What's new

Kava and memory loss?

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
Hi there.

I drink Kava every night to help me fall asleep with good results.
But recently, I've noticed that I tend to forget things .. some short-term memories, that I've experienced the day before are just gone form my head.
I've always been somewhat easily distracted from things, and therefore tend to forget simple tings, but it seems like as if it's gotten a bit worse.

On the other hand though, I'm really happy with my life right now, and I def. think that Kava has something to do with this :eek:) So maybe, it's just because that I'm actually allowing my self to enjoy the small things things in life right now, that I tend to forget random (non-important) stuff.

Do you guys know, if there is a connection between (heavy) kava-drinking and memory-loss?

Last edited:

blindy107

Kava Lover
I feel like you nailed it with the "random/unimportant" things statement. Maybe kava helps relieve your hamster wheel brain that likes to dwell on stuff that is inconsequential. I have always had a terrible memory so I'm not sure if it's true...haha

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I think it has to do with perspective. to a ten year old who only has maybe six years worth of memories, waiting for friday to come seems like eternity when it's only monday, simply because they have such a short frame of reference with time. now that I'm in my thirties, I feel lucky if I know what day of the week it is, or what i ate for dinner last night. days/weeks/months go by at a scary pace, and I have just recently realized the importance of making each day count. the older I get, I feel my mind is becoming more honed on what is important to remember and discards the rest.
I for one don't feel any blurring of memories due to kava consumption. although I occasionally don't remember falling asleep with some heavier varieties ;)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The only time I feel any hint of memory impairment, is when i wake up to pee in the middle of the night, so sedated that when I wake up in there morning I sometimes wonder 'did i wake up to pee, was that last night or some other night ? damn, this shit makes sleep to good and so easy'.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
My experience is that it doesn't affect working memory at all. I was concerned about processing speed but I find that it's easy to be focused. Like being a little tipsy, but also sharp. As for imprinting long term memories, I'd think seems like I'm just fine. I've never had anything but detailed memories of the kava sessions I've had. So I'll vote for no memory loss. If anything, I feel like I'm more in the moment and paying attention than usual...

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
Yes you guys are probably right.
All in all I think kava makes me enjoy the moment instead of paying focus on the occasional mindracing ;)