What's new

Kava and driving....lets not kid ourselves

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
Part of keeping Kavas reputation clean involves honesty regarding this drug and operating heavy machinery. Ive read a few studies and seen some comments online about how Kava and driving are unaffected! This line of thinking kind of mirrors what some folks say about Marijuana and driving, swearing to high heaven that their driving practically improves once they smoke weed! :wacky:

Im gonna call malarkey on both folks. Ill leave weed out of the discussion and focus on the Kava, but fact is no one should be driving on this plant. Can someone take a mellow dose and drive without hicups? Sure! No different than someone can drink a full bodied IPA and drive even though some would still be over the legal limit.....but why even risk it?

For those of you toss and wash folks, im sure you understand me when I say just how messed up someone can become on Kava ::winkeyz:: Its a blast, but driving? Come on guys! I dont care what the "studies" say, someone can easily get seriously injured. Ive tried quite a few different drugs 10 years ago back when I was in high school. I gave Meth the old college try (only once ::cuteness::), Ive tried opiates, hard alcohol, Marijuana, Mushrooms, and a few others. I still consider my strongest dose of Kava to be the single most physically debilitating "High" I have ever encountered in a substance. Not even the strongest alcohol can compare to how physically unbalanced one can become on Kava.

Lets use our logic on this one ::indeedsir::

sentiententity

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah best not to drive while under the influence of anything.

But one thing... kava was the strongest of anything??? How odd. Kava's effects have almost always been rather mild for me.

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
Yes kava was the strongest of anything I have tried as far as its ability to make a man physically uncoordinated with a high enough dose.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Surely alcohol gets you to the point that you literally do not even know what you are doing? I drive for a living and have no qualms about using the right kava at the right dose. I would never use anything even vaguely sedative and in fact the only strains I have ever had and driven have been pouni ono and m'oi. Neither of these in small doses is going to impair your ability at all in my opinion.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yeah I think for you to get to the point where kava impairs your driving you have to be drinking copious amounts and even then it is likely due to tunnel vision. Certain kavas are capable of slightly impairing driving I suppose

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
A big difference is that alcohol gives a lot of people false confidence and a risky sense of courage, despite their physical impairment. When someone is equally as physically impaired on kava, the mind is still very rational and one would be much more inclined to sit down and enjoy the buzz than attempt to go driving. When I drink kava, I can hardly stand doing any tasks that require focus or effort...if I was krunked it would never even cross my mind to drive anywhere...or bike, skate or walk. I just become a peace puddle.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Also it's about personal responsibility. You should be able to tell how you feel and if you feel safe to drive. As shakas says, you don't lose mental impairment so you are in a much better place to judge how you feel and take a conscious decision.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I should also add to my previous statement, that if someone were to ignore what kava almost forces upon you...and choose to drive during your peak impairment period anyway -- you would definitely be unfit for driving;
Slowed perception/reaction, reduced coordination, wobbly eyes and heavy sedation.
Any traffic accident that might occur, certainly wouldn't involve high speeds or aggression however.

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I agree with the overall point that kava not impairing driving much being totally inaccurate. Whilst a few shells of regular kava won't make a lot of difference, driving home after a few large strong shells can be very dangerous. It can make you lose perception of depth of field, make the oncoming headlights fiercely blinding so that you don't know where the roads edges are, and give double vision.
When I visit Vila I like to start my evening at a rough Tanna nakamal 5km out of town - even 2 large shells of theirs can make the drive back a major challenge.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah dosage is clearly a factor here and kind of kava .
I drink kava every single day lol. I get krunk maybe once a night before bed maybe once a week depending on the strain I have... so I drink kava and drive every day and most of the time it's worn off .. or simply just isn't impairing. I'm sorry but I just disagree completley, I've taken mushrooms, lsd, K@, coke, adderall and all that too and being krunk is definitley not a state to drive in but to think anxiolytic doses of kava should stop you from driving is insane to me .... ciggaretes and caffiene should also be blocked then by that logic ..

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
It's all about using your best judgement. You should never drive impaired. But on long drives I actually drink Kava to stay awake sometimes. A light krunk shouldn't affect your capacity to drive, but you should know your limits. And like shakas said, Kava doesn't impair your judgement the way alcohol does.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
I wouldnt drive krunked. Depends on strain though IMO. Some strains I think are fine for driving, but most....nah. After 1 shell I fell perfectly comfortable driving. After a few more, no, I dont think I should be on the road.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
The thing is with kava you don't have a loss of judgement that comes with alcohol , you know exactly how krunked you are and can make
that judgement. If I drink enough kava to become uncoordinated I am unable to reach my car. I plan out the path to bed complete with soft landing places
in case I don't make it. Also the kava effects do not last all that long minutes as opposed to hours .