What's new

Just how much exactly does Kava dehydrate you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
A while ago I posted a thread on here about how Kava was giving me post-drinking anxiety. For the most part, i've got it under control (thankfully!) and i've been able to enjoy my favorite strain as of now, Kava Supreme without issue. I've primarily narrowed the post-drinking anxiety down to dehydration, and a bit of stomach irritation, fixed with ginger and also being back on my acid-reducers (I suffer from gastritis.) But even on days where I eat decent, hydrate well, and then have my evening shell (typically only 1tbsp with aluball on empty stomach is enough for me to get generally good effects) I notice this post-drinking anxiety. I mix some electrolytes and water, and for the most part, this edginess fades away back to normal. It really makes me question is Kava just THAT dehydrating? Am I just not consuming enough electrolytes throughout the day? Could I be deficient in potassium or something? I supplement with magnesium daily, occasionally B-Vitamins, but that's about it.
So that just leaves me questioning is it me or the Kava? I mean, is it really THAT dehydrating? Or is this just sort of the Kava aggravating my already imbalanced electrolytes? lol
Thanks for any replies, just a curiosity post I suppose.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
A while ago I posted a thread on here about how Kava was giving me post-drinking anxiety. For the most part, i've got it under control (thankfully!) and i've been able to enjoy my favorite strain as of now, Kava Supreme without issue. I've primarily narrowed the post-drinking anxiety down to dehydration, and a bit of stomach irritation, fixed with ginger and also being back on my acid-reducers (I suffer from gastritis.) But even on days where I eat decent, hydrate well, and then have my evening shell (typically only 1tbsp with aluball on empty stomach is enough for me to get generally good effects) I notice this post-drinking anxiety. I mix some electrolytes and water, and for the most part, this edginess fades away back to normal. It really makes me question is Kava just THAT dehydrating? Am I just not consuming enough electrolytes throughout the day? Could I be deficient in potassium or something? I supplement with magnesium daily, occasionally B-Vitamins, but that's about it.
So that just leaves me questioning is it me or the Kava? I mean, is it really THAT dehydrating? Or is this just sort of the Kava aggravating my already imbalanced electrolytes? lol
Thanks for any replies, just a curiosity post I suppose.
Kava is that dehydrating but not typically at the "dosage" you describe. Not saying that isn't what you are experiencing, just that it could be you are more sensitive to that effect than most? I think most people would have to consume 2 or 3 or 4 or even more times the dosage you had to get a similar effect of dehydration, and of course that would also entail inadequate water consumption.

KahunaDave

Kava dehydrates me alot , i try to stay hydrated with coconut water , herbal teas and plain water.. i like to eat pottasium rich fruits like dates and bananas too.
Personally i seem very sensitive to diuretics in general .. coffee for instance drys me out terrible.. so yeah i think its differant for everyone

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
For sure! ive had this issue as well.. and mainly i drink kava with coffee both cold! which causes the water to be excreted in higher amounts than hot beverages! Combining herbal diuretics is always going to dehydrate a lot more than just one!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Yeah kava dehydrates me quite a bit. I have a hard time keeping water in my system on a good day and the 108 F weather is not helping. I’ve been taking Thermo Tabs which are a buffered salt/electrolyte supplement. Not good for those with high blood pressure but perfect for people like me who are prone to low bp and dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.