What's new

Kava and Ashwaganda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaynerd

Kava Curious
@Jaynerd. You're serious and not just trolling, right? That's kind of a relief... I plan on taking the Gash in the morning, and then ingesting the kava either late afternoon or at night time.
Nope not trolling... I take a nice heaping half teaspoon of the powder daily. From what I personally know I just dont see why there would be any interactions.. Nor do I feel any... I have even taken them back to back.

Ashwagandha isnt really used for acute problems, it doesnt work the same way an MAOI would, or something that binds to gaba receptors or suppresses glutamate. In india its considered the "indian ginseng" (even though I believe it to be much more effective). The only contraindications I have ever read about has been for people with an overactive thyroid. Even then the research is scarce and scanty.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Ashwagandha and kava is good, but like others have said, ashwagandha is more long term, it'll relax you a little taken with kava, hell my mom says it knocks her out, but don't expect like a anxiolytic bomb haha. I take a lot of it, every day, and I drink kava almost every day as well. Never had a single problem stem from it, but if you're concerned, get blood work done on a semi-regular basis that way you can determine issues that you may not have noticed, or considered, should they arise. Best wishes brother! Ime it does wonders for the body, and seems to do even more with kava helping your brain out too.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Well, I used to like valium a lot when I was in Peace Corps. It was a good way to really bring down my nerves when I would get anxious about stuff. Many Kavas don't guarantee that level of relaxation. Sometimes you can even drink a Kava that acts as an upper and even induces anxiety. I tried Ashwagandha yesterday and today and it has a wholly different kind of feeling, so I wouldn't compare it to Kava. It brings on more drowsiness and a more sedative effect (like "I couldn't care less about my problems.") But still, I like it a lot. I like Kava much more, but, like I said, I wouldn't say the two have an equal purpose.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Glad to see the Kavasseur endorses the ancient indian herb... I'm gonna get my hands on some of this shit. Hell, I'll need it if what they say about kava lowering testosterone is true...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it as well Stinkweed. I have to make sure that it's from a good distributor, but I think it's gonna be good!

ulaar

Kava Curious
Well, I used to like valium a lot when I was in Peace Corps. It was a good way to really bring down my nerves when I would get anxious about stuff. Many Kavas don't guarantee that level of relaxation. Sometimes you can even drink a Kava that acts as an upper and even induces anxiety. I tried Ashwagandha yesterday and today and it has a wholly different kind of feeling, so I wouldn't compare it to Kava. It brings on more drowsiness and a more sedative effect (like "I couldn't care less about my problems.") But still, I like it a lot. I like Kava much more, but, like I said, I wouldn't say the two have an equal purpose.
@Kavasseur , What was your dose like? Interesting stuff...

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Where are you folks ordering Ashwagandha from? I'm not sure where the best place is to buy it, or what the good quality stuff is. Anyone know?

Jaynerd

Kava Curious
Where are you folks ordering Ashwagandha from? I'm not sure where the best place is to buy it, or what the good quality stuff is. Anyone know?
By far the best brand of Ashwagandha you are going to find is from Banyan Botanicals. They specialize only in Ayurvedic herbs and formulas and carry some of the best quality stuff ive ever tasted.

Its also important to note that you get the powdered root. It is meant to be taken this way. not through capsule or extract or tincture. You are meant to consume the powdered root in hot water (but preferably boiled milk). This in my opinion is the best way and how it has been consumed for thousands of years.

MikeB

I like Mo'i
By far the best brand of Ashwagandha you are going to find is from Banyan Botanicals. They specialize only in Ayurvedic herbs and formulas and carry some of the best quality stuff ive ever tasted.

Its also important to note that you get the powdered root. It is meant to be taken this way. not through capsule or extract or tincture. You are meant to consume the powdered root in hot water (but preferably boiled milk). This in my opinion is the best way and how it has been consumed for thousands of years.
Thank you! So I should get this, right?
http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/shop/category/bulk-herbs-spices-formulas/ashwagandha-powder

How much would you recommend that I buy for a first-time buyer, and how much of a dose should I take each time?

Mike

Jaynerd

Kava Curious

Introspect

Kava Curious
Very informative thread about Ashwaganda. Since I've found the forums here and become so passionate about researching and studying the plethora of benefits and healing properties from the various herbs in creation, when I want to look something up now I find myself coming here first to type it in the search bar, lol.

R

Rookietwoshoes

Just tried some ashwaganda from tattvaherbs.com. Very solid product in case anyone is looking to buy any.

R

Rookietwoshoes

It's nothing like kava in terms of intensity or psychoactive effects. I take it during the day along with rhodiola for smooth energy and mood support. it's not over the top effect wise , although i do notice it when I don't take it . I don't take the herbs simultaneously with kava and I make sure 8 hours pass before I drink kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.