What's new

Kava blender prep , nerve pain

Natalie

hi . I was searching for herbal remedies for nerve pain and came across this forum when searching for kava because I saw it mentioned for neuropathy . My husband has severe chronic neuropathy and that’s the main thing I am interested in kava for . I want to know if it has a chance of helping. A lot of herbal remedies he’s tried have not helped bacause they work on inflammation and his pain is not due to inflammation . He had a back injury that left him with permanent nerve damage and now he has burning stabbing nerve pain in his right foot . We’ve been to drs and they said the nerve damage is permanent and just the way it is . He doesn’t take any rx meds for this only otc ibuprofen and acetaminophen along with Magnolia root, cbd , turmeric and cinnamon . He still gets terrible flare ups and so I’m looking into kava.

Also I read the FAQs and I’m a little confused on methods . It says that it doesn’t need soaked in hot water cold is better yet a lot of the recipes show hot water being used . I have a vitamix blender and wonder if I can just use that and then strain and skip the kneading. My blender goes very fast . I have a small strainer made for kefir and other such things but not sure if it’s fine enough . It’s pretty fine mesh . What’s the simplest blender method you’d suggest ? Can I make a lot and keep it ahead in the fridge or does it need made daily ? Thanks

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Hi Natalie. Hot water can extract more "heavy" kavalactones that can give more pain relief, but also a nastier taste and possibly nausea. Cold water seems to selectively extract more euphoric kavalactones and a smoother taste.

Prepared kava does not store well beyond a few days. It's best to prep it and drink it within 24 hours. Try it. It might help, or if it doesn't at least you'll know. It might even help with residual stress and anxiety so that you and your hubby will be in a better headspace to deal with life in general.

Please feel free to ask more questions. Kava Forums is a pretty diverse bunch, and we all love kava. Yet if kava turns out not to be for you, we're not going to bullshit you. Here's wishing you health and wellness for you and your family!

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Hi Natalie. Just wanted to mention that if you are using a Vitamix blender, do not over blend. More than a minute could mean too much material goes through the strainer bag. Also, your husband would want to be cautious using kava and a lot of ibuprofen/acetaminophen together over a long period. The same caution applies to mixing alcohol and kava over a long period.

hi . I was searching for herbal remedies for nerve pain and came across this forum when searching for kava because I saw it mentioned for neuropathy . My husband has severe chronic neuropathy and that’s the main thing I am interested in kava for . I want to know if it has a chance of helping. A lot of herbal remedies he’s tried have not helped bacause they work on inflammation and his pain is not due to inflammation . He had a back injury that left him with permanent nerve damage and now he has burning stabbing nerve pain in his right foot . We’ve been to drs and they said the nerve damage is permanent and just the way it is . He doesn’t take any rx meds for this only otc ibuprofen and acetaminophen along with Magnolia root, cbd , turmeric and cinnamon . He still gets terrible flare ups and so I’m looking into kava.

Also I read the FAQs and I’m a little confused on methods . It says that it doesn’t need soaked in hot water cold is better yet a lot of the recipes show hot water being used . I have a vitamix blender and wonder if I can just use that and then strain and skip the kneading. My blender goes very fast . I have a small strainer made for kefir and other such things but not sure if it’s fine enough . It’s pretty fine mesh . What’s the simplest blender method you’d suggest ? Can I make a lot and keep it ahead in the fridge or does it need made daily ? Thanks

fait

Position 5 Hard Support

If you plan to have your husband try kava, make sure he refrains from ibuprofen and acetaminophen for a bit. These don't play nice with kava. I'd give it overnight to 24 hours before he tries it.

As for kava preparation, I don't know much about the blender method, but kava grog is an emulsification of the root materials and water. The traditional method used in the Pacific Islands was where they would chew the root and then spit the chewed remains into the water, then they'd filter out the solids. Whether your blend or knead by hand, you're replicating the maceration of root, which is essential to a good grog. Steeping is not enough. I thought I'd mention this in case you were considering other methods of prep. We want your grog to turn out right and it sounds like you're on the right track.

Hi Natalie. Hot water can extract more "heavy" kavalactones that can give more pain relief, but also a nastier taste and possibly nausea. Cold water seems to selectively extract more euphoric kavalactones and a smoother taste.

Prepared kava does not store well beyond a few days. It's best to prep it and drink it within 24 hours. Try it. It might help, or if it doesn't at least you'll know. It might even help with residual stress and anxiety so that you and your hubby will be in a better headspace to deal with life in general.

Please feel free to ask more questions. Kava Forums is a pretty diverse bunch, and we all love kava. Yet if kava turns out not to be for you, we're not going to bullshit you. Here's wishing you health and wellness for you and your family!
@kastom_lif speaks well here, so I'll just quote him. I can't say I could phrase it better.

I will clarify though that "hot" water is meant to be hot water from the tap. The kavalactones in kava break down above a certain water temperature, so if you're using water that would scald, it's TOO hot. Make sure you're doing nothing past warm water, which may be hot water right from your faucet.