What's new

Is reverse tolerance real?

Is Reverse Tolerance real?

• Total voters

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on reverse tolerance. Is it real, or is it just that beginners don't know how to properly prepare kava or the proper dosage? Personally I didn't experience reverse tolerance. Does that mean that it's just a myth, or am I just lucky?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I think it's just wrongly named, in that it is nothing to do with tolerance but is more to do with knowing what feeling to look for, and recognising the various stages of kava inebriation.
I never heard anyone refer to reverse tolerance during 10 years drinking nightly in Melanesia & Polynesia.

But like you say having a proper mix for beginners is vital too. So many people try it for the first time with a very weak mix, and go away believing that a tingling mouth is the sole effect.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe it's Mayble? But seriously, I really don't think it's a thing. I think that new users use inferior products, or are very cautious and take very small doses, or don't really know what to expect. I am convinced that if a first timer where to get hooked up with one of us they would have a good first experience.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I started out with micro, which is pretty hard to screw up. I also did some reading on these forums ahead of time, so I knew how much to take and what to expect. Maybe that's why I had such a great first experience. Thank you Kava Forums! ::hugsmiley::

EQ

Atman
Times for exported Kava we're worse long ago. The products we're inconsistent, and less was known especially before discussions on forums. Due to lack of wisdom, faulty products, weak hands on the Knead, RT has come from this.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Likely a combination of bad prep, week root, trying it slowly - along with the fact that it, in my opinion, some of the kavalactones build up and stay in your system for at least 24-48 hours. So by the 3rd day of trying it you will get more effect on a smaller dose.

That being said anytime I have recommended it to a friend I set them up with a good dose of Moi and they are good to go on the first shell..(y)

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
If it isn't... I'm heavily disappointed and absolutely hate the fact that I've been wasting my time getting my hopes up. But, I know I felt it once so I can feel it again. Either that, or I'm really, really wasting my time here.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Keep drinking Kava. Reverse tolerance is completely real. I don't know where these poll results are coming from. It kind of reminds me of our current election :O

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Well, my GHK Nene came in today, I'll try it in a couple hours. It's an instant, so if prep method is the problem, instant should solve that.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Well, my GHK Nene came in today, I'll try it in a couple hours. It's an instant, so if prep method is the problem, instant should solve that.
As @Kavasseur says just keep drinking kava in whatever form and whatever type as sooner or later you'll start to "get it" more. It's taken me just over a year to be completely happy with my types, dosing and prep and that I know what feeling I want in what situation and how to more or less achieve it. Stick with it, it will surely get easier and you will start to enjoy it more.

Also don't forget those instants are potent!!! Don't forget the delayed effects too, take your time, use a couple or three teaspoons every 45 mins to an hour and you should start feeling nice, that Nene is a very kind kava.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Alright well, Bula! Heh heh, I just drank a teaspoon of Nene, I know I know it's not enough but I'm just being cautious. That one time where my head felt like it was on fire didn't make too good of an impression.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Alright well, Bula! Heh heh, I just drank a teaspoon of Nene, I know I know it's not enough but I'm just being cautious. That one time where my head felt like it was on fire didn't make too good of an impression.
Different kava, different results. I hope the nene treats you nicely but yes you will need to use more than 1 teaspoon :)

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I voted no, because I never experienced it, and everyone that I've made grog for in the past has definitely felt it the first time we sat around the grog bowl. It's anecdotal, but I really think it has more to do with improper prep/dosages than reverse tolerance.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
It may have something to do with the strain you are using as well. Different strains work differently for different people.
If you want to be cautious, just drink one shell every 30-45 minutes until you begin to feel it.