover
Wellllllllllll. Maybe a few months. But the last 4 at least have been smooth sailing. It's been boroguru and fu'u and Fiji waka and nambawan. I do cut with a cup of coconut milk too. Sooooooo.... Maybe a little cheating. But I seriously used get the shivers. Like when I used to drink jaeger by the bottle when I was a kid. Just the smell would make me salivate and twitch. Hahaha!

@Monkava'd being an ex addict you learn to just deal with shitty flavors and effects to get the one you want. Also have you tasted some of the protein powders and bars lately?? Rather have kava....Haha

Monkava'd

Wellllllllllll. Maybe a few months. But the last 4 at least have been smooth sailing. It's been boroguru and fu'u and Fiji waka and nambawan. I do cut with a cup of coconut milk too. Sooooooo.... Maybe a little cheating. But I seriously used get the shivers. Like when I used to drink jaeger by the bottle when I was a kid. Just the smell would make me salivate and twitch. Hahaha!

@Monkava'd being an ex addict you learn to just deal with shitty flavors and effects to get the one you want. Also have you tasted some of the protein powders and bars lately?? Rather have kava....Haha
Oh believe me you don't even want to know the drinks I've unfortunately had the opportunity of consuming; though I guess I can cut around the edges a bit.

In one incidence pure vegetable oil was an accidental concoction. Than pure lemon extract and various other unmentionable things just in case you've eaten anything within the last couple minutes:yuck: hahaha :ROFLMAO:.
It's just that kava tends to have a...special...sort of earthy flavor which I don't find revolting (all to similar in fact) but again I can't say it's my cup'o'tea ya know? ;):)
Oh and those shivers you speak of, I normally get after the kava is chugged.
This is my sneaking suspicion that it's a personal reaction to either the distaste or the general upward trend of kavain intake. That's something I'll have to look into for a more solid conclusion. :bookworm:

Last edited:

blindy107

Kava Lover
Oh believe me you don't even want to know the drinks I've unfortunately had the opportunity of consuming; though I guess I can cut around the edges a bit.

In one incidence pure vegetable oil was an accidental concoction, than pure lemon extract and various other unmentionable things just in case you've eaten anything within the last couple minutes:yuck: hahaha :ROFLMAO:.
It's just that kava tends to have a...special...sort of earthy flavor which I don't find revolting (all to similar in fact) but again I can't say it's my cup'o'tea ya know? ;):)
Oh and those shivers you speak of, I normally get after the kava is chugged.
This is my sneaking suspicion that it's a personal reaction to either the distaste or the general upward trend of kavain intake. That's something I'll have to look into for a more solid conclusion. :bookworm:
The thought of drinking veggie oil makes me cringe. What were you thinking?

Monkava'd

The thought of drinking veggie oil makes me cringe. What were you thinking?
Yeah I failed to highlight the more important context of that sentence....now it is fixed...sort of. Let's just say some friends of mine were not being treated by me to dinner that night; as a cause of that transgression . :rolleyes:;)

Monkava'd

Oh lord what a day/night that was and you know what Blindy? I'm not exactly innocent either....even though I wouldn't have taken it in that direction; but these were different times and none of us are so childish at this point. :D

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
As far as expecting a 'drunk' feeling, that is actually the opposite of what I was looking for. I don't drink alcohol for that reason. So... perhaps my question remains that maybe Kava is just not for me. I had the impression that it was more for mental clarity rather than knocking oneself out.

Cheers. And thanks for the replies.
I use Kava exactly for the mental clarity I get from high Kavain/low DHM/DHK strains of Kava. (Please reference the Kavapedia for information regarding Kavain/DHM/DHK properties). Kavain is related to the mental effect and DHM/DHK is related to the body load/heavy effect. I would second the suggestion of trying a Melo Melo strain (Judd at Bula Kava House sells a highly regarded and affordable Melo). That might be one of the best ones to work through RT with as when you break through RT you will know it. I prefer Solomon Islands kava from Nakamal@Home for that mental clarity and it is energizing in a way also. Helps me maintain focus while simultaneously wiping away mental stress. It's an interesting experience.

Chris at Gourmet Hawaiian Kava sells awesome kava, mostly High Kavain/low DHM/DHK but I would almost recommend you not get any of that until after breaking through RT to make it worth the extra $$ you'll spend for such quality root. Not to take business away from Chris but it's called Gourmet for a reason, no need to waste it on RT. Although, maybe Chris has a suggestion for beating RT :nailbiting:

I'm realizing that I'm a 463xxx chemotype kind of guy. I'd really like to try a 436xxx chemotype, if one even exists...say, @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava , does a 436xxx chemotype exist in kava? I really love that Yangonin, that's what separates the Hawaiian kavas from the pack, for me at least!

Good luck on your Kava journey and Welcome!

Mod edit: Since this is a post in the vendor's specific "Kalm with Kava" sub forum, I removed the links to other vendors.

Last edited by a moderator:

blindy107

Kava Lover
Oh lord what a day/night that was and you know what Blindy? I'm not exactly innocent either....even though I wouldn't have taken it in that direction; but these were different times and none of us are so childish at this point. :D
Thank god. It's both fortunate and unfortunate that we all have to grow up sometime, isn't it?

I had a second Kalm last night after a day of cooking and eating ribs. Still noticed the effects of it but maybe not quite as much. Still A+ in my book.

OP have you ordered anything yet? Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.