What's new

Kava and grief.

Was asking if all of you guys could send out your prayers and good thoughts for my dog, "Chase". A couple weeks back he went from amazing health to not even being able to get up one morning. Turns out it was fluid around his heart. Well, they have successfully removed the fluid twice and the vet has been hoping it's not cancer or a tumor causing it. His health is amazing in between them having to drain his heart. I go soon for the scan for tumors in the body. But, the vet is fairly certain it's some type of cancer that is causing this. I have done extensive research over the last few days in anti-cancer diets, herbals and countless other things that I'm going to incorporate into his daily regime and am going to fight the dam# stuff!!!!! I had to go into work today and I'm already on countless shells and it really has helped me to absorb the shock of what the vet said today. Man, the air left my lungs when he said it and I literally stood there hardly not able to breathe. Just crazy. My dog is just about my best friend and he is on my hip CONSTANTLY for the last eight years. And he pulled me out of a really bad part of my life. So, he means the world to me. But, I'm going to be drinking some extra Kava here for a while. The stress of all of this is unbearable and the Kava is really helping. He is my third son. :) Hope all of you guys are free from pain and worry.
DSC05419.JPG

Atticus.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Was asking if all of you guys could send out your prayers and good thoughts for my dog. A couple weeks back he went from amazing health to not even being able to get up one morning. Turns out it was fluid around his heart. Well, they have successfully removed the fluid twice and the vet has been hoping it's not cancer or a tumor causing it. His health is amazing in between them having to drain his heart. I go soon for the scan for tumors in the body. But, the vet is fairly certain it's some type of cancer that is causing this. I have done extensive research over the last few days in anti-cancer diets, herbals and countless other things that I'm going to incorporate into his daily regime and am going to fight the dam# stuff!!!!! I had to go into work today and I'm already on countless shells and it really has helped me to absorb the shock of what the vet said today. Man, the air left my lungs when he said it and I literally stood there hardly not able to breathe. Just crazy. My dog is just about my best friend and he is on my hip CONSTANTLY for the last eight years. And he pulled me out of a really bad part of my life. So, he means the world to me. But, I'm going to be drinking some extra Kava here for a while. The stress of all of this is unbearable and the Kava is really helping. He is my third son. :) Hope all of you guys are free from pain and worry.

Atticus.
Shells tonight in honor of Chase :) Our best friends aren't always human. May his pain ease, and yours as well.

Last edited:

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that Atticus. Hope he gets better. I totally understand how he can be your best mate. Kava will help. It's what it does best.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Oh man, that is a really good boy! I hope he makes it. Not sure if it'll be a cup of grog or a cup of tea, but I'll raise a cup of whatever for this endearing doge!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yes, I think kava helps with grief. That lies at the heart of its most poignant origin story, where kava is the consolation to a boy who mourns his sister. I'm glad kava is there for you since we can't be, not beyond online messages of support.

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I've heard people using cbd oil for cancer with pets and having good results. But who knows if anything will work. I hope he gets better, the worst part is knowing your pet loves you more than you love them.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I did some self-observation of my grief experience this year and I found a very clear delineation between the effects of kava, alcohol and sobriety on grief. Kava drastically diminishes the minds urge to obsess on the negative, creates a sense of calmness/acceptance and reduces the urge to cry. Alcohol encourages you to dive deep into the sadness, it makes you focus on the grief/unfairness, put on sad songs and promotes deep guttural crying. It makes you feel like these are things you actually want to do. The alcohol effect is it's own kind of catharsis, that can be useful, but it's not how you'd wanna feel every night. Sobriety has the distinct feeling of being the cold, harsh reality...obsessive thoughts of grief, but no urge to deliberately dive deeper (like alcohol), frequent and easily triggered tears, no hint of relief except for a slight alleviation after crying.

Kava is very much the preferred escape from grief, so well suited that I'd say it could be considered one of the main indications for kava usage. Usually anxiety, stress and insomnia are named, but grief fits right in there.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

I've heard people using cbd oil for cancer with pets and having good results. But who knows if anything will work. I hope he gets better, the worst part is knowing your pet loves you more than you love them.
Thanks so much. I've had him on CBD oil for 3 days now. Great thinking. :)

