What's new

Just ordered my first batch of Med. grind ...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The last time we bought fresh frozen roots I bought 10 lbs, and then everyone pitched in, and I distributed them via USPS express and UPS next day air. It was fun, but also was a lot of work. I still have some corm frozen in the freezer just for show. Just so I can say "Hey...this is what real kava looks like" I figure that's something I should be able to do.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
The last time we bought fresh frozen roots I bought 10 lbs, and then everyone pitched in, and I distributed them via USPS express and UPS next day air. It was fun, but also was a lot of work. I still have some corm frozen in the freezer just for show. Just so I can say "Hey...this is what real kava looks like" I figure that's something I should be able to do.
I wish I could whip out my corm whenever I wanted.

I remember @shakas saying the bang-for-buck on the frozen root was pretty poor.

I may have to go down to Hilo and see if I can talk Chris into letting me try some, someday. I'll pitch a tent in his front yard. And then after that, I'll arrange sleeping accommodations. *rimshot*

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
If you work out the economics of drinking enough fresh green every night for 2 weeks or more, a plane ticket to Port Vila can work out cheaper than buying ageing mail-order vacuum packed green kava. If you live a long way from the Pacific region you just need to stay longer to make the cost balance work out...

I am in Tonga now and this morning was in a plantation and saw a patch of some very tall kava plants with spread out branches - the Tongan guy I was with said they called it "Hawaiian kava", and it wasn't drunk locally as it was weak, but did have a nice smell he said. It may not be from Hawaii at all, as in Tonga they label things Hawaiian, Samoan or Fijian in a derogatory way, a carry-over from the old rivalry days. It would be interesting to find out if this is drinkable or worthwhile though as it is going free. I will try to get back soon and post some photos for the forum experts.