What's new

Kava and Ashwaganda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
I know that the general opinion is that you should try to avoid mixing kava with any other herb, but do you think it would be safe to use kava in conjunction with ashwaganda for my anxiety, or just use more kava?

Ashwaganda is an adaptogen, sooo what that means is that it's supposed to adapt to your body's needs giving it more of what it doesn't have and less of what it already does. Cortisol is the main stress hormone that we have in our bodies, and ashwaganda has been proven to lower that hormone effectively...

So what do you all recommend?

P.S. I read some thread on here earlier that kava supposedly lowers sex drive with longer term use? I'm a young dude, and I work out 5 times a week, not to mention I eat pretty healthy... Will kava prevent my dick from working if I'm not careful. I do tend to go for the sedating strains especially...

Bwiggy

I like plants
@Shredder - just had to stop when I saw the mention of ashwaganda. I love that stuff - it worked when NO prescription or over the counter stuff worked. . It seems my strong anxiety severly affected my sinuses, making them hugely inflamed all the time!! try sleeping like that! After a year, the ashwaganda became less effective, and I found a new class of helpers called "nootropics" they don't have any side effects and they're generally amazing. I'm using one called Picamilion and another called L-Theanine sometimes *Liftmode brand - check it on amazon). They're fantastic. Sometimes I take 5-htp (really nice). . Also, I meditiate for a half hour every day using a specific technique (taught by Pramahan Yogananda) that includes physical exercises - these all help a LOT.
Good luck!!

blindy107

Kava Lover
haha...the kid harshly disapproves!
yeah, let me know when we find the herb that inhibits reproduction, but facilitates it's physical process.
He must have been pissed at his string cheese...I didn't even notice the glare until I went back and looked at the pic. Haha

Jaynerd

Kava Curious
As an herbalist, ashwagandha is one of my favorite herbs.

Its been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine and there should be no interactions between the two.
Definitely keep taking it.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Ah, the demon that is language!

Kava satisfies, satiates, and slakes one's sexual desires.

P.S. I read some thread on here earlier that kava supposedly lowers sex drive with longer term use? I'm a young dude, and I work out 5 times a week, not to mention I eat pretty healthy... Will kava prevent my dick from working if I'm not careful. I do tend to go for the sedating strains especially...

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
As an herbalist, ashwagandha is one of my favorite herbs.

Its been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine and there should be no interactions between the two.
Definitely keep taking it.
Ashwaganda may have been used safely for 1,000's of years in India, and Kava may have been used safely for 1,000's of years in the Pacific, but no culture has any lengthy period of time in which they used both of these herbs together. We really can't speak on the safety of the combination, because it's simply unknown. There's hardly enough scientific info on Kava, even less with Ashwaganda and just about none with the combination of the two.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Yea... I'd ask a doctor but I really don't trust them. I mean, my last primary care that I went to see a few years back. I told him that I was having panic attacks, and after we tried drugs and they didn't work he was like, "There is nothing I can do to help you."

I think some doctors really do wanna help, but the majority of them are just in the pocket of Big Pharma.

I'll try and do more research as to whether ashwaganda can be safely mixed with kava. If you guys hear anything please let me know!!!

Thank you.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I think some doctors really do wanna help, but the majority of them are just in the pocket of Big Pharma.
Totally agreed. Never has this been more evident than when my wife told me her psychiatrist tried to prescribe her to a $900/month medication. He said he had NO clue whatsoever how much these drugs costs, which tells me either he didn't give a tinkers damn, or he was so deep into someone's pockets that he was willing to lie about it. I really disliked the guy.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
lol, my surgeon from years ago said he would call up the people at the hospital and chew them out for how much they charge inpatients for stuff like tylenol. If only there were more doctors like him.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast

starscolliding

Kava Curious
I am very into Chinese herbs, and have studied a few of the Indian ones including the one you mention. My opinion is to not mix anything with Kava. On the other hand, I mix herbs as part of herbalism itself when working within a system.

If you really want to do the research, figure out what liver enzymes or other enzymes each herb uses, like CYP450 is very common, and if there is no crossover then that is good but honestly you still don't really know anything. If there is crossover then definitely stay away from it.

Some of my top other choices now when doing Kava are Ginseng, Reishi, theanine, Zizyphus, and one that is shockingly good for how simple, cheap and good tasting it is, Rooibos. Get a good quality rooibos and drink 6 cups a day. You'll be shocked. It won't stop a panic attack, though.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I just ordered some of this stuff. I need something compact to take with me to South Sudan which will also be able to help me relax.

Jaynerd

Kava Curious
Ashwaganda may have been used safely for 1,000's of years in India, and Kava may have been used safely for 1,000's of years in the Pacific, but no culture has any lengthy period of time in which they used both of these herbs together. We really can't speak on the safety of the combination, because it's simply unknown. There's hardly enough scientific info on Kava, even less with Ashwaganda and just about none with the combination of the two.
Well, if its any consolation I take ashwagandha every day. I am perfectly fine.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
@Jaynerd. You're serious and not just trolling, right? That's kind of a relief... I plan on taking the Gash in the morning, and then ingesting the kava either late afternoon or at night time.

Status
Not open for further replies.