What's new

Just took my first Kava dose..

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Oh and the t-shirt thing is normal. I used bandannas to knead my kava initially.

Regarding the nausea; I've found it's easier for me to be super hydrated during the day rather than chug water during my session because then it's simply too much liquid to consume. Sometimes eating fresh fruit with your kava helps too. For myself, I like to have a meal once I'm ready to end a session. For example, I may drink traditional prep grog from 4pm-8pm and then I'll have a bowl of ramen or crackers or something with carbs. Some people prefer ice cream or ginger beer.

You will get the hang of it and we're glad you're here. This community helps one another.

Keep asking questions and clarifying! Bula.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I actually did order some medium grind, it should be here by next week.

I've got a regular powder strainer but I suspect I'll have to wash a t-shirt and use that as a filter this time. I was thinking next time I could order the "Three Kavas, plus filter" from KWK. So I don't have to use a t-shirt anymore.

How much do I start dosing with a medium grind? Is it a tablespoon like micronized or a little bit more? Like two or three tablespoons? Thanks.
If you use a t shirt the same thing will happen again, you’ll ingest too much indigestible organic material and make yourself sick. Also, don’t try to get superintoxicated on shit you know nothing about. That’s not a kava thing, it’s an every single substance on the planet thing.

You’re very fortunate here, you have an instant advantage in that you are past RT and have an excellent response to kava. Now take advantage of that by drinking small amounts of properly prepared kava till you know what you are doing. Stop trying to fly before you can walk just cuz you wanna get fucked up on drugs NOW. That is so far from what kava’s All about...... BUT if you do this, slow down, learn, practice on the bunny hill before the steeper slopes. Kava can make you feel better than any shitty ass drug out there. But it might make you go to bed early, get up early, be more productive, and not feel like you want to get out of it, escape life. Kava makes you want to get into it, engage with and enjoy life. Or you could just consume way too much, get sick and walk away saying “kava sucks.” We see that all the time. It’s no bad thing, just means kava isn’t for everybody. But it might be if they gave it a fair chance instead of wanting it to be something it can’t be.

What do you want from kava, anyway? Not rhetorical there. If you can specify exactly what you want from kava, then at least folks here could tell you if it is possible and what are your options for pursuing it.

Personally I think your mind and body’s response to kava are excellent. Now you just need to find proper preps and dosages and some handle on pacing and kava could be one of the most beautiful experiences of your life. Patience is the main thing you need here and not even very much of that. Just a little.

MichaelMcKava

Kava Curious
If you use a t shirt the same thing will happen again, you’ll ingest too much indigestible organic material and make yourself sick. Also, don’t try to get superintoxicated on shit you know nothing about. That’s not a kava thing, it’s an every single substance on the planet thing.

You’re very fortunate here, you have an instant advantage in that you are past RT and have an excellent response to kava. Now take advantage of that by drinking small amounts of properly prepared kava till you know what you are doing. Stop trying to fly before you can walk just cuz you wanna get fucked up on drugs NOW. That is so far from what kava’s All about...... BUT if you do this, slow down, learn, practice on the bunny hill before the steeper slopes. Kava can make you feel better than any shitty ass drug out there. But it might make you go to bed early, get up early, be more productive, and not feel like you want to get out of it, escape life. Kava makes you want to get into it, engage with and enjoy life. Or you could just consume way too much, get sick and walk away saying “kava sucks.” We see that all the time. It’s no bad thing, just means kava isn’t for everybody. But it might be if they gave it a fair chance instead of wanting it to be something it can’t be.

What do you want from kava, anyway? Not rhetorical there. If you can specify exactly what you want from kava, then at least folks here could tell you if it is possible and what are your options for pursuing it.

