What's new

Kava and St. Paddy's Day

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I went to a St. Patrick's Day party hosted by a bunch of good friends. They served reubens and we listened to an irish folk band playing traditional irish tunes. Sadly, the guy with the melodeon wasn't there this year, but guitar, flute, two violins and it was great. The players were all from the SF Opera orchestra, so the musicianship was amazing to behold.

I got a young violinist to teach me an irish jig, and did my best, but was winded after 5 minutes and had to tap out. Damn, that Michael Flatley must be in good shape.

Anyways, I came with my quart of grog. Strong. 1/2 cup of Pouni Ono to 1/2 cup of KavaBoy to 3 cups of water. It was thicker than I usually go, but stronger I think. Traditional prep, medium grind roots, strained through the (now clogging) 25 micron mesh strainer.

I had two shells before I walked over with my quart o' grog. I drank it at 30 minute intervals with lots of water in between. I always had a glass to raise, and no one really noticed or cared. There wasn't the "OH, you're not drinking, why?" conversation. And I was in a definite party mood, talking to as many people as I could about whatever they wanted to talk about, stomping my foot in time for the old Irish bar songs. It was hella fun. I really find kava to be an incredibly analogous experience to drinking. With the right kava, in the right atmosphere, it FITS. It really does. At least for me.

I know that the amount of "looseness" I felt, had I gone the alcohol route to create the same amount of looseness, would be poor sleep and agony in the morning. And tomorrow morning will be just fine after a long blissful sleep.

Win-Win!

Anyways, just felt like popping on and sharing my thoughts about the evening. I can honestly say I had a blast. And this is from a guy with social anxiety who developed as an introvert because of it.