What's new

Is Kava Recreational?

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
I understand in its native lands folks use it as a "Social lubricant" if you will, but is this stuff actually recreational? I ask because im not sure it actually is. Alcohol seems to beat Kava by a long shot as far as bliss and mind numbing fun goes. Kava is unique but it leaves ones mind pretty much untouched. Dont get me wrong it can definitely mess you up if one takes enough of it, but without the mental aspect how recreational is this substance? Just a thought.

D

Deleted User01

I have lots of experience with alcohol. A couple of problems: Yes, the first few drinks feel really good, but when you loose inhibitions, you run the risk of saying bad things (this I know and this I sometimes do). Second, alcohol gives me a restless sleep not a sound sleep like kava. Third, the calories in alcohol are not helpful. Fourth, when I drink alcohol, I pass out on the couch after supper with the audiobook running. With Kava, I can relax without passing out and go to bed at my regular time. I get to enjoy my audiobook in a very relaxed state of mind. All this being said, I still do alcohol twice a week and Kava the rest. I'm constantly comparing them and alcohol just has more undesireable side effects. I will give this alcohol, it tastes waaayyyy better than kava. And you can't beat a a glass of red wine with a steak or an ice cold IPA or Pilsner after mowing the lawn. But it's hard for me to just drink one.
But compare the two for yourself. Everyone reacts differently to both.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
True, nothing beats the flavor of a good beer or wine.

As for the initial question, I'm going to grab my popcorn and look forward to the responses here. My 15+ year relationship with Kava has bounced between medicinal, ritual, and recreational. It's unlike anything else in my life, really.

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
To me Kava does not seem recreational at all. Maybe slightly I guess but it simply lacks the pure raw stupid bliss that accompanies something like alcohol. Spiritual? Definitely not. Perhaps if it helps you get rid of an alcohol addiction or something but this stuff is definitly not LSD.

Ive had some moments of blissful fun on Kava but only because I was happy as heck to be a bit inebriated while out and about. I can honestly say I dont think Kava has ever forced me into a moment of blissful carefree fun. Where with alcohol I have had the shittiest day of my life be turned into a nice druken stupor that lightens the mood and makes me smile in my soul. That seems to be the difference with kava and why some folks wish it was looked upon as a psychedelic. There seems to be a very strong correlation to my mood and how Kava is going to affect me.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I think it's medicinal and recreational. It just depends on how you use it. To relieve anxiety and/or depression, a moderate
dosage works very very well.

For the times you would like to just cash out for a while, yes, a high dose of a heavy kava really works well. I find it very
recreational in those cases.

I think what makes it more recreational is what you do *while* you are krunked. Listening to music, playing instruments,
hanging out with friends, etc. make it hugely more enjoyable than getting krunked and doing mundane tasks.

Compared to MJ it's not the same kind of recreation, but it's recreation nonetheless.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I sort of find kava 'irrecreational' in some way, if that's a word. Or recreationally irrecreational.
I drink it medicinally but certainly not just for that purpose alone, so I must be getting recreational enjoyment out of it too. Aren't hookah bars, coffee / tea lounges also recreational settings ? They don't effect you much but can still be used as recreational drugs.
Would you consider being floored, rolling on
recreational ? Because a good, strong perfect krunk really has more in common with that, than being trashed on alcohol. ::ooooohhhhz::

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I understand in its native lands folks use it as a "Social lubricant" if you will, but is this stuff actually recreational? I ask because im not sure it actually is. Alcohol seems to beat Kava by a long shot as far as bliss and mind numbing fun goes. Kava is unique but it leaves ones mind pretty much untouched. Dont get me wrong it can definitely mess you up if one takes enough of it, but without the mental aspect how recreational is this substance? Just a thought.
Alcohol also beats up your liver, brain, relationships, jobs and freedom (if you take it too far) - Kava doesn't. The fact that kava leaves your mind untouched is a large part of the appeal for me. I also think it can be quite mental and introspective but it's subtle feeling and certainly not for everyone.
If the goal is to get hammered or super high, kava is not the right substance for that.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Ive had some moments of blissful fun on Kava but only because I was happy as heck to be a bit inebriated while out and about. I can honestly say I dont think Kava has ever forced me into a moment of blissful carefree fun. Where with alcohol I have had the shittiest day of my life be turned into a nice druken stupor that lightens the mood and makes me smile in my soul. That seems to be the difference with kava and why some folks wish it was looked upon as a psychedelic. There seems to be a very strong correlation to my mood and how Kava is going to affect me.
The same thing can be said about drinking in a bad mood or dropping LSD (per your example), ever have a bad trip? Ever wonder why? Chances are you weren't in the best mindset at the time.
I am not judging you or anybody else (I have been there and done that) but if getting shit-faced is the only thing that brings you happiness at the of a bad day, maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with your life as whole (Again i speak from experience).

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Not sure what your definition of recreational is but here's what a quick search brings up.
relating to or denoting [a substance] taken on an occasional basis for enjoyment, especially when socializing
In my eyes kava fits this definition perfectly. I find it engages my mind more on my surroundings, be it in conversation, listening to music or reading a book. It removes the worries of the world while keeping my mind in a healthy place. Oh, and it can be extremely blissful, I often have a rooted grin plastered to my face while drinking.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
To me Kava does not seem recreational at all. Maybe slightly I guess but it simply lacks the pure raw stupid bliss that accompanies something like alcohol. Spiritual? Definitely not. Perhaps if it helps you get rid of an alcohol addiction or something but this stuff is definitly not LSD.