Personally I think your mind and body’s response to kava are excellent. Now you just need to find proper preps and dosages and some handle on pacing and kava could be one of the most beautiful experiences of your life. Patience is the main thing you need here and not even very much of that. Just a little.
What did I originally want from kava? Just to increase the amount of narcotics I have tried to about 36 different drugs now. But after trying it I see it has a potential for something here. A relatively safe way for a recreational buzz. Something I can do that isn't drinking alcohol, because alcohol gives me bad results, for relaxing during the night. Perhaps I already have that with Cannabis... so maybe I shouldn't of even tried Kava. Frankly, my skin is already starting to feel dry after doing it... and I'm pretty sure I'm getting withdrawal from Kava as well. Because both times after I've done it I have been in a much shittier mood the next day. The first time I figured just because I overdosed, but this time I definitely didn't. I only used from 5 to 9 last night. But I polished off the rest of my micronized anyway... So now I've just got a tincture and some medium grind on the way...

Of course I know nothing about it.. beyond what I can find online. How do you think we all start using drugs? We don't start off knowing exactly how to smoke weed and how much to weigh out and what effects it will have.. but as we go along we learn.. that's part of what I'm doing on this forum.

Now I do have 150 grams of medium grind coming... and I'd like to get something out of it. Just a recreational buzz for the night time really is all I want.. I just don't wanna waste it. So if you could give me suggestions on HOW to do that, it would be nice.

So so far I've heard the t-shirt method does, and doesn't work? So which is it? And if not a t-shirt what should I use? A pillowcase?

MichaelMcKava

Kava Curious
Keep in mind I can't get anything like an abudall shaker or any products until I get paid next, so I will be getting this Kava before that. Should I just not touch it until I can get a better product? Or is there some basic household item that I can use?

I've seen videos of people using things like T-bags and t-shirts, and things like that.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Keep in mind I can't get anything like an abudall shaker or any products until I get paid next, so I will be getting this Kava before that. Should I just not touch it until I can get a better product? Or is there some basic household item that I can use?

I've seen videos of people using things like T-bags and t-shirts, and things like that.
Sounds like you’re in the right place, all right. This will just be the fine tuning part. You’ve Seen enough to realize how good it can be and how bad it can be if not careful. And you are lucky to have a strong response. Not everyone is so lucky.

If you have a blender and want to get krunk, but not too much, blend n strain will get you there. Plan on 50 grams for the session, no more, mkay? And only one session per day. I posted a video on this here at KF. I also posted a poorman’s Version of the AluBall using a mason jar and a small cloth bag you can get at kitchen supply stores or health food outlets. With larger nut milk bags you could do trad prep. But with t shirts or other plain cloth you’ll get more indigestible makas which, whether you realize it or not, you are hyper susceptible to. Eliminate as much central indigestible makas and you’ll be better off.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Krunkie is right in what he says above. A t-shirt is not ideal, but I was pointing out that I also did this as a newbie. Get the nut milk bags.
What really bothers me here is kava is not a drug IMO. So I guess we can disagree on that. If you feel cranky the next day then you're likely not sleeping enough, or it could be that strain just hit you wrong. Really, kava can change your life in a positive way. It is great alternative to alcohol, but it can also be downright spiritual and encourages good self care. Be careful what you mix it with. Cannabis is fine IMO.

Do your research. Read everything you can on this forum and the vendor websites. You are responsible for your well being and choices. Make sure you're taking good care of yourself and don't mix it with anything before researching it.

MichaelMcKava

Kava Curious
Thanks guys...

I dunno what I'm going to do with my medium grind when it gets here. TO be honest I ordered it hastily and not from a very reputable vendor, just from a botanical dispensary site that happened to have some kava. I knew my KWK micronized would be better, but I thought this medium grind would get here first, which means I would get to try it sooner. I might just put it aside, or throw it out... if I can't use it with anything I currently have. I live in a very small town, so there's nothing like a health food store to get a cloth bag from. For safety reasons I will probably just not use it.

Anyway I'm trying out this tincture to see if it works now... I thought I got some sedating feelings from it when I first tried it. I'm cautiously upping the dose and I will only be trying this out from now till 9:30 latest (it's 5:30 here).. to avoid possibly overdosing again.

