What's new

Kava and Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
With the recent rash of high profile suicides, and the large number of people who appear to use kava for depression sometimes along with anti-depressants I thought I would ask the question: Does anyone feel like kava impacted your mental health in such a way as it alleviated suicidal tendencies? I don't mean alleviating general anxiety or the more benign "feeling a bit down" moments that we all have - I mean actually being on the edge and it brought you back from the brink?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
With the recent rash of high profile suicides, and the large number of people who appear to use kava for depression sometimes along with anti-depressants I thought I would ask the question: Does anyone feel like kava impacted your mental health in such a way as it alleviated suicidal tendencies? I don't mean alleviating general anxiety or the more benign "feeling a bit down" moments that we all have - I mean actually being on the edge and it brought you back from the brink?
Well, I can't speak specifically to the issue of suicidal ideation, I don't personally think kava helps with depression. Anxiety, sometimes. Depression, not so much.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well, I can't speak specifically to the issue of suicidal ideation, I don't personally think kava helps with depression. Anxiety, sometimes. Depression, not so much.
And to the extent that it is useful against depression, that is mostly in the area of preventing the occurrence of depressive episodes. Being a non-occurence it is virtually impossible to measure. So it is very hard to make or verify any hypotheses.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
And to the extent that it is useful against depression, that is mostly in the area of preventing the occurrence of depressive episodes. Being a non-occurence it is virtually impossible to measure. So it is very hard to make or verify any hypotheses.
Depression can also be driven by lack of sleep (and vice versa) with a vicious cycle. If I hit the right kava, at the right time, I sleep like the dead...okay maybe bad phrasing for this thread but you get the idea. So I think you are right that it could prevent depressive episodes by removing some anxiety, and by giving the mind-body the rest it deserves.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I can't speak to it either - I have never been in that deep of a state of depression where I thought suicide was the way out. Very hard to understand that state of mind without being there. Other drugs and alcohol seem to go hand-in-hand with suicide. Cause or symptom is way beyond this thread to discuss, but if kava can help those who have issues with opiates or alcohol it may be a way back to normality.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I'd say yes.
And I'll share a story although I don't know it well It has stuck out and I will use boy and girl since I don't remember them

A boy and his sister were out one day during a tribal fight and the sister was killed in the midst of battle. The boy was so sad, he couldn't contain his misery. As he sat and contemplated his death he watched a mouse nibble on a root, fall over and die, he so stricken with grief decided he too would chew on the root and die. Within minutes he found he was not dead but very alive and joyfull and no longer wished for death... a few hours later the rat got up and wobbled on his merry way.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
I'd say yes.
And I'll share a story although I don't know it well It has stuck out and I will use boy and girl since I don't remember them

A boy and his sister were out one day during a tribal fight and the sister was killed in the midst of battle. The boy was so sad, he couldn't contain his misery. As he sat and contemplated his death he watched a mouse nibble on a root, fall over and die, he so stricken with grief decided he too would chew on the root and die. Within minutes he found he was not dead but very alive and joyfull and no longer wished for death... a few hours later the rat got up and wobbled on his merry way.
Awesome. The origin of kava story used in modern day vernacular.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Does anyone feel like kava impacted your mental health in such a way as it alleviated suicidal tendencies?
No question. I was on lithium for this, and it worked for a while (with unpleasant side effects), then one day just stopped working and the ideation rushed back in worse than before. I doubled my daily kava dose and without consciously deciding to, came off the lithium. The ideation still arises, but the kava lets me watch the thoughts float past...

Status
Not open for further replies.