It sounds like you haven't found the right kava for you or you are not drinking in sufficient quantities because I drank alcohol for 25 years and I've had experiences on kava that beat any alcohol buzz I've ever had. It doesn't hit you like that every time but when the kava gods smile on you it's one of the best feelings in the world. A good balanced to heavy kava in a good dose can bring on many different feelings all at the same time from euphoria to that tickly feeling in your muscles like you're getting a massage. I agree with too many comments above to mention but @Deleted User01 summed it up quite nicely.

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
I think @VictoryRider has some good points.

IMO, it depends on what you consider recreation. If you think relaxation is recreational, then kava will likely be recreational. I hate to think that recreation is just about getting stupid...

I would like to think that drinking some grog, listening to music, and drifting off to sleep is a recreational activity for me. While the kava is playing a role, it's not only about the kava. I wouldn't consider drinking kava and then doing absolutely nothing very recreational, but I also wouldn't consider drinking alcohol followed by doing nothing very recreational either. It would take a very powerful drug to put you in such a stupor that youre content with laying about and doing literally no other activities.

I think your mindset is going I be the biggest indicator for whether kava is recreational for you. If recreation is getting stupid, kava isn't for you. If recreation can involve some sort of relaxation or exploring an altered state of mind, then you might consider kava recreational.

As for the comparison to alcohol, I think there's something psychologically pleasing about sitting down and slowly sipping a fine, single malt scotch or a small glass of red wine. For me, that really beats the experience of chugging down a tall cup of grog. That said, I really enjoy the relaxation and sleep improvements I get from kava, and I'll never get those uplifting benefits from booze.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Alcohol sucks. Kava rocks . I don't have problems with anxiety which is it's primary medicinal use. Dependency is a huge issue with alcohol, it ruins health relationships cars and lives. Alcohol promotes chaos Kava promotes harmony . Any bliss I've ever found with alcohol has been fleeting at best. Have you ever heard of a jealous brawl at a kava bar?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
In a literal sense i would say it is recreational, in the same sense that green tea, chocolate, and back rubs can be. However I feel like the term recreational in reference to anything psychoactive is associated with the stigma of abuse. From the reports/documents I have read, In the eyes of the FDA/DEA, using any non-commercial substance for fun is abuse. Using a substance to treat yourself for any psychological problem without the direction of a doctor is also abuse. But it's also a very ambiguous perspective that these folks have and when it comes down to it, these organizations with immense power and influence of public opinion have at this point basically proven that abuse is simply what they decide is abuse, and consistency in this kind of determination is apparently not required. Sorry for the rant, Its just crazy thinking about this stuff sometimes. It's so baffling that the word "recreational" has acquired such a horrible connotation in the majority of society when it comes to anything psychoactive. I suppose this shouldnt be so puzzling since the alcohol industry has paid its way into being the only acceptable way to have fun and recreation through ingesting a substance, despite it being the substance in which recreational use actually results in loss of one's life or taking the life of others more often than any other substance.

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
In a literal sense i would say it is recreational, in the same sense that green tea, chocolate, and back rubs can be. I feel like the term recreational in reference to anything psychoactive is associated with the stigma of abuse. From the reports/documents I have read, In the eyes of the FDA/DEA, using any non-commercial substance for fun is abuse. Using a substance to treat yourself for any psychological problem without the direction of a doctor is also abuse. But it's also a very ambiguous perspective that these folks have and when it comes down to it, these organizations with immense power and influence of public opinion have at this point basically proven that abuse is simply what they decide is abuse, and consistency in this kind of determination is apparently not required. Sorry for the rant, Its just crazy thinking about this stuff sometimes. It's so baffling that the word "recreational" has acquired such a horrible connotation in the majority of society when it comes to anything psychoactive
^This

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
I want to come out and say that I am not anti recreational substance use nor do I dislike Kava or think it's comparable to some "darker" substances. Kava to me is this weird grey area.

Yes you can have fun on it but it's hardly like slamming budlights. I almost want to compare it to a psychedelic except it's far from an actual psychedelic experience. It's almost like a mushroom trip without any of the visuals or thought process changes.

All I know is this stuff doesn't really seem recreational to me. It definitely isn't spiritual, but I'd say it seems more medicinal than an actual lubricant if any sort.

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
Consider this.

Joe Fisher had a hard day of work. He decides to unwind with a few shells of Kava. Joe drinks the Kava but Joe is STILL there. His brain is STILL fully intact with only the slightest shift in actual perception. Did Joes Kava use actually do anything to shift his brain away from his work day?

Now let's look at Joe after a hard day's work. This time he decides to slam 4 double IPA beers in under an hour. How do you guys think Joes Body and mind will react compared to the Kava?

EQ

Atman
Consider this.

Joe Fisher had a hard day of work. He decides to unwind with a few shells of Kava. Joe drinks the Kava but Joe is STILL there. His brain is STILL fully intact with only the slightest shift in actual perception. Did Joes Kava use actually do anything to shift his brain away from his work day?

Now let's look at Joe after a hard day's work. This time he decides to slam 4 double IPA beers in under an hour. How do you guys think Joes Body and mind will react compared to the Kava?
Did you not read the reasons above people here like Kava?

Pretty authentic reasons. Are you just trying to convince the KavaForums Alcohol is the superior intoxicant? Good luck.

Kava isn't spiritual? No you aren't spiritual.