What's new

kava and blindness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Infamybrian

Was having some eye irrational from daily kava(Koniak via Toss and Wash) intake for 2 weeks straight. After looking up information on what i can do for eye irritation I found site that claimed kava kava can cause blindness. Has there ever been a case?
http://vanuatu.peacecorps.gov/history-kava.php.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Absolutely not. If kava causes blindness I would have been blinded 10 times over. I'm going on the better part of a decade drinking kava on a daily basis. Someone threw that in there because they thought it looked good. I will tell you this though, it's tough on your eyes if you wear contacts. Kava interferes with your sebaceous oil glands, and can cause eye problems like sties, but that's only if you've got dirty fingers touching your eyes on a regular basis (apparently I fell well into this group)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I wear contacts and got some super dry eye. It happened when I got whacked with my first case of Derma Ich. When that cleared up, so did my dry eyes (for the most part).

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
As someone who has probably consumed more kava in one sitting, and had the worst dermopathy on this forum, I can concur, kava does not cause blindness.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
In the link you provided they listed as some of the negative side effects as--
Gastrointestinal ailments can lead to death
Addictive properties?
Blindness
This is so very false, I have never! Never! heard of this, we would all be addicted to a gastrointestinal ailment causer that would lead to death, but if we go blind first then we won't be able to see the kava cup to drink anymore so we don't have to worry about it.
I have had several instances where people I know have been allergic to kava and they break out into a rash but not blindness.
Aloha

Chris

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
That's a ridiculous claim. People should be ashamed of themselves for writing such misleading garbage. It's irresponsible to spread falsehoods around like that. :banghead:

D

Deactivated Account

Just look at the huge daily consumption in Vanuatu & blindness is most certainly not an issue there.

I get dry eyes with derm as I believe if you skin is drying then of course your eyes will prob get dry also however being what they are...it's noticeable. I just use those new type eye sprays that are seemingly replacing drops these days.

That said I don't get it from fresh kava in Vanuatu as well as not getting derm. Fresh root is a different kava to mixed powder which is what gives me derm.

D

Deleted User01

Dude, I have experienced Dry Syndrome on occasion and I blamed it on Kava. But that was during the height of the allergy season and I spend way too much time working on the computer (its a living) so I can't really totally blame it on Kava thought it didn't help. Here is a rational answer, Kava may aggravate Dry Eye Syndrome and especially if you are not drinking enough liquiids and/or it is being aggravated by allergies. Hey, what about that other theory about causes Blindness? Remember when you were going into puberty and you found your new best friend? Did that cause Blindness? Sorry, I'm feelng frisky tonite. :D P.S. Sorry if you're not a dude. :hilarious:

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
No, kava can and will dry the shit out of your eyes, swell them up, constant watering etc. However I was drinking 20tbs of nambawan or stone daily for this to happen.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.