What's new

Just tried kava for the first time. I feel weird . Not happy

Ratfish

ok. So wait I thought kava goes to the gaba receptors..
Then I read it goes to the same receptors as THC.
Well I get really bad anxiety ,especially in social situations. I'm a social drinker that's for sure.
Well I work door to door sales and I do alright at 15 an hour , but I've been getting way to drunk at work lol so I'm trying kava.
I ordered taveuni's secret from kava time. Chemotype is 426351. For anxiety relief and socializing.
So anyway I put 5 tablespoons instead of 3 into the blender. I used a splash of milk and cream to make it stronger.
I didn't really have a good strainer so it was chalky ish.
Little thick . I mean hell I just drank a glass and a half real quick.
I felt it right away .
But I don't feel social . I "feel" WAY too much , like when I smoke weed.
And that makes me anxious.
I don't feel nice , my boyfriend said he was feeling anxious too. He only drank a half glass though.
I told him how I was feeling and he said ya I know what you mean , I'm kinda feeling like that too. Then he joked around and said THANKS , and finished mowing the lawn.
I can not work like this .
Should I try another kind maybe a HEAVY kind of kava , to chill me out more ?
I don't want to give up on it. I want it to solve ALL my problems.

Surely I know that's not realistic..... :)

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Taveuni's secret was somewhat overwhelming to me too and definitely made me feel unable to socialize. I actually relate to your experience very closely even though I enjoy at least 4 out of 5 kavas I try. I think there is still hope that heady kava will be a good choice for you, but I'd also try heavy. I would recommend vula waka from kalm with kava as a nice heavy kava that won't get you too lazy, and then maybe moi from Gourmet hawaiian kava as a heady kava that is effective for social activity (work)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Well if you didn't really strain it but just whipped up 5 tbsp and drank the whole sludge real quick, that might be too much or too harsh for you, especially if you're inexperienced or haven't tested a certain variety yet.

I'd try again with a proper strainer and metered shell chugging as well as trying a different variety.

I personally only find kava social at low doses, or with one shell of a stronger batch. Kava typically always encourages slow, quiet, meditative behavior. Getting rooted and walking around town working all day sounds like a nightmare to me, you'd find me napping under the shade of a tree instead.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
You might like the kava candies. I find them nice and uplifting at work. Oh and when @Kava Time brings back the Micronized Cocoakava. That was really nice at work.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
ok. So wait I thought kava goes to the gaba receptors..
Then I read it goes to the same receptors as THC.
Well I get really bad anxiety ,especially in social situations. I'm a social drinker that's for sure.
Well I work door to door sales and I do alright at 15 an hour , but I've been getting way to drunk at work lol so I'm trying kava.
I ordered taveuni's secret from kava time. Chemotype is 426351. For anxiety relief and socializing.
So anyway I put 5 tablespoons instead of 3 into the blender. I used a splash of milk and cream to make it stronger.
I didn't really have a good strainer so it was chalky ish.
Little thick . I mean hell I just drank a glass and a half real quick.
I felt it right away .
But I don't feel social . I "feel" WAY too much , like when I smoke weed.
And that makes me anxious.
I don't feel nice , my boyfriend said he was feeling anxious too. He only drank a half glass though.
I told him how I was feeling and he said ya I know what you mean , I'm kinda feeling like that too. Then he joked around and said THANKS , and finished mowing the lawn.
I can not work like this .
Should I try another kind maybe a HEAVY kind of kava , to chill me out more ?
I don't want to give up on it. I want it to solve ALL my problems.

Surely I know that's not realistic..... :)
That is way more than our recommended serving dose. Our Taveuni has some serious level of potency so you should refrain from using too much of the powder in a single dose. The headiness of the Taveuni will definately overwhelm you if you use too much of it. Since you didnt strain the kava out you got a massive rush from 9% kavalactones in those 5tbsp you used..you dont need alot of kava for anxiety relief. Just using 2 tbsp is sufficient for anxiety relief and getting you relaxed to socialize easier. Maximize extraction using 12 Oz of water in prep and make sure to strain out the fibers after blending.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
That is way more than our recommended serving dose. Our Taveuni has some serious level of potency so you should refrain from using too much of the powder in a single dose. The headiness of the Taveuni will definately overwhelm you if you use too much of it. Since you didnt strain the kava out you got a massive rush from 9% kavalactones in those 5tbsp you used..you dont need alot of kava for anxiety relief. Just using 2 tbsp is sufficient for anxiety relief and getting you relaxed to socialize easier. Maximize extraction using 12 Oz of water in prep and make sure to strain out the fibers after blending.
I was reading this and thinking, "well geeeez I've made close to 5-6 heaping tablespoons of the Taveuni before..."

But then I realized, I'd put that much in like 60 oz of water and then drink it over the course of a few hours. You make a strong grog.

And I have experienced overheady-ness with some micronized kava before. I've even started jacking my jaw and getting racing thoughts, albeit mildly. That kind of feeling could be undesirable in the wrong setting.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I was reading this and thinking, "well geeeez I've made close to 5-6 heaping tablespoons of the Taveuni before..."

But then I realized, I'd put that much in like 60 oz of water and then drink it over the course of a few hours. You make a strong grog.

