What's new

Kava & Acid Reflux & Omeprazole

Status
Not open for further replies.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Hey, guys!

The past couple weeks my acid reflux has been really bad. A doctor visit resulted in me doubling my dose of omeprazole from 40mg a day to 40mg twice a day, ideally taken before meals. I've been wanting to get a friend to try kava since it's a unique and awesome plant and we finally agreed upon drinking some kava tomorrow night.

But I am concerned with how kava will interact with me, whether or it will make my reflux worse or if it will inhibit the effects of the omeprazole. I plan to ask a doctor about this also but from you guys, who have probably gone through life thick and thin with a shell in hand, any of you guys have acid reflux and how has kava fared with it? Does it conflict with omeprazole or any other drugs (like ranitidine) taken for treating reflux?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey, guys!

The past couple weeks my acid reflux has been really bad. A doctor visit resulted in me doubling my dose of omeprazole from 40mg a day to 40mg twice a day, ideally taken before meals. I've been wanting to get a friend to try kava since it's a unique and awesome plant and we finally agreed upon drinking some kava tomorrow night.

But I am concerned with how kava will interact with me, whether or it will make my reflux worse or if it will inhibit the effects of the omeprazole. I plan to ask a doctor about this also but from you guys, who have probably gone through life thick and thin with a shell in hand, any of you guys have acid reflux and how has kava fared with it? Does it conflict with omeprazole or any other drugs (like ranitidine) taken for treating reflux?
I can speak on this directly. I took, regularly, omeprazole for a good year maybe 4 years ago due to some really bad GERD that would plague me daily. I gave up drinking soft drinks and have since quit taking it. (Who would have thought, right?)

Kava didn't interact with my acid reflux in any negative way. In fact, the numbing action of kava really did sooth the heartburn. Omeprazole should be used with caution when combined with other drugs due to its ability to suppress enzymatic pathways in the same manner than kava can. With this in mind, I personally didn't experience any negative effects with combining the two. I did notice, however, that my dermapothy settled down quite a bit once I stopped taking omeprazole.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I can speak on this directly. I took, regularly, omeprazole for a good year maybe 4 years ago due to some really bad GERD that would plague me daily. I gave up drinking soft drinks and have since quit taking it. (Who would have thought, right?)

Kava didn't interact with my acid reflux in any negative way. In fact, the numbing action of kava really did sooth the heartburn. Omeprazole should be used with caution when combined with other drugs due to its ability to suppress enzymatic pathways in the same manner than kava can. With this in mind, I personally didn't experience any negative effects with combining the two. I did notice, however, that my dermapothy settled down quite a bit once I stopped taking omeprazole.
Oh man, this is nice to know! If anything, I could use a good way to unwind tomorrow night. Not that work is stressing me out, but honestly stress is just a real thing that needs to go away, or at least go into the broom closet for a bit.

Sorry to make you dig into your memory bank a bit, but when you took omeprazole with kava, did you space these out any amount of time (i.e. take a pill, wait an hour, then drink kava)?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh man, this is nice to know! If anything, I could use a good way to unwind tomorrow night. Not that work is stressing me out, but honestly stress is just a real thing that needs to go away, or at least go into the broom closet for a bit.

Sorry to make you dig into your memory bank a bit, but when you took omeprazole with kava, did you space these out any amount of time (i.e. take a pill, wait an hour, then drink kava)?
:) I took Omeprazole at around 4-5pm when I arrived home and drank kava around 10pm the same night for a good solid year, possibly longer.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
:) I took Omeprazole at around 4-5pm when I arrived home and drank kava around 10pm the same night for a good solid year, possibly longer.
I've been taking my 2nd dose of 40mg omeprazole around 5 before I get off work. Depending on how long it takes me to get home, I either make/eat dinner when I get home or else wait a bit before eating anything. Perhaps I'll prep up the kava and just refrain from drinking it until an hour has passed, see how that goes.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've been taking my 2nd dose of 40mg omeprazole around 5 before I get off work. Depending on how long it takes me to get home, I either make/eat dinner when I get home or else wait a bit before eating anything. Perhaps I'll prep up the kava and just refrain from drinking it until an hour has passed, see how that goes.
I'll admit, I don't quite understand how a drug with a half-life of 1 hour could possibly be effective for 24, but....I know it does. Your system is clear of omeprazole in 3-4 hours tops.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Definitely make sure your not drinking pop or eating chicken fingers every other day.
You can also use a digestive bitter like orange peel as a tea( buy the herb or use organic orange peels to avoid pesticides)
Or dandelion leaf from supermarket with meals. This will eliminate the acid reflux

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
chicken fingers
I don't eat these every day but I did have these last weekend with the bros and I felt like I was dying later in the evening. It was intense. Luckily a walk around the block made me feel better. I feel like other times I've had anything that was deep fried it has not been an issue. I do hope I can eat chicken fingers in the near future without feeling like I'm a computer freezing up and crashing. I live for the tendies!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So is omeprazole inhibiting absorption of kava or vice versa?
If anything, omeprazole will probably increase the effects of kava slightly while kava will likely increase the half life of omeprazole slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.