What's new

Is it safe to mix lemon balm and kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grogorio

Kava Curious
I've been taking lemon balm during the week and today, and haven't had kava since last weekend. I plan on cycling kava on weekends and lemon balm during the week. That is only if this is safe. Does anyone here have experience with this?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I take lemon balm with kava all the time, usually tea. It's one of my favorite plants. It prevents the breakdown of GABA by inhibiting GABA transaminase, so it will work with or enhance the effects of anything else that acts GABA. If you use it regularly, you may develop some tolerance and need to use more, though.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've been taking lemon balm during the week and today, and haven't had kava since last weekend. I plan on cycling kava on weekends and lemon balm during the week. That is only if this is safe. Does anyone here have experience with this?
I have taken a supplement that contains lemon balm and Valerian root on multiple occasions before bed, and after a long kava session, with no ill effects. Of course with all things YMMV and IAND. On the other hand I don't see any reason these would interfere in a negative way with each other.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Honestly the only think I wouldn't mix kava with is a sedative like a benzo, ambien, etc. Anything herbal it will generally be fine. When I first started taking kava it was some herbal blend pillform that had kava and more or less every single anti anxiety herb known to man in it. Worked great.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Lemon balm would be fine. The only thing I would be concerned about herb wise would be potent MAOI herbs and any herb that puts strain on the liver. Nevertheless it's always good to go slow and be cautious. Lemon balm is probably one of the more gentle herbs out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.