And I have experienced overheady-ness with some micronized kava before. I've even started jacking my jaw and getting racing thoughts, albeit mildly. That kind of feeling could be undesirable in the wrong setting.
Yeah its quite important to get the ratio of kava to water right when dosing especially with heady kavas. Too much can give problems just like what happens when overdosing on energy drinks/ caffeine. These issues are more common with micronized because you are practically drinking full amount of kavalactones as supposed to traditional prep which gets you about 15 to 40% of the lactones present in the powder at best. Its always best to follow recommended serving size on the packaging to gauge the strength of the kava first before you attempt to take in more. Even heavy kavas can be problematic at the dose @Ratfish took. You practically wont be able to walk and will fall off to sleep.

Chris1052

Kava Curious
Try a different Kava and give it a chance. It took a little while for Kava to grow on me. The first time I had it was at a Kava bar and they effects were just like you said, weird. They may have been mixing something in their Kava or serving Tudei because I have not experienced those same feelings with any of the Kava I have purchased from KWK, Cactus, or Squanch.

Ratfish

Thank you for the responses.
I think I will try a heavy kava next time . Just something to chill my nerves . My anxiety can get pretty bad.
To clear up the misunderstanding, I DID strain it , just not 100 percent. I got the big stuff out with a wire mesh then I used a pair of pants. The stretchy elasticity kind for exercise or something. It took forever and got clogged so I stired it and at the end I got impatient and took it up to squeeze. When I did that I think I really messed it up . Anyway u could see it settle some sludge settle to the bottom of the glass after a bit , and the closer I got to the bottom of the cup the more I tasted it. ( didn't drink the last gulp )
And I really didn't drink much.
I put 5 tablespoons in a blender , filled to max , but I only drank a glass and almost a half glass from it .
I didn't drink the whole blender full !
If heady kava is anything like this I don't think I will be using it to socialize.
I can see maybe some people might like that feeling I sure didn't .
I seriously just got more anxiety , but it was weird , like a floating anxiety bubble.
Idk whatever lol
I'm gonna try a heavy kava and try a little and hope it does something to my brain to curb my anxiety .
With that gone I will be more social .
Can I drink a Red Bull with it or will that just be weird?
Red Bull and Valium I don't like .... so if it's like that ....
I want to be drug and alcohol free. But happy at the same time .

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Yeah its quite important to get the ratio of kava to water right when dosing especially with heady kavas. Too much can give problems just like what happens when overdosing on energy drinks/ caffeine. These issues are more common with micronized because you are practically drinking full amount of kavalactones as supposed to traditional prep which gets you about 15 to 40% of the lactones present in the powder at best. Its always best to follow recommended serving size on the packaging to gauge the strength of the kava first before you attempt to take in more. Even heavy kavas can be problematic at the dose @Ratfish took. You practically wont be able to walk and will fall off to sleep.
I love that kava rush.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
@Ratfish I know I am only reiterating my point but everything you are saying stands out to me as a familiar experience as I too suffer from anxiety and have had that reaction to a couple of strains. If you are bothered by anxiety I really feel that kava has the potential to help you out, especially to avoid alcohol. People with anxiety tend to have that reaction to certain kavas, you can read about them on several threads. If you want to try a heavy kava next Vula waka from kalm with kava is the safe way to go for anxiety hands down. Keep in mind also that there are very light, chatty, and blissful heady kavas out there too. You happened to pick one of the really strong punchy heady kavas, which are actually fairly rare. Pants might not be the best thing to strain with because they are probably too thick if they are sweatpants. I strongly feel that yours is more an issue of which strain you chose rather than the amount you used, but 2-3tbs is a good starting point with any kava. You can use nylon stockings just the cheap kind is fine. I really hope you will get back to us after trying a couple more kavas. Kalm with kava has some great samplers and some come with strainers. by the time you get through a sampler you would know if you like kava or not. But once again, your anxiety reaction sounds 100% like my experience with the same exact type of kava you tried. I had it once and never again. And this is coming from a person who has 7 kinds of kava on hand right now and likes them all. :)

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
It's important to the extent of how strong you want your shells to be. Add more water for a lighter grog or add less for a potent brew. Dealer's choice, I go with less.
I go with less too but the effects are going to be the same, no? It will just take a little longer to drink it if you increase water.

Ratfish

Thanks ThePiper .... yes I will Try vulva waka next .
Figures this would be my luck with my first try .oh well.
I get paid tomorrow, so I will try again :)

Sheryl

Kava Curious
Thanks ThePiper .... yes I will Try vulva waka next .
Figures this would be my luck with my first try .oh well.
I get paid tomorrow, so I will try again :)
My first night was last night too. Not so good. It didn't sit well on my stomach and ended coming back up. I did get the numbness and I had no desire for liquor, which I'm trying to quit consuming. I didn't sleep very good either. I keep looking at the clock now , which I do a count down for liquor, and I'm not so sure I want to try Kava again. I want the experience everyone raves about but I also want to sleep tonight.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My first night was last night too. Not so good. It didn't sit well on my stomach and ended coming back up. I did get the numbness and I had no desire for liquor, which I'm trying to quit consuming. I didn't sleep very good either. I keep looking at the clock now , which I do a count down for liquor, and I'm not so sure I want to try Kava again. I want the experience everyone raves about but I also want to sleep tonight.
I would suggest going for just a one hour early kava mellow in the early evening, then just drink water or pop or whatever for the rest of the night. Krunk is something you need to work up to, IMO, and the path involves getting used to mellow, but in smallish time frames. When I first started krunking it was on lawena and barely lasted a half hour then I'd be done for the night. It took a while to build up to session strength, which is like three or four hours of drinking kava. Or like yesterday when I drank from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.. But like I say, back when I was starting a half hour lawena krunk was more than enough to have lots of effects on my life, good dreams, radically decreasing desire for alcohol, etc....