What's new

Kava Preparation Kava Brewing Machine

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
We've had some 'kava machine' threads in the past, if anyone could make it a reality, it seems like Matt would be the guy.
I think a personal-sized machine, that could make a 1 or 2 person batch, would be around 1L or 1.5 Liter. If the machine could make a batch sufficiently strong, that could be two good batches when filled up all the way. Enough to fill 2 regular sized or one large size 'plastik', like at a nakamal.

For me, price and my willingness to buy one would definitely depend on if it could make kava as strong or stronger than me. I wouldn't pay more than $100 dollars for an 'automated Aluball shaker', though I could see something that simple being useful still. I would pay $200-$300 for a machine that made kava stronger than hands...and I'd probably pay 100-200 for one that was equally as strong as my hand prep.

When I imagine a kava machine these days, I think it would mix the kava and water like a blender or a washing machine, possibly in a couple cycles like a washing machine too. Then it would drain/suction the majority of the liquid through it's straining mesh. (Ideally this mesh could be swapped out for different micron choices.) To get maximum potency, it would then have to have some kind of compression/press mechanism for the makas, that hopefully could squeeze them with much more force than a human. The machine might need to reserve some water along the way, for doing things like re-dampening and re-squeezing the makas a few time before finishing. Like Kapm said, it would also be nice if it were easy to clean, so any part that the root particles touch would hopefully be smooth, with no grooves or seams for stuff to get stuck in and go funky.
Sounds like a lot to ask for from a small business, in a niche market, with a relatively minuscule consumer base, doesn't it? :D It would be nice though.

Alternative machine for fresh kava, the automated virgin mouth mastication machine, with amylase!
chew-gif.gif