What's new

Kava + Carbonated Drink

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I am looking for a new way to flavor, as I'm getting a little tired of the cocoa, and the cinnamon flavors I've been using.
It's hard for me to drink kava unflavored, so I'm looking for a new flavor.
I want to mix a little ginger ale with my kava as a possible alternative.
Would that be a disaster, taste-wise, and would it affect the effects ?
How about carbonated drinks in general, mixed with kava ? Not as a chaser, but mixed together.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I’ve used 7 up in the past. It did mask the flavor but only marginally. I decided it wasn’t worth the extra effort of keeping it on hand and went back to plain old water

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks ! You've actually convinced me to try it.
All I needed to know is that it would not be a disaster and would not take away from krunkenness (y)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I am looking for a new way to flavor, as I'm getting a little tired of the cocoa, and the cinnamon flavors I've been using.
It's hard for me to drink kava unflavored, so I'm looking for a new flavor.
I want to mix a little ginger ale with my kava as a possible alternative.
Would that be a disaster, taste-wise, and would it affect the effects ?
How about carbonated drinks in general, mixed with kava ? Not as a chaser, but mixed together.
Try Mio or V8 Splash, Joe (Squanch kava) swears by the recipe and I had a chance to try it with him a couple years ago and it's quite good.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried the Relax with Max brand of carbonated kava here, which was, in a word, horrific...:dead: bitter foam is harder to get down than bitter liquid...

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Is that sort of like mixing baking soda and vinegar volcano ?
If it's a "controlled eruption" that could be a very marketable beverage in a kava lounge. HA :woot:
As the gas is escaping the liquid it gets caught below the slick oil and suspended particles near the top of mix so it makes some big bubbles. Come to think of it it’s more like a bubbling cauldron than a volcano

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Powder and carbonation causes the carbonation to be released so you have to mix after its made into water
yup, same with sugar crystals. You make a syrup and then add it to the carbonated beverage, like soft drinks used to be when I was a kid. Also when I was a kid, potato chips did not come ready salted, they came with a tiny cellophane packet of salt which you opened and poured into the bag of chips, close, the top and then shake it up. I am not making any of this up. Also when I was a kid, kava only cost 34 cents a kg. OK, maybe that last was a teeny exaggeration

but my recommendation to try: mix instant kava with orange juice in a blender, then pour into a glass with bubbly mineral water and some ice, stir to blend.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I don't use instant kava because I can't afford it.
Once in a while if I can stretch it, I'll get the BKH 11-Year, because it's so good.
I think I'm going to start putting my medium grind in a coffee grinder.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I don't use instant kava because I can't afford it.
Once in a while if I can stretch it, I'll get the BKH 11-Year, because it's so good.
I think I'm going to start putting my medium grind in a coffee grinder.
I collect my dried kava flakes and mill them into instant and that stuff is quite good for clever drinks.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
@Squanch72 what is this recipe ?
Is it