What's new

Medicinal Usage Kava and anti depressants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Been on lexapro for a few months now and was wondering if any others here also use AD in conjunction with kava? I’ve heard the two can interact but seems the jury is still out.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I think the great Duke of Edinborogu once said that the only SSRI's he uses are kava.

Both substances have similar effects. It's all natural neurochemistry, but adding a strong kava session to a medicated mind COULD have unexpected effects. As far as I know, nothing dangerous. Certainly not brain zaps or serotonin syndrome. Maybe feeling emotions more strongly.

The great thing about kava versus SSRI's is you don't have to slowly build up over a few weeks and reassess their effect on a patient. Plus, there's no risk in quitting kava cold turkey.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I was on an antidepressant before I got into Kava. I can’t exactly estimate your reaction but I didn’t personally notice any negatives. I didn’t like the anti-depressant personally. It removed many of the lows I felt, I also never had any highs if that makes sense. Everything just felt dulled.

Kava has replaced it for me and is much more beneficial for me personally. Kava has allowed me to slow down and think things through more rationally which has permanently changed my mindset as apposed to just simply medicating it. I didn’t begin drinking Kava for this purpose but it just seemed to help as a byproduct. Can’t speak for what you will experience though. Pay attention to the signals your mind and body send you.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
I was on an antidepressant before I got into Kava. I can’t exactly estimate your reaction but I didn’t personally notice any negatives. I didn’t like the anti-depressant personally. It removed many of the lows I felt, I also never had any highs if that makes sense. Everything just felt dulled.

Kava has replaced it for me and is much more beneficial for me personally. Kava has allowed me to slow down and think things through more rationally which has permanently changed my mindset as apposed to just simply medicating it. I didn’t begin drinking Kava for this purpose but it just seemed to help as a byproduct. Can’t speak for what you will experience though. Pay attention to the signals your mind and body send you.
That’s what I feel from lexapro. Can’t feel the highs or the lows at all

cidetraq

I would like to bump this thread because I'm on small dose of Prozac and have never (really) tried good quality kava while on it .I'm also taking an atypical antipsychotic , Invega, wondering if there's an interaction there .

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I would like to bump this thread because I'm on small dose of Prozac and have never (really) tried good quality kava while on it .I'm also taking an atypical antipsychotic , Invega, wondering if there's an interaction there .
It's unlikely.

Here's what I found re Invega:
"Although in vitro studies suggested a role for CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 in the metabolism of paliperidone, in vivo results indicate that these isozymes play a limited role in the overall elimination of paliperidone. Four primary metabolic pathways have been identified in vivo, none of which could be shown to account for more than 10% of the dose: dealkylation, hydroxylation, dehydrogenation, and benzisoxazole scission. Paliperidone does not undergo extensive metabolism and a significant portion of its metabolism occurs in the kidneys."
https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01267

Kava supreses metabolic pathways which causes some drugs to stick around for longer, or cause an increase in side effects due to the increased half-life in your system. What drugbank is saying is that Invega doesn't use this normal way of breaking down, and is, instead, metabolized more by the kidneys. For Prozac, it's actually has the same effect as kava on liver enzymes. What this tells me is that your doctor has probably already taken this into account when co-prescribing.

In short, from the information we have now, it seems that this mixture is very unlikely to cause issues.

Calling @BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC to check me :)

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
It's unlikely.

Here's what I found re Invega:
"Although in vitro studies suggested a role for CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 in the metabolism of paliperidone, in vivo results indicate that these isozymes play a limited role in the overall elimination of paliperidone. Four primary metabolic pathways have been identified in vivo, none of which could be shown to account for more than 10% of the dose: dealkylation, hydroxylation, dehydrogenation, and benzisoxazole scission. Paliperidone does not undergo extensive metabolism and a significant portion of its metabolism occurs in the kidneys."
https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01267

Kava supreses metabolic pathways which causes some drugs to stick around for longer, or cause an increase in side effects due to the increased half-life in your system. What drugbank is saying is that Invega doesn't use this normal way of breaking down, and is, instead, metabolized more by the kidneys. For Prozac, it's actually has the same effect as kava on liver enzymes. What this tells me is that your doctor has probably already taken this into account when co-prescribing.

In short, from the information we have now, it seems that this mixture is very unlikely to cause issues.

Calling @BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC to check me :)
PERFECT! I could not have said it better myself. :) Kava is harmless in almost all situations, including this one. Great, thorough, research!

Status
Not open for further replies.