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Prayers for Chase! Shakas up there put it well, I've recently lost someone in my family and had kava the night before and that evening of the wake. I was able to walk in pay my final respects and observe for a while feeling no overwhelming negativity, I felt it all resonating from the place with so many people grieving all at once and the fact that it was a place made just for the purpose of carrying on the ritual the culture in the area has regarding death so all that energy in the place was just stuck there building up as it is. I had no reason to focus on the negative, just observe down to even my own body and minds knee jerk reactions to the situation. It was a real dark night but I couldn't break down from it, I just let myself feel it till it passed. No filtering, no judgements, I felt how I felt as what was being resonated was burned into my mind and at some point I had to call it a night and move on. Kava has made me a stronger person like that and taught me more on how trauma affects us. I actually wrote an entry in my journal on the topic of being the observer and how it can't cease to be and experience its death, only adapt to new conditions. I'm always trying to understand something new on existence due to kava and that opening of the world of possibilities and movement affect it has. Sitting outside before after work watching everything go on and suddenly I felt freedom through that. Not to worry, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and do whatever I feel like next because it's gonna be ok either way, I can adapt.

Prayers for Chase! Shakas up there put it well, I've recently lost someone in my family and had kava the night before and that evening of the wake. I was able to walk in pay my final respects and observe for a while feeling no overwhelming negativity, I felt it all resonating from the place with so many people grieving all at once and the fact that it was a place made just for the purpose of carrying on the ritual the culture in the area has regarding death so all that energy in the place was just stuck there building up as it is. I had no reason to focus on the negative, just observe down to even my own body and minds knee jerk reactions to the situation. It was a real dark night but I couldn't break down from it, I just let myself feel it till it passed. No filtering, no judgements, I felt how I felt as what was being resonated was burned into my mind and at some point I had to call it a night and move on. Kava has made me a stronger person like that and taught me more on how trauma affects us. I actually wrote an entry in my journal on the topic of being the observer and how it can't cease to be and experience its death, only adapt to new conditions. I'm always trying to understand something new on existence due to kava and that opening of the world of possibilities and movement affect it has. Sitting outside before after work watching everything go on and suddenly I felt freedom through that. Not to worry, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and do whatever I feel like next because it's gonna be ok either way, I can adapt.
I can completely relate to this. I have experienced this a lot since I started drinking Kava in context to the dramatic type of things. This one must be bad since the pain even cuts through my shells. I'm glad it does in many ways though. He is probably the best thing that happened to me in a long while and I really want to be affected by it. This doesn't negate my thankfulness and realization that our loved ones are gifts and those gifts don't last forever. And I surely don't stand alone in losing loved ones. Life can be so painful at every turn. But, man there is so much good in it also. I just need to lean into that for a bit and everything is going to be alright. We are perfected in weakness.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Beautiful best friend you got there. I hope it's possible for him to hang onto this world. He'll be with you always no matter which world he's in. My animals get me through tough times too. Kava is a much better choice than drinking. Take good care of yourself. Eat the food and drink the water, and if you can; sleep. You guys will be in my heart and thoughts and prayers.

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
Prayers for both you and chase! Definitely use full spectrum CBD or if you want to low dose THC and. high dose CBD.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I did some self-observation of my grief experience this year and I found a very clear delineation between the effects of kava, alcohol and sobriety on grief. Kava drastically diminishes the minds urge to obsess on the negative, creates a sense of calmness/acceptance and reduces the urge to cry. Alcohol encourages you to dive deep into the sadness, it makes you focus on the grief/unfairness, put on sad songs and promotes deep guttural crying. It makes you feel like these are things you actually want to do. The alcohol effect is it's own kind of catharsis, that can be useful, but it's not how you'd wanna feel every night. Sobriety has the distinct feeling of being the cold, harsh reality...obsessive thoughts of grief, but no urge to deliberately dive deeper (like alcohol), frequent and easily triggered tears, no hint of relief except for a slight alleviation after crying.

Kava is very much the preferred escape from grief, so well suited that I'd say it could be considered one of the main indications for kava usage. Usually anxiety, stress and insomnia are named, but grief fits right in there.

Best of luck to you and your pup.
I could live without kava but I would not wish to die without it.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Life can be so painful at every turn. But, man there is so much good in it also. I just need to lean into that for a bit and everything is going to be alright. We are perfected in weakness.
Such wise words, thanks man. I wish you two all the best, stay strong.

nashfire

Stay Rooted
Beautiful dog! Many prayers (Buddhist) and best wishes for a positive outcome! Our dogs have also always been family members and only add to our lives. Have not been without a couple for 25 years. Way more laughs and smiles than tears! Bula and many shells for Chase & you! Thanks for sharing with us.::kavaleaf::