What's new

Kava allergy vs Kava Dermopathy (acquired Ichthyosis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
A member's post about an allergic reaction to kava and a few other posts about dermo have made me realise that many new users might be confusing these two distinct (albeit possibly somewhat remotely related as proposed by Lebot et al and our friend @KrunkMunster ). So just a quick list. Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Kava Dermopathy (more accurately described as "acquired ichthyosis", also known as kani kani in Fiji). Key characteristics:
-Affects most (if not all?) heavy and chronic users of kava (usually more than 250g of powder per week and daily consumption over several months or years).
-Starts with a bit of itchiness and dry skin
-Skin might be a bit reddish/irritated
-Slowly progresses, skin gets drier, flaky. Can be quite itchy (due to drying)
-Reduction or cessation of kava consumption gradually reduces the symptoms within 2-3 weeks.
-It can be mitigated with moisturises, diet rich in fish, coconut oil etc
-It can be avoided by moderation in kava consumption
-Generally not recognised as a big problem.

Kava Allergy - Generally similar to many other food or drug allergies, but (fortunately) there are no reports of anyone going into an anaphylactic shock because of it.
-Affects only a very small % of kava users. Anecdotally, it is more likely to affect women of European ancestry and/or men and women of English/Northern European ancestry than anyone else.
-It's not dose-dependent. Some people get an allergic reaction to a kava candy, others get it after consuming 1kg of strong kava
-Most people who get it, experience it out of a sudden following several weeks of kava consumption (usually within the first 3 months). Some people can get it after many years of consumption.
-Starts with a very itchy rash or "sun burn"-type, persistent and itchy red skin. These symptoms usually occur within a couple of hours of consumption (up to 6, but rarely within the first half an hour)
-Can progress to extremely itchy and/or painful hives, rapidly spreading rash
-in more extreme cases it causes "puffy"/"swollen" face, hands etc. The "puffy face" is probably the single biggest difference. Even the most extreme forms of kava dermo won't cause the "puffy face" (but may cause some reddish rash and/or itching)
-No reports of difficulty breathing, possibly due to relatively slow development and skin-centric nature of the allergy? (just pure speculation)
-According to some reports it is (in many cases) "reversible" - some users only get it once or twice and never again. Others manage to get desensitised, i.e. manage to "drink through it".
Note: Easy to confuse with an allergy to mould or other substances present in your kava.

Last edited by a moderator:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
It is my understanding that an allergic reaction to anything usually occurs within 24 hours (if not minutes) and as you said @Henry, most other forms of this "allergic reaction" are (I think, not an expert) dermo, dehydration and/or lack of a proper nutrition.

D

Deleted User01

Good post Henry, I though the allergic member's symptoms were over the top for dermo. I might also say that the allergy season is full bore upon us here in Texas. I have noticed itchy skin after going outside and sneezing. I immediately change clothes after gardening because I know it's raining green pollen on me. Even the cars are stained green. I know it's not the kava because my wife has symptoms and so does the whole city. So be on the alert for run of the mill allergies and the possibility that kava could aggravate them.

mzii

Kava Curious
Unfortunately I have developed this kava allergy. It is definitely not dermo, as I've experienced that as well and they're distinctively different. It started out as hay fever like symptoms, and now has developed into itchy hives and a flushed face. My reaction seems to be less severe than others, the hives are moderate and go away rather quickly. Another interesting fact is that the effects of kava just aren't as pleasant anymore. Maybe this is because I'm associating them with the reaction in my head, not sure. Another strange thing is that I am really not prone to allergies. The only other thing I've ever been allergic to is penicillin and I've never had seasonal allergies. I'm going to try taking a month off kava and then slowly reintroduce it through kava candies (which I've oddly never had a reaction to no matter how many I've eaten), as apparently that has worked for other members. Or maybe I'm one of the unlucky ones that will continue to have this reaction, in which case I will have to give up kava for good. This makes me sad but kava has already helped me in many ways and I'll be forever greatful to it for that.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Unfortunately I have developed this kava allergy. It is definitely not dermo, as I've experienced that as well and they're distinctively different. It started out as hay fever like symptoms, and now has developed into itchy hives and a flushed face. My reaction seems to be less severe than others, the hives are moderate and go away rather quickly. Another interesting fact is that the effects of kava just aren't as pleasant anymore. Maybe this is because I'm associating them with the reaction in my head, not sure. Another strange thing is that I am really not prone to allergies. The only other thing I've ever been allergic to is penicillin and I've never had seasonal allergies. I'm going to try taking a month off kava and then slowly reintroduce it through kava candies (which I've oddly never had a reaction to no matter how many I've eaten), as apparently that has worked for other members. Or maybe I'm one of the unlucky ones that will continue to have this reaction, in which case I will have to give up kava for good. This makes me sad but kava has already helped me in many ways and I'll be forever greatful to it for that.
:( have you tried re-introducing kava using smaller amounts?

mzii

Kava Curious
:( have you tried re-introducing kava using smaller amounts?
Not yet, interestingly enough I've been having the candies with no reaction at all, which leads me to believe it may be the actual root I'm reacting to rather than the kavalactones. I'm going to take a full month off root then try again in a low dose, well strained.

Status
Not open for further replies.