What's new

Is reverse tolerance real?

Is Reverse Tolerance real?

• Total voters

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Nene isn't a head ripper, and isn't meant to be. You shouldn't fear the Nene. It's a gently one.
Yeah, thank God, I got no qualms with Nene. Tried more this morning and didn't feel much, but also got absolutely no unpleasant effects, so I count that as a win. Well, one thing I did feel is something akin to an increase in sensory gating, or in other words sights and sounds and stuff didn't freak out or overwhelm me anymore. I've got problems with sensory gating and they've gotten exponentially worse ever since I ran out of L-Theanine.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
My daughter has SPD, and I have some slight sensory issues as well, so I understand what you mean. Glad you are starting too see some benefit!

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
It also depends on the individual.

So the variables:

- The individual. Some need more root to get rooted, some less.
- The dose. See above.
- The variety of kava. Some are weaker, some stronger.
- The knead.
- The spacing of the shells.
- The contents of the stomach at the time of drinking.

All of these affect the effect (??). But I firmly believe RT is real. I personally experienced it. But,
the sheer number of variables means that it's fairly likely that it takes a few tries to "get it right",
and the "recipe" will differ from person to person.

If in doubt, I'd try:

- Make strong kava, using a reputed strong strain. If doing traditional prep, squeeze good an hard for a good 8-10 min.
- Drink the shells on an empty stomach.
- Space the shells a good 20 min apart to avoid over dosing.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Today I had a random thought and looked through the old census results. The amount of people who report experiencing reverse tolerance has gone from 60% to about 45% over the last two years. Granted the latest one doesn't have many replies, and it's not a big sample size overall, but I think it's a good indicator that the quality of kava products has increased dramatically and people are having much less difficulty getting a good few first experiences.

Reactions: EQ

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Today I had a random thought and looked through the old census results. The amount of people who report experiencing reverse tolerance has gone from 60% to about 45% over the last two years. Granted the latest one doesn't have many replies, and it's not a big sample size overall, but I think it's a good indicator that the quality of kava products has increased dramatically and people are having much less difficulty getting a good few first experiences.
I wonder if having access to information like what is found on these forums has something to do with this as well.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
@kavadude , great job on the census! What do you think can be done to to drive up the response rate? Maybe we can lobby to get it to be a sticky?

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I broke through it after about a week of starting my day with 7 of Gaia herb pills. Once it finally hit it was no mistaking. I say it's real no doubt about it, I say this because with the pills i didn't have any variables like prep.

I'm really enjoying all these insights and perspectives into this amazingly rich experience. Thank you.

My own experience is that there is a peaceful swell of the spirit that can be easy to overwhelm with busy activity. This feeling is very enjoyable but if I always took kava in a place where I had to be busy then I might have missed it. So, maybe it is reverse tolerance or maybe a kind of tolerance in certain contexts.

Again I really appreciate the insights into this experience as this is my only link to a kava community.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on reverse tolerance. Is it real, or is it just that beginners don't know how to properly prepare kava or the proper dosage? Personally I didn't experience reverse tolerance. Does that mean that it's just a myth, or am I just lucky?
Here's what I have in our Kava Glossary:
RT (Reverse Tolerance)
Reverse tolerance is defined by the kava community as the "break in" period where the new kava consumer may not feel any effects at all from kava. It is theorized that for some people a certain level of kavalactone buildup in the body must be present before one begins to feel the full effects from kava. The range of time it may take to overcome the reverse tolerance ranges per individual, from weeks to up to a month and a half. Some individuals feel the effects immediately.
It took me a good 3 to 4 weeks of use before I felt anything from kava. Then it hit me pretty hard when it did. I believe it's a physical thing that vary's with each person, but I also think that there is a mental aspect to it as well when a new user has no idea what to expect until they have a little experience. I also believe that the products you first use and how you prep and use them makes a difference too. If you buy crappy kava or don't know how to properly consume it, will make a difference too.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@kavadude , great job on the census! What do you think can be done to to drive up the response rate? Maybe we can lobby to get it to be a sticky?
Once I finish the job I'm on at the moment, I'm going to do some updates on the backend and questions, then sticky a thread and add a popup notification that people will see on the frontpage.

EQ

Atman
Here's what I have in our Kava Glossary:
RT (Reverse Tolerance)
Reverse tolerance is defined by the kava community as the "break in" period where the new kava consumer may not feel any effects at all from kava. It is theorized that for some people a certain level of kavalactone buildup in the body must be present before one begins to feel the full effects from kava. The range of time it may take to overcome the reverse tolerance ranges per individual, from weeks to up to a month and a half. Some individuals feel the effects immediately.
It took me a good 3 to 4 weeks of use before I felt anything from kava. Then it hit me pretty hard when it did. I believe it's a physical thing that vary's with each person, but I also think that there is a mental aspect to it as well when a new user has no idea what to expect until they have a little experience. I also believe that the products you first use and how you prep and use them makes a difference too. If you buy crappy kava or don't know how to properly consume it, will make a difference too.
Did you frequent Alcohol before?

Yianni

Kava Curious
Likely a combination of bad prep, week root, trying it slowly - along with the fact that it, in my opinion, some of the kavalactones build up and stay in your system for at least 24-48 hours. So by the 3rd day of trying it you will get more effect on a smaller dose.

That being said anytime I have recommended it to a friend I set them up with a good dose of Moi and they are good to go on the first shell..(y)
So how much do you put in their first shell that they're food to go? More than 2 tbspoons for one shell?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Zaphod

Kava Lover
So how much do you put in their first shell that they're food to go? More than 2 tbspoons for one shell?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
If I was using microgrind then yes 2TBS of Moi in about 6-8oz of water and that should do it. If you are talking medium grind then probably closer to 4TBS.