What's new

Kava and caffeine

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
Allright - some dude told me, that by drinking Kava and coffee at the same time, you could get some pretty serious effects similar to amphetamine.
What do you guys think about Kava's interaction with caffeine? I've never tried it myself :D

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I don't know who that dude is, but he's giving kava dudes a bad name.

I don't think it's a great combo. I'll sometimes segue from drinking tea straight to kava with no issues, but I think adding a bunch of caffeine to kava would just kinda dull the experience.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Allright - some dude told me, that by drinking Kava and coffee at the same time, you could get some pretty serious effects similar to amphetamine.
What do you guys think about Kava's interaction with caffeine? I've never tried it myself :D
I've had caffeine with kava, and I kind of feel like they work a bit at odds to each other. That said, a heady kava and a few red bulls at a concert kept me awake and lively for the whole night. I guess it depends on whether you want to go up (heady) or down (body) with your kava session. Caffeine helps with the former, but makes the latter distracting.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
I suspect they kind of cancel each other out for me. Though I've heard of people having a little black tea along side their kava, I don't think I'd do something stronger like coffee. Coffee does the opposite of relax me.

D

Deleted User01

Why spoil the mellow sleepy effects of kava with caffeine?. Doesn't make sense to me. If I drink coffee at night or even in the afternoon, I don't sleep well. I drink Kava to sleep well so it doesn't add up for me. I have to admit that I likes myself some good strong coffee the morning after kava. :hungry: One more thing, it is never a good idea to mix drugs. It reeks too much of druggie behavior which most of us are trying to avoid or at least rid ourselves thereof. :banghead:

Yes my friend, for some reason the coffee draws out the Kava high. I have noticed it when placing the instant Kava powder that vendors like "Kona Kava" make into the coffee.

I don't think it has anything to do with the caffeine in the coffee. Rather I believe it has more to do with the oil the bean produces after the brewing process. Because I do not notice the same euphoric high when placing the instant powder into teas.

Although I can't say for sure how exactly the coffee does this, I hypothesize that the coffee bean oil must have the same property as lecithin does at drawing out the Kava high from the grounded up root.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
This is an old thread.
I have been drinking coffee + kava a couple of times now, and it gives me mild nausea and an ill-like feeling. Not worth it and def. not energizing.
Something just tells me that depressants and stimulants should not be mixed.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
This is an old thread.
I have been drinking coffee + kava a couple of times now, and it gives me mild nausea and an ill-like feeling. Not worth it and def. not energizing.
Something just tells me that depressants and stimulants should not be mixed.
I switched to Yerba Mate from coffee. Doesn't interfere with kava. Much nicer energy compared to coffee, no jitters unless you really go crazy with it. This is my favorite mate right now. Subtle natural pear and apple flavor, but not overwhelming or fake fruit flavored, just right. I drink it all day long and sometimes in the evenings. Sometimes I make an iced tea out of it.
cbse.jpg

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Kava inhibits enzymes required for caffeine metabolism so coffee consumed with kava is not the same as caffeine consumed with other substances whether or not they are depressants. I find the effects of enzyme inhibition cause unpredictable side effects rather than potentiating as many claim. My experience is usually there are more side effects and less of the desired effects...

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not a huge coffee drinker but always used to like one good mug in the morning to wake up.
But when I've had kava the night before, the coffee still tastes good, but 10 minutes later makes me feel bad and extra-dehydrated.
Drinking it the same time as kava just sounds completely counterproductive. Sometimes I have a hot green tea before bed after a decent kava session (if I have work the next morning) just to give my pipes a rinse, but not coffee.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
I drink kava (heady varieties) and coffee both during the day, and don't notice any ill effect except some taste conflicts occasionally. But that's just me...

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I do it each morning. No buzz. But as I have stated in other threads, I make a cold brew of coffee that will last me a week. I wil put in about a teaspoon of moi instant. So this teaspoon of moi lasts the whole week with the coffee. I find that they do compliment each other nicely when done like this. I think ppl over do the kava when adding to coffee. They synergise nicely. I only use a heady variety when I do this, heavy/body types would counter the effects I want.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah I find kava is nice to have after other substances usually. Such as cannabis and definitley stimulants like coffee ect.
You want to get the dry stuff in BEFORE kava or else when your all dried out from kava you won be able to handle the dryness of that stuff . It's too much and usually dehydrates alot. Cuz cofee tea and cannabis are all astringent . Which means they tighten muscles holding water in but not letting any out or new water in. So you wanna hydrate before ingesting any astringents. And have kava after so your not trapping the dryness from kava then you can't properly hydrate.... does this make sense ? I can further elaborate lol.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Just remembered my boss puts a teaspoon of micro in her morning coffee. She says it hides the taste of the kava. Sounds like it would taste horrible to me. Then I remember that it is uber cool that my boss drinks kava so who cares if her grog is gross.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Oh dear, Kava and caffeine are a BRUTAL mix.

I really depend on caffeine for productivity during the day, so I'm not an anti-caffeine guy. But if I drink a bunch of coffee and then follow up with Kava - or vise versa - I just tumble head first into anxiety. Don't know why, but it's always been the case. I need to drink Kava without anything else interfering or it just doesn't work for me.

D

Deleted User01

I love coffee and I don't necessarily think of it as a dose of Caffeine though it is a major dose. There is nothing I enjoy better than waking up with that nice mellow kava feeling, sitting down at the table with the newspaper, and drinking 4 cups of top grade coffee while I read and eat breakfast. It's a routine I love. And I love how the coffee slowly brings me out of my Kava Cloud and get's me energized for some serious work. I think it is just a morning ritual that really kicks off the day for me.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I frequently wash down a spoon full of micro with my morning coffee. Never had any ill effects. I drink coffee till early afternoon then switch to several bags of tea, out of convenience.

It's certainly not amphetamine like in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.