Change background image

Kava and blood pressure

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Zac Imiola (Herbalist), Apr 14, 2019.

1. Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist) Kava Enthusiast

2. El Guapo510

El Guapo510 Member

Are you measuring your BP before or after you eat? If after, are you sure its not related to the meal? High salt, heavy oils, and even certain spices can raise your BP. I've found Kava to lower mine a little bit or have no effect so curious about this topic.
  3. Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

It seems that after I eat I get it sometimes regardless of kava but that kava is enhancing it. Not causing but enhancing.
    Most likely it's due to dehydration of other electrolytes that then cause the American sodium rich diet to predominate in the system
  4. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

Interesting, never really thought about my BP before and after drinking kava. At work I have access to a nice blood pressure monitor. I don't typically drink kava at work, but maybe the next time I do I will do a before and after measurement. For science of course...
  5. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

I find kava lowers my BP but raises my pulse.
  6. Crunked

Crunked Proselytizer

Agree.
  7. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

I don't have a way of reading my bp but i think kava almost definitely lowers bp based on my experiences and reading. I also think it lowers blood sugar, which for folks like me with high metabolism can lead to feeling pretty yucky if i don't have a snack and decide to be active. Been caught on several hikes thinking i would drink kava beforehand and not bring a snack..
  8. Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

I've never had kava drop my blood sugar oddly enough ... and I've become very sensitive to Lbs. Since many herbs do ! Even peppermint ! Found that out the other day lol
  9. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

Honestly my blood sugar spikes and dips like nothing and if i don't eat every few hours I get low sugar. So maybe just waiting to eat is the culprit. Also the lower blood pressure could probably cause similar symptoms to lower blood sugar.