What's new

Kanaka Kava - Another source of fresh frozen kava

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
http://kanakakava.com/?post_type=product

Anyone tried it? Pretty dang pricey, but they give you 2 kilograms and if fresh kava is indeed much stronger than dried kava then it seems like it would be worth it. I'm honestly thinking of making this my next kava order. Getting kind of sick of root powder and Paradise has been out of the fresh frozen for awhile.

The shipping is pretty pricey too. It's 1day shipping (obvious, since its frozen). $160 for two kilos of fresh kava...hmm.

They actually have a lot of reviews on yelp, but a lot of them are on the food. Still sounds like most of the people like the kava there. (except the lightweights who can't handle the taste -- come drink a gallon of stone you wimps)

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
So I was reading up on Paradise's fresh frozen and it does seem to be less potent by weight than dry, which makes sense since it would have a lot of water weight in it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
10 lbs for $250? I always thought I needed a second freezer. When I ordered 6lbs of frozen from Adil it fit quite nicely into the freezer part of my fridge.....I mean, I could always just throw away some food to make room. We all know what's more important here.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yeah, maybe a little more work involved, but mark my words I will be doing this some day soon. Fresh is totally worth every penny.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
dope! i'm glad someone's tryin' it out...lookin forward to the experience report

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Zack Gibson owns that, he has his own farm and grows the 'Awa for his 'Awa bar in Kona, he is a good guy. Also it takes 5 pounds of fresh wet root to make 1 pound of dry powder, that will give you an idea of how much 'Awa you can make from a pound of powder and I have directions from Ed Johnston, who drinks fresh root every day from his 'Awa farm, this is how he makes his----3- Making the 'Awa drink with fresh root pulp.
First you need to get the fresh 'Awa root into a pulp, a sausage mill will work or even pounding like in the old days. Once it is in a pulp, put about 16 ounces of 'Awa in a bowl and add 4-6 cups of water. Mix the pulp and the water very well and then pour it into a silkscreen or a strainer, knead the pulp in the water so that you get all the kavalactones out of the pulp and into the water, I do this a few times and you can even change the water and start again with about 1-2 cups of water, this second batch will not be as strong as the first batch. When you are done kneading the Awa that is in the strainer bag then squeeze all the water out of the bag and your Awa is ready to drink.
Aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
mmmmmm. fresh frozen. My absolute favorite out of every kava. Anesthetic green tea? Yes please!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I am real glad you got to try the fresh 'awa and that you liked it, it is very different compared to the dry 'awa in taste, it is about the same strength wise it just depends on how much powder you add or how much fresh root you have and just to let you know, on average it will take 5 pounds of fresh root to make 1 pound of dry powder. Aloha nui loa and mahalo nui loa.
Maika'i ka hana O ka 'Awa.

Chris