Thanks for all the info guys. And Krunkie, 50 grams per session? But how much water? and I blend it all together and strain it out and then drink about a cup of it each dose? is that correct? Thank you..

Just wondering incase I do find something I can use or I do decide to try it. I would rather I just wasted 50 bucks than I get sick again though, so it may just be going in the garbage. Not to say I'm completely done with Kava.. I just might wait and order some more instant and start again from scratch with that stuff. Especially seeing ass I am getting the hang of the dos and donts of it now.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Look up doctor Lebott's research on kava. There's a very simple acetone test you can run on it to check nobility. He has youtube videos.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
What did I originally want from kava? Just to increase the amount of narcotics I have tried to about 36 different drugs now. But after trying it I see it has a potential for something here. A relatively safe way for a recreational buzz. Something I can do that isn't drinking alcohol, because alcohol gives me bad results, for relaxing during the night. Perhaps I already have that with Cannabis... so maybe I shouldn't of even tried Kava. Frankly, my skin is already starting to feel dry after doing it... and I'm pretty sure I'm getting withdrawal from Kava as well. Because both times after I've done it I have been in a much shittier mood the next day. The first time I figured just because I overdosed, but this time I definitely didn't. I only used from 5 to 9 last night. But I polished off the rest of my micronized anyway... So now I've just got a tincture and some medium grind on the way...

Of course I know nothing about it.. beyond what I can find online. How do you think we all start using drugs? We don't start off knowing exactly how to smoke weed and how much to weigh out and what effects it will have.. but as we go along we learn.. that's part of what I'm doing on this forum.

Now I do have 150 grams of medium grind coming... and I'd like to get something out of it. Just a recreational buzz for the night time really is all I want.. I just don't wanna waste it. So if you could give me suggestions on HOW to do that, it would be nice.

So so far I've heard the t-shirt method does, and doesn't work? So which is it? And if not a t-shirt what should I use? A pillowcase?
A lot of people recommend using women's knee-highs. I haven't tried it; but I've seen it recommended enough that I'm willing to bet it works better than a t-shirt. The problem with a t-shirt etc is finding something that doesn't filter out too much kava (nut bags are also good, but the only one I've tried is actually too course and makes a real thick nastier-tasting chalky grog; nevertheless, I still use it occasionally when I want a good krunk and am in a hurry, but only to strain kava I put through a blender so as to minimize how much I am kneading and squeezing it to make it a little less chalky). When I first started drinking grog in high school in the late 90's, I actually just went to the fabric section of Walmart and found some curtain material that seemed course enough and it worked fine). As for what I normally use, I personally love the cheaper "beginner's" strainer bag sold by Kavafied (https://www.getkavafied.com/collections/kava-makers). The one I ordered some two years ago still works just fine but is starting to have loose threads so I got a new one. I think its a great product. I haven't tried the ones from the other vendors because the Kavafied one simply didn't seem to be interested in wearing out. It's only 7 bucks and it works wonderfully. I didn't order the cheaper one because its cheaper, but because it's a great product and I don't think I personally would have any need for the "pro grade" unless I was making really big batches for moderate-sized groups of people.

Its interesting what you say about withdrawal as most people seem to think there is no withdrawal from kava. The jury's out on that for me; however, if there is withdrawal, I think its very mild and passes very quickly. Nonetheless, crankiness the day after kava could also be attributed to loss of sleep (like others have said) or DEHYDRATION and not eating enough, a definite battle you have to fight when drinking kava. I've also noticed that certain strains tend to make me crankier the next day. However, I don't think its because of withdrawal. For me, certain strains seem to have residual effects that leave me feeling mildly sedated the next day and I get cranky because I'm neither krunked, nor able to have that bright, sharp, wide awake feeling I like.

A final source of second day crankiness that I've notice with kava: CAFFEINE. I pretty much don't even drink caffeine anymore when I'm drinking a lot of kava. And my experience has been that kava's ability to potentiate caffeine's ability to make me feel agitated and anxious can last several days after I stop drinking kava.

