What's new

Is weight loss caused by kava just a short term thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, pretty much. For me weight liss from regular kava was due to (a) skipping dinner or having a light dinner, and (b) drinking much less beer & wine.
If you stopped kava (and I have no experience of this!) I imagine you would start eating more in the evening so put weight back on.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think kava's drastically reducing my alcohol intake reduced the calories, but also my eating pattern now is different. I eat very lightly in the evening now (kava time, don't want to mess that up) so I eat the bulk of my calories much earlier in the day.

Also I'm eating a lot more fresh pineapple for some reason. And cashews. I find in general kava makes me want to eat even more fruits and veg than I did before. And be more active during the day.

I have no idea if it's those side effects of kava causing the weight loss or something that's actually in the kava itself. Anyone know?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I think it could be related to several things (1) change in eating habits - likely the largest contributor. Stopping alcohol, eating less before hand so you have an empty stomach, and for some no desire to eat after. (2) slight dehydration - quickest way to "lose weight" just like going on a no-carb diet. If you don't keep up with a lot of hydration you will see a quick drop. (3) Interference with how your body processes cholesterol and/or fat - based mostly on the fact that there has been some evidence it changes triglyceride levels.
Unfortunately for me I get the munchies shortly after imbibing kava - and I am a salty food addict. Chips, pretzels, nuts all find there way to my numb mouth shortly after. So I have not seen anything resembling a weight loss. I also drink a ton of water before, during, and after. If I don't I get dehydration headaches/migraines that are a real bitch.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hmmm. I find kava really kills my appetite. Typically I get off work, relax, have a shell, and have dinner stuff handy, but never eat it, unless there is some social obligation to do so. Then I'm fine, I can eat, the krunk disappears. I'm fine, no problem. But I prefer to just have the shells and relax and not eat. Same with a beer or gin n tonic, or whatever, just no interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.