What's new

Just a few questions about kava in comparison to medications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Ok, so here's my take on this.

I have no diagnosis, but I do have anxiety issues, I have been through depressions and this is probably related to a slight touch of ptsd (undiagnosed). I can freak out at a dinner party or family function, but be calm and collected when robbed or putting out a fire...

When I get depressed, I don't see a doctor. I fight it. Sleep, exercise and healthy food. But this last one, man, all the kava in the world wouldn't make a difference. I did it without medication though, but I did get some help.

Medication is way cheaper than kava and marijuana is illegal here. Alcohol and prescription drugs have gotten me into a whole lot of trouble.
Kava and marijuana never did that, but kava being the most legal option it's the one for me.

Yerba Mate helps more with depression than kava if you ask me. Back in the day when Adil had his concentrate, I would go for that.

No people are impervious to anxiety or depression. I do believe that people who are eating to live have less time to feel for their issues. I also believe that people living to eat have way too much time on their hands.

Idk

Bula to da hula

I guess.

S

Summer

I took heavy benzodiazepines for six years. I had a very hard time withdrawing to say the least. It about killed me. It has taken me two years to withdraw and I'm still not the person "I used to be" before ever taking them.

Pills were so cheap. My kava expense is great but it takes a lot for me to feel effects. I have been taking it strictly as medicine for about 15 months.

schatz

itchin for kava
Not to be a conspiracy nut, but it seems whenever there is a healthier alternative to big pharma or big tobacco or alcohol it tends to get more scrutiny by government.
Look whats happening to the electronic cigarettes right now.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I do believe that people who are eating to live have less time to feel for their issues. I also believe that people living to eat have way too much time on their hands
I share similar sentiments with this.
I think that kava wont help against depression because once the effects wear off you're back to the same state. Havent tried yerba so no idea about that

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I took heavy benzodiazepines for six years. I had a very hard time withdrawing to say the least. It about killed me. It has taken me two years to withdraw and I'm still not the person "I used to be" before ever taking them.

Pills were so cheap. My kava expense is great but it takes a lot for me to feel effects. I have been taking it strictly as medicine for about 15 months.
How much kava do you consume in a month on average? do you think if you would have found kava before the benzodiazepines things would have gone way different? or you still would have needed them anyway?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I think that kava wont help against depression because once the effects wear off you're back to the same state. Havent tried yerba so no idea about that
Over the years of drinking it I can only assume I'm about 40% kava at this point. As it's built up in my system it tends to stay there. That's the beautiful thing about kava though. The anti-anxiety effects (and consequently depression as they can be closely linked) tend to last at least a day after drinking. I believe one of our members, @Vekta has coined it the "Shield effect".

Depression from anxiety is pretty common, so seeing depression being relieved by kava actually makes sense to me.

I drink about a kilo (1200 grams) of medium grind kava per month. So somewhere around $50-100 per month is where it averages out to for me. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Over the years of drinking it I can only assume I'm about 40% kava at this point. As it's built up in my system it tends to stay there. That's the beautiful thing about kava though. The anti-anxiety effects (and consequently depression as they can be closely linked) tend to last at least a day after drinking. I believe one of our members, @Vekta has coined it the "Shield effect".

Depression from anxiety is pretty common, so seeing depression being relieved by kava actually makes sense to me.

I drink about a kilo (1200 grams) of medium grind kava per month. So somewhere around $50-100 per month is where it averages out to for me. Totally worth it in my opinion.
do you drink on a daily basis? or just when there is a need?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
do you get dermo issues? what strains are your go to kavas?
Light dermo, if any at all. I use standard lotion after my showers in the morning and have no flaking or splitting. No pain, swelling or redness.

Goto strain = Boroguru

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
A kilogram is a thousand grams.
Sorry @Kapmcrunk you're a swell guy, I just can't stand idle while the metric system is being violated. Hope you understand. I know you said "about a kilo", but still. I'm not angry with you, just a little disappointed I guess...
I'm just glad you didn't see the pre-edited version. I said "2 lbs (1200 grams)", then changed it to "2 kilos (1200 grams)", then came back for the final edit.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I'm just glad you didn't see the pre-edited version. I said "2 lbs (1200 grams)", then changed it to "2 kilos (1200 grams)", then came back for the final edit.
A serial offender...
But, right now there's a lot of stuff happening in your country that I'm not allowed to bring up here... let's just say I understand. Just promise not to do it again, say you're sorry to the metric system and we can move on.
Yes we can.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
haha, sorry, metric system. I do hope we can still be friends. I do like to weigh my kava in grams occasionally. Ounces on everything else though, and feet....so many miles and miles of feet.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
haha, sorry, metric system. I do hope we can still be friends. I do like to weigh my kava in grams occasionally. Ounces on everything else though, and feet....so many miles and miles of feet.
Ok, so I've conferred with the metric system and all is forgiven, for now. This doesn't mean that your transgressions weren't serious or triggering to the metric system, but given the whole situation you're dealing with over there...
The whole fascination with feet and Miles, well, as long as you're not stepping on anyone's toes..

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
What kava has done for me though, is to give me a break from stressful and negative strains of thought and as long as I don't over indulge it helps me deal with the things that stresses me out at the time. When I introduced my friend to kava I told him "try to think of something that annoys you or stresses you out" it wasn't possible.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I believe one of our members, @Vekta has coined it the "Shield effect".

Someone remembers me!:cry: *leg hug @Kapmcrunk *

Yup, I remember that corny post I did way back when. :woot: Kava has made a massive difference in my day to day life. I don't have to drink nearly as much nearly as often anymore which is a good thing. College sucks the bank account bone dry. Hopefully I get back on the forum more often soon. I miss all you people. :(

S

Summer

@Kava Time
If I had heard of kava before starting the pills I would have tried it for sure, but I think the price would have deterred me in the end. I drink kava everyday, and the only reason I take a day or two off here and there is if I run out of kava or I have a negative reaction. Otherwise I prefer it stay in my system right now.

I have hopes it's only temporary because it does dry my skin (not terribly) and is very expensive for me.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@Kava Time
If I had heard of kava before starting the pills I would have tried it for sure, but I think the price would have deterred me in the end. I drink kava everyday, and the only reason I take a day or two off here and there is if I run out of kava or I have a negative reaction. Otherwise I prefer it stay in my system right now.

I have hopes it's only temporary because it does dry my skin (not terribly) and is very expensive for me.
I started drinking coconut water more often. I'll grab some whenever I'm at a store and I see it. I don't know if that will help you any but since drinking coconut water, when I can get it, I don't seem to notice the slight drying out anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.