MichaelMcKava

Kava Curious
Thanks for the info. I will see what happens.

Interestingly once I got a proper dose of my tincture down, my bad mood disappeared completely. My dad described it as me being "Bipolar" which goes along with my withdrawal theory..

But I'm definitely having a good time on it! So whatever.. And I will check into some of those products you recommended once I get paid, I guess I won't be using that Kava I got ordered anytime soon. Which is fine. I will probably just wind up storing it away for a later date.. since I don't wanna get sick again.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks for the info. I will see what happens.

Interestingly once I got a proper dose of my tincture down, my bad mood disappeared completely. My dad described it as me being "Bipolar" which goes along with my withdrawal theory..

But I'm definitely having a good time on it! So whatever.. And I will check into some of those products you recommended once I get paid, I guess I won't be using that Kava I got ordered anytime soon. Which is fine. I will probably just wind up storing it away for a later date.. since I don't wanna get sick again.
What I recommend with the grind you get, if it isn’t really good kava but it is kava, don’t throw it away, blend it in small amounts with better grind that you get later, say 3TBS good root to 1TBS of the sub-primo grind.

MichaelMcKava

Kava Curious
Thank you for the video Krunkie, I am sorry to say that I will NOT be continuing use of Kava... I have felt over the last few days what can only be described as a "mild Ativan withdrawal" which is a benzo... I went through the withdrawal once after being dosed with Ativan for two-three weeks in a psych ward, and going home and coming off of it. It was characterized by immense discomfort, heart tightening, poor mood, and great anxiety. This time was similar, but less so... And I couldn't just keep dosing Kava every night to get rid of it… as it was making my symptoms worse after each time.

I have since thrown out my entire kava tincture, and when I get this medium grind I will be tossing it out as well. I DID study into kava withdrawal, and it DOES seem like it's practically scientifically impossible. But yet, I still experienced withdrawal... I don't pretend to understand the science of it. But I was definitely getting enough to sleep, especially as it was making me sleep 17 hours out of the day.. and I was drinking and eating enough... It didn't seem to make a dent in it.

Your time wasn't wasted forever. If maybe sometime next year I decide to try Kava, I will take your information to light. I will probably just go with micronized again, as it is just easier to use. But I can't intelligently give it any more of my time this year, as the negative effects I got from it are just too much. You can call this whatever you want.. Ignorance, User-error, what have you. But in the end Kava just wasn't for me.

I hope you will take this into consideration the next time a new user says they are experiencing withdrawal, keep in mind they might actually be... and help them understand that Kava might not be for them.. Don't just push it on them. Not saying you did that to me... I'm just saying...

Anyways, I probably won't be on this board for too much longer. But if you have any questions about the severity or symptoms of my withdrawal, I will kindly answer them in the name of science and spreading information. Sorry for wasting your time, and thank you for all your service. I appreciate the spirit of that you were trying to help me, even if I don't appreciate the product of it..

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
when I get this medium grind I will be tossing it out as well.
At least try to seek a refund. We also have a market place here you could try to sell your medium grind to if you don't think a refund will work out. Heck, a lot of times shipping isn't worth the time, so they'd give you a refund while you keep your package, which you can then try to sell. Appraisal pending, if this kava is any good, unopened kava should give you something to soften your losses.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thank you for the video Krunkie, I am sorry to say that I will NOT be continuing use of Kava... I have felt over the last few days what can only be described as a "mild Ativan withdrawal" which is a benzo... I went through the withdrawal once after being dosed with Ativan for two-three weeks in a psych ward, and going home and coming off of it. It was characterized by immense discomfort, heart tightening, poor mood, and great anxiety. This time was similar, but less so... And I couldn't just keep dosing Kava every night to get rid of it… as it was making my symptoms worse after each time.

I have since thrown out my entire kava tincture, and when I get this medium grind I will be tossing it out as well. I DID study into kava withdrawal, and it DOES seem like it's practically scientifically impossible. But yet, I still experienced withdrawal... I don't pretend to understand the science of it. But I was definitely getting enough to sleep, especially as it was making me sleep 17 hours out of the day.. and I was drinking and eating enough... It didn't seem to make a dent in it.

