What's new

Kava and Stomach problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I am having a big problem right now with stomach pains and I am wondering if Kava could be responsible, as the pains started after having a very large dose of Kava Supeme, which I had taken on an empty stomach. Its now several days since I had that Kava, ( July 11th ) but I still keep getting Stomach pains, coupled with Diarrhea,
and feeling weak and shaky.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Days later is unlikely to be kava, but the night of and maybe the next day would be more likely. Especially with large doses of heavy kava, kava supreme is pretty heavy. But still, the amount of time coupled with the additional effects; weak, shaky, diarrhea...is hinting more at some other issue like fighting off a stomach bug.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Days later is unlikely to be kava, but the night of and maybe the next day would be more likely. Especially with large doses of heavy kava, kava supreme is pretty heavy. But still, the amount of time coupled with the additional effects; weak, shaky, diarrhea...is hinting more at some other issue like fighting off a stomach bug.
Thanks. I'm going to try to see a doctor tomorrow.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I just yesterday had a big problem with Supreme and was really surprised about it. I didn’t even have very much. Sent kavafied an email about it this morning because something seems wrong.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
What big problem? I had about 500 ml of traditionally prepared Supreme today and feel just fine, as always. By the way, it's a recent batch which arrived today.
Extreme nausea to the point of throwing up and none of the usual positive effects.
I’m working with the vendor directly to figure it out. I understand it could be this particular batch simply doesn’t agree with me, but again I’m pretty surprised since I’ve had no problems in the past and have a pretty iron clad stomach where nausea with kava is concerned.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Extreme nausea to the point of throwing up and none of the usual positive effects.
I’m working with the vendor directly to figure it out. I understand it could be this particular batch simply doesn’t agree with me, but again I’m pretty surprised since I’ve had no problems in the past and have a pretty iron clad stomach where nausea with kava is concerned.
Interesting. I have a recent batch (purchased via amazon) but have not tried. Maybe I will crack it open tonight. I have been getting a bit bored with the ones that are currently opened.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Sorry for you, @Intrepidus_dux . In my opinion, the recent batch is just like previous ones, same smell, taste and effects. No nausea at all (I drank it 3 hours ago and had a meal). Maybe it's just an unfortunate coincidence?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Sorry for you, @Intrepidus_dux . In my opinion, the recent batch is just like previous ones, same smell, taste and effects. No nausea at all (I drank it 3 hours ago and had a meal). Maybe it's just an unfortunate coincidence?
Glad it’s working out ok for you. I’ve done this in three separate sessions and each time it’s the same for me. I’m a slow learner I guess. The good news is the recovery is swift as in I’m fine the next morning.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Whatever has caused my stomach problem has given me 7 days of suffering now, at first I thought it was the Kava Supreme, but changed my mind when other people said its couldn't go on that long, then I thought "Candida of the gastrointestinal tract", as I have had this in the past, but an anti candida treatment had no effect on it, then I came to the conclusion it was food poisoning or something like that, but since I had only eaten home cooked food, that was very unlikely to be the cause. I now suspect the batch of Kava Supreme is infected with something, I have Lot 120418. My main symptoms have been severe Stomach pains, and feeling weak and shaky, I have not had any nausea or vomiting.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
I’ve done this in three separate sessions and each time it’s the same for me.
When do the negative effects start after consumption? And what is the lot number of your batch (see back of the bag)?

I have Lot 120418.
When have you bought it? My batch has lot number 180417, expiring 3/17/21. It's the one I've been drinking for months without any bad issues.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It should be noted that if a particular batch of kava is infected with a bacteria and it makes you sick, this falls under the category of food poisoning and the 'kava' itself is not the cause.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
It may be just a coincidence, but I've been having horrible digestion and gastro trouble for the last ten days or so. I've drank from Supreme batch 120418 several times and figured I was just having gallbladder issues, never even thought to link it to a batch of kava. I also got very weak and shaky and just was completely drained for several days in a row. I decided to take a break from kava and finally after 5 days without any I feel a bit better. Went to the doctor and got my Blood work done and the results are all great other than slightly elevated ALT, which is probably from poor diet and high nicotine usage. I have an appointment to get CT scans and ultrasounds in a few days, hopefully that will shed some light on it. After I get my scan results, I'll try some kava Supreme again to hopefully rule it out as the cause of my problems.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
When do the negative effects start after consumption? And what is the lot number of your batch (see back of the bag)?

When have you bought it? My batch has lot number 180417, expiring 3/17/21. It's the one I've been drinking for months without any bad issues.
Mine is 101890149 exp 3/17/21
Negative effects started around an 1-1.5 hours after consumption.

I’m wondering if this is an Arizona issue where the exposure happened here in an Amazon warehouse or in transit after the bags were banged around a bit too much or an itty bitty puncture.
We’re in the midst of monsoon season and mold grows easily.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
As previously stated, mine is Lot number 120418, Expiry date 3/21/21. The onset of my illness was about 24 hours after drinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.