What's new

Kava and acid problems

I have acid problems and I also take kava about six tbsp twice a week. Ive reduced my intake to two times per week after using it for 4 days per week for a decade. Does anyone know if kava can cause acid reflux (for example like hot salsa)? Maybe it relaxes the barrier between your stomach and esophagus for acid to flow up like when alcohol is consumed? Does anyone know what effect kava can have on the lining of the esophagus?

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
I think it does, I've had the same problems with kava. I usually have to take antacids when drinking kava but don't use them all the time because they're not that cheap.

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
Gaviscon squad reporting in. Don't rule out that you're just getting old. It's an age-related problem for a lot of people.

schatz

itchin for kava
I have acid problems and I also take kava about six tbsp twice a week. Ive reduced my intake to two times per week after using it for 4 days per week for a decade. Does anyone know if kava can cause acid reflux (for example like hot salsa)? Maybe it relaxes the barrier between your stomach and esophagus for acid to flow up like when alcohol is consumed? Does anyone know what effect kava can have on the lining of the esophagus?
I have also had this problem way before starting kava a few years ago and I am now 54. If I do feel acid reflux coming on I do magnesium in a tablet that I can chew up with a mouthful of water and it is ususually a chelated tablet, right now I have been using Sprouts bran 250 mg. and we are all lacking in magnesium anyway. If it gets real bad I will take a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Avoid Antacids like Tums I was told by my chiro because it is loaded with calcium and other stuff we don't need as well as costing more $. Good luck.

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
I have also had this problem way before starting kava a few years ago and I am now 54. If I do feel acid reflux coming on I do magnesium in a tablet that I can chew up with a mouthful of water and it is ususually a chelated tablet, right now I have been using Sprouts bran 250 mg. and we are all lacking in magnesium anyway. If it gets real bad I will take a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Avoid Antacids like Tums I was told by my chiro because it is loaded with calcium and other stuff we don't need as well as costing more $. Good luck.
will try this method out as well, thanks!

Do you think kava relaxes the barrier between the stomach and the esophagus like alcohol so acid comes up or do you think kava causes more acid to be produced like when you eat hot salsa? And how does magnesium help?

schatz

itchin for kava
I am not sure that K ava relaxes barrier between stomach and throat, but magnesium and baking soda neutralizes acid very well for me and I just recommend to friends when asked. The other night my wife made sevichi and the next day and the night of, my stomach felt great, do not know if maybe I was lacking in acids and the lime and lemon juice w/ all the red onion just forced my stomach to make more of it's own alkylizing chemicals or if placebo. will have to revisit that soon and see if it repeats, maybe this weekend.