What's new

Issues falling and staying asleep after drinking kava?

Hitch

Kava Curious
Bula All,

I've been drinking kava for some time , but find I'm drinking it less now because of how it harms my sleep.

I LOVE my kava sessions (they usually start between 6pm and 8pm and go for 1-1.5 hours) but I cut them off early to prevent sleep issues. Sometimes I feel I'll even had trouble falling and staying asleep after only a shell or two.

I've heard that kava drinkers in the Pacific Islands will have a beer or two after drinking kava to 'kill' the kava effects -- perhaps this would also kill the issues with kava and sleep (I'm not trying to say you'll sleep better with booze, because we know booze is poison and won't actually help with sleep quality)?

Is there something healthier than having a beer post-kava to 'kill' the kava effects and have better sleep, or is there a way to still feel the effects and somehow sleep better (supplement with something else, etc.)?

I find all this odd because kava is marketed by many as being able to improve sleep. I feel I still have trouble sleeping even after drinking a 'non-heady' / 'heavy' cultivar.

Very much look forward to hearing the community's thoughts here, thank you in advance for sharing them

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Crazy how individual this all is! Beer after kava? In Fiji? Really? Then the "cautions" they tell us in the internet and kava shops, is only a sign of sanity and not making a connection with other harder drugs like alcohol. I imagine a Fiji Kava seller and drinker... saying "Kava is good, way better than beer" - selling his kava and saying "don't combine! It isn't good... "... while having 2-3 beer after 10 shells of kava at home...

... mmmm... individual: The first 2-3 years I couldn't sleep after most kavas. Especially heady or balanced kavas... often also heavy kavas. It was a "upper" to me, and I was rather creative making music 20 hours straight and stuff... or do things I was to lazy to... I did them using kava.

But now, since a couple of weeks, I sleep so good after kava... even the balanced and sometimes "heady" kavas... I love the state when I lay in bed...

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Bula All,

I've been drinking kava for some time , but find I'm drinking it less now because of how it harms my sleep.

I LOVE my kava sessions (they usually start between 6pm and 8pm and go for 1-1.5 hours) but I cut them off early to prevent sleep issues. Sometimes I feel I'll even had trouble falling and staying asleep after only a shell or two.

I've heard that kava drinkers in the Pacific Islands will have a beer or two after drinking kava to 'kill' the kava effects -- perhaps this would also kill the issues with kava and sleep (I'm not trying to say you'll sleep better with booze, because we know booze is poison and won't actually help with sleep quality)?

Is there something healthier than having a beer post-kava to 'kill' the kava effects and have better sleep, or is there a way to still feel the effects and somehow sleep better (supplement with something else, etc.)?

I find all this odd because kava is marketed by many as being able to improve sleep. I feel I still have trouble sleeping even after drinking a 'non-heady' / 'heavy' cultivar.

Very much look forward to hearing the community's thoughts here, thank you in advance for sharing them
Please share what kava you drink.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I found when I first started drinking kava, it really helped my sleep. I would fall asleep within like 5 - 10 minutes. Now, that doesn't seem to be the case. I still feel really tired by the end of the night, but I'm not falling asleep as easily as I once was. Last night it took me about an hour to drift off.

I'm definitely still sleeping better than I was without kava though, before kava it would sometimes take me hours to fall asleep.

Also, you're right, I was watching a video about a kava bar in Fiji I believe, and one of the guys said it's common to have a couple of beers at the end of the night before bed. I think they call it a wash down.

I am still getting to know kava, my first few sessions resulted in poor sleep. However if I have a small amount of cannabis near the end of the night it really seems to bring out the relaxing effects without overpowering them. Each time I have done this I have had very deep sleeps, slept through some very loud noises the other night.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe it depends on the baseline energy level.

In addition, nonheavy kava + coffee is q good recipe for insomnia

However, lately I have been much better at sleeping after kava but I have had less enthusiasm of creative work, lately.

Solomon Headhunter is a mild stimulant, and not only an ephemeral buzz.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm. The biggest problem with kava affecting my sleep is that I have to get up and pee all night! It's really annoying.