Your time wasn't wasted forever. If maybe sometime next year I decide to try Kava, I will take your information to light. I will probably just go with micronized again, as it is just easier to use. But I can't intelligently give it any more of my time this year, as the negative effects I got from it are just too much. You can call this whatever you want.. Ignorance, User-error, what have you. But in the end Kava just wasn't for me.

I hope you will take this into consideration the next time a new user says they are experiencing withdrawal, keep in mind they might actually be... and help them understand that Kava might not be for them.. Don't just push it on them. Not saying you did that to me... I'm just saying...

Anyways, I probably won't be on this board for too much longer. But if you have any questions about the severity or symptoms of my withdrawal, I will kindly answer them in the name of science and spreading information. Sorry for wasting your time, and thank you for all your service. I appreciate the spirit of that you were trying to help me, even if I don't appreciate the product of it..
Yeah, don't throw out that grind, you can resell it or give it to someone who might like it. That stuff's expensive.

Anyway, glad you're better now. Yeah, looks like kava isn't for you, or at least, the hassle and expense sure aren't. And you weren't wasting anyone's time, so no apology needed on those grounds, for sure. And I would imagine you are welcome to hang around for as long as you like, I can't think of a single reason why not. All the best! Bula!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
And I would imagine you are welcome to hang around for as long as you like, I can't think of a single reason why not. All the best! Bula!
Yeah @MichaelMcKava , hang around. I've had kava off and on the past couple years and I still check here periodically. The regulars are chill bros and worth talking to. Kava may not be for you right now but people change.

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.
I have to say I'm a very patient person and I want to commend the responders on this thread for trying to help this young man. I can tell the age by the post and the subsequent responses. It is VERY clear with the smallest amount of research that if you start experiencing mild nausea that you need to stop especially if you're very new to Kava. To vomit and then continue? That is drinking for the wrong reason. That is drug seeking behavior not respecting the plant behavior. Those who want to take the journey need to check their intentions. This is not K@ and this is not marijuana. This is not about escaping yourself. You do not need to drink so much you're hospitalized because you disrespected the energy of the plant and yourself. Do NOT keep drinking if you vomit. I know things happen. In a way, I'm happy I'm coming into this in my 40s although I realize you can still have a childish view of complex things at any age. If anything, this is exactly what not do do and the attitude not to have when coming into Kava. Yes, people make mistakes. Yes, we can all tend to overdo a new thing. I read through these forums before making a decision. So thank you for this thread. I wish everyone who was starting their journey would read this thread. Deep peace to All of Us.

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
I have to say I'm a very patient person and I want to commend the responders on this thread for trying to help this young man. I can tell the age by the post and the subsequent responses. It is VERY clear with the smallest amount of research that if you start experiencing mild nausea that you need to stop especially if you're very new to Kava. To vomit and then continue? That is drinking for the wrong reason. That is drug seeking behavior not respecting the plant behavior. Those who want to take the journey need to check their intentions. This is not K@ and this is not marijuana. This is not about escaping yourself. You do not need to drink so much you're hospitalized because you disrespected the energy of the plant and yourself. Do NOT keep drinking if you vomit. I know things happen. In a way, I'm happy I'm coming into this in my 40s although I realize you can still have a childish view of complex things at any age. If anything, this is exactly what not do do and the attitude not to have when coming into Kava. Yes, people make mistakes. Yes, we can all tend to overdo a new thing. I read through these forums before making a decision. So thank you for this thread. I wish everyone who was starting their journey would read this thread. Deep peace to All of Us.
I got the same thoughts in my mind as you when I read this thread. I'm glad I was not the only one. This thread is a good example of how to not consume Kava. Or maybe a good example of how you should _not_ handle any mind altering substance. Hopefully this thread can be helpful for others who are new to this herb.

Last edited: