What's new

Is this considered a lot

Tennjed

Recently started doing the Kava thing. Started out with some pills then some of the dropper things I got off of Amazon.

Then I ordered some Kalm with Kava from Amazon. This kind

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011Z...qid=1460768454&sr=8-4&keywords=kalm+with+kava

I also ordered the Aluball.

The Kalm with Kava and Aluball are definitely more powerful than the ball or dropper. :)

My usual routine is to put two heaping tablespoons into the ball with about 12 oz of water. Then about 30 mins later I use the same 2 spoons and for a second (weaker) round.

Then 30 mins later fill the ball with 2 fresh spoonfulls and repeat.

I usually do about 6 to 8 drinks, which is 6 to 8 heaping tablespoons (used 2x each). This amount seems to give me a good feeling. Floaty, heady, warm and tingling

I read about people doing tablespoons, but don't know if that is prepared the same way as I do it. I don't get throwing up sick, although sometimes the taste makes my stomach feel slightly uneasy for a few minutes. I have only felt "hungover" with a bad headache once.

I know there is a big variation between people and doses, I just wonder if this would "typically" be considered a small or large nightly dose

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I don't think that's overdoing, but I drink a lot of root too, KWK is freaking great kava so looks like your off to a great start (y)

Tennjed

Thanks so much. That is a very helpful link

So it what I am using

Powdered root
Micronized
Instant
Or extract?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Micronized is extremely finely ground powdered root, intended to be consumed unstrained. If you buy it from KWK or GHK, it will also have coarse fibers removed from it thus increasing potency by weight and reducing some GI side effects of consuming unstrained kava

Tennjed

Micronized is extremely finely ground powdered root, intended to be consumed unstrained. If you buy it from KWK or GHK, it will also have coarse fibers removed from it thus increasing potency by weight and reducing some GI side effects of consuming unstrained kava
So would the difference between instant and micronized be that instant dissolves into the water and micronized is just ground finely enough to drink?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It sounds like you're using the Aluball the right way. Since you are getting the effects you like, without getting sick from your current dosage...it's not too much, it's just your body's ideal dosage. If you keep drinking your ideal dosage daily, with no breaks or reduction in dosage, you'll eventually start acquiring Kava Dermopathy symptoms. (Which are reversible but annoying) Also, if you were doing a traditional kneading / straining preparation, your dosage would change a bit, depending on the strainer you use.

The difference between instant and micronized, is that instant kava is (should be) the dehydrated remnants of a traditionally prepared, fresh, undried kava root. Whereas, micronized is a finely ground version of previously dried kava roots.
Neither of them are soluble or completely dissolve, they're just different variations on making a finely powdered kava solution.::happyshell::

Last edited:

Tennjed

It sounds like you're using the Aluball the right way. Since you are getting the effects you like, without getting sick from your current dosage...it's not too much, it's just your body's ideal dosage. If you keep drinking your ideal dosage daily, with no breaks or reduction in dosage, you'll eventually start acquiring Kava Dermopathy symptoms. (Which are reversible but annoying) Also, if you were doing a traditional kneading / straining preparation, your dosage would change a bit, depending on the strainer you use.

The difference between instant and micronized, is that instant kava is (should be) the dehydrated remnants of a traditionally prepared, fresh, undried kava root. Whereas, micronized is a finely ground version of previously dried kava roots.
Neither of them are soluble or completely dissolve, they're just different variations on making a finely powdered kava solution.::happyshell::
So dermopathy must be more common that I thought. I thought it was very rare.

I really would like to avoid it. Do most people try to avoid it by not drinking Kava daily or by just drinking a little bit daily?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
So dermopathy must be more common that I thought. I thought it was very rare.

I really would like to avoid it. Do most people try to avoid it by not drinking Kava daily or by just drinking a little bit daily?

Some people are more susceptible to it than others, and it depends on many variables on top of that. How much you drink, how frequently you drink, how long you keep up your daily drinking without breaks. How much extra sediment your strainer allows in your beverage, less sediment = weaker drink (per tablespoon), more sediment = stronger effects but a higher likelihood of eventually acquiring dermopathy. Also, it appears that certain chemotypes may producer a quicker onset of dermopathy and the way the kava was processed might too...i.e. Roots that weren't peeled before grinding.