What's new

Kava at airport security checkpoint?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Kava at the Airport reminds me of an oldie but goldie:
Coming into Los Angeleese, Bringing in a couple of keys (or in @Squanch72's case "bringing in a couple of Geese")
Don't touch my bags if you please Mr. Customs Man.

I was reading an interesting article today about the MJ Shops in Colorado hiring ex Soldiers to guard their shop. It's a huge problem. Supposedly 1 guard witnessed 4 guys with AKs roaming the fields out back and planning their attack. So these guards are armed to the teeth and wearing bullet proof vests. One has to wonder if legalizing it is worthwhile since we now have several new kinds of crime. I don't see any easy answers on that one. I think Amsterdam is getting ready to get tough with their laws because crime is higher near the pot shops and citizens are tired of it. More unanswered problems. Glad I got myself some kava and nobody has to die for it. Perhaps the answer is to let everyone grow their own and let the villains try to figure out who has 2 pot plants in their backyard. No incentive to raid a garden for several plants.
That's not really surprising. There are lots of ex-soldiers hanging around in Colorado, especially around Colorado Springs. There is the Air Force Academy, several Air Force bases, and an Army base... Often times people in the military here retire and keep living here.. Not everyone here is a hippie-dippie type.

But really, security is a problem for any retail business: liquor stores, bank branches. I don't think the MJ shops are the only ones with armed security. Guns are extremely commonplace here, for better or worse. My daughter's Middle School actually has an armed police officer on site at all times.

So, I disagree: the kinds of crime involved here are not new at all.

It's actually already legal to grow up to 6 MJ plants for personal recreational use, and more than that for medical use. It's just more convenient for people to buy it at a shop..

verticity

I'm interested in things
Like I said, forget the shops that have 100K inventories (valued at 200K on the black market) plus loads of cash that the banks won't deposit. What a recipe for a disaster! ...
Exactly. What really needs to happen is the banks need to get on board, so they don't have to deal with so much cash. That just makes them a target..

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I was reading an interesting article today about the MJ Shops in Colorado hiring ex Soldiers to guard their shop. It's a huge problem. Supposedly 1 guard witnessed 4 guys with AKs roaming the fields out back and planning their attack. So these guards are armed to the teeth and wearing bullet proof vests. One has to wonder if legalizing it is worthwhile since we now have several new kinds of crime. I don't see any easy answers on that one.
Part of the reason criminals are attracted to pot businesses is because they generally cannot interact with banks or process cards easily or at all (due to the federal illegality) and thus often have large amounts of cash.

This isn't a new type of crime -- places with lots of cash are always a target. But since these are now brick and mortar businesses they are much more tempting.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Part of the reason criminals are attracted to pot businesses is because they generally cannot interact with banks or process cards easily or at all (due to the federal illegality) and thus often have large amounts of cash.
Yup, all the banks are afraid to do business with them because it is still illegal at the federal level. Technically, they could be charged with money laundering by the feds. Hopefully it will become legal nationwide before too long, which will take care of that problem...

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
In the uk they keep finding whole houses full of marijuana plants manned by young Vietnamese boys, heat lamps burning full pelt. When they get arrested they just say they are under 16 and more or less get off with it.
Those guys are all over Europe.