Kava Culture Katarina's kava success

infraredz

BULA!
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=267287

Katarina's kava success
Siteri Sauvakacolo
Friday, May 02, 2014

+ Enlarge this image

Katarina Naviri with yaqona from her farm at Mataveikai Village, Ra. Picture: BALJEET SINGH

KATARINA Naviri, 56, has been in the yaqona (kava) business for the past 15 years.

It has been her family's only source of income.

She says kava has been the only source of income which has helped her family with the everyday living needs and wants.

Mrs Naviri said she was not aware of other options that were available to her to also save money for her family.

She learnt about this at a workshop conducted at Mataveikai Village in Ra last week, and described it as an eye -opening experience.

Mrs Naviri said she never knew that there were other means of investments she could get involved in to enable her to save extra money after all the family expenses.

She said the only method she was aware of, was to save money at home and use it for the family's everyday spending.

Mrs Naviri said her family relied heavily on kava farming and the money earned from the sale of it. This had been their livelihood all these years.

"I never knew there were other ways of making money in this business.

"All we know is we just sell yaqona and we keep whatever money we earn for our family's benefit.

"I didn't even know that I could have invested money and that there are other means of saving some money from what we earn," she said.

Mrs Naviri was the only lady farmer among the more than 100 farmers who attended the workshop organised by the International Trade Centre.

She said she was happy about the new initiative she can now take to sell her yaqona from home instead of taking it to the market.

Her two sons have left school and are also in the yaqona business.

"This is a big relief for us farmers because we now do not have to pay expenses to travel to the market," she said.

"I will also be able to save a lot of money from this initiative and keep it for my family and for any function that happens in the village."

The yaqona business has been of great assistance to Mrs Naviri's family, more so now that she has learnt of a better option of making money from it.

Mrs Naviri said whenever there was a village function, only one member of her family would attend and not all of them, to avoid wasting time and energy.

With last week's workshop being hailed a success by Mrs Naviri, she is now better prepared to work out a budget system at home and seek more advice on how she, as a lady yaqona farmer, can better utilise her business earnings.