What's new

Kava and local anesthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
Sadly it is the only place that will cover the type of work needed with the insurance that I have. Because they are student dentists working alongside pro dentists they can cover certain things that other offices won't do such as partials and crowns. That MassHealth list is very limited to who qualifies for accepting that insurance.

I just notified a friend of mine who may not be too happy with my current decision because he made me shake the dentists hand toward a compromise that day I went there but now I can't go by that anymore . I feel like I am being thrown to the curb on this one. Compromise and yet no win for anybody and no help for me. The ones who suffer are the patients, sadly.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
Thanks Deleted User.

This is really great news. Thank you. Something like this dentists and doctors should at least know of.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I don't mean to encourage you to be sneaky or dishonest, but how on earth would they even know if you've stopped drinking kava? I honestly (or...dishonestly) would tell them I quit, and go ahead with the procedure.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I don't mean to encourage you to be sneaky or dishonest, but how on earth would they even know if you've stopped drinking kava? I honestly (or...dishonestly) would tell them I quit, and go ahead with the procedure.
YES! This exactly. Just treat your conditions as you normally do, and then go in and have the procedure and don't mention anything. If they ask, just say you stopped the night before. Done.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
They are assuming that I am refraining for 10 days. On one hand I want to present them with proof now but by doing so they could totally reject me from any help but at the same time it would be helpful so then they wouldn't be "not knowing" about whether it is ok or not. It would help them out as well as future patients.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
They wouldn't know but they instilled a fear in me somewhat in the way they spoke with me that day. Plus I am honest, maybe too honest at times.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
They wouldn't know but they instilled a fear in me somewhat in the way they spoke with me that day. Plus I am honest, maybe too honest at times.
Your unerring honesty is a virtue, Bob. It speaks well to your character. When honesty gets you into trouble is when being honest has serious health repercussions because: health first. Always. And here it's not "honesty" per se, but being fully forthcoming. Some say withholding information is tantamount to lying, but in there are some important exceptions to that rule when having to function in a society filled with all different sorts of people.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
I did go to the dental office earlier in the day and did drop off some copies of papers that was found showing them refraining times and info that gives them the answers to questions that they couldn't give me. I won't know anything now until the dentist gets back to me on Thursday about it. All I could sense is that the office didn't seem that cheery about things.

I just want people to have the answers so that the next patient won't go through the same thing I am.

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
Wanted to share my experience as I just had my wisdom tooth out yesterday. I had drank kava beforehand, and did let my dentist know. She said the only thing she could think of interaction wise would be a tiny bit more bleeding than normal. So far so good. Doesn't seem to have caused me any issues.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure that drug interactions are based on interference with metabolism by liver enzymes. It's more important to gather details on which liver enzymes Kava inhibits and which ones Lidocaine inhibits, if any. If there's a match, than one or the other will possibly build to higher levels than intended and that's how interactions happen.

That, and COX enzyme inhibition can potentiate anti-coagulant drugs, idk if lidocaine is a blood thinner/anticoagulant.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Wanted to share my experience as I just had my wisdom tooth out yesterday. I had drank kava beforehand, and did let my dentist know. She said the only thing she could think of interaction wise would be a tiny bit more bleeding than normal. So far so good. Doesn't seem to have caused me any issues.
I'm impressed that your dentist had ever heard of kava...

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Before Paradise Kava disapeared, they were actually developing a lotion/oil called "Warrior Rub" that was used as a local anasthetic. They sent me some and I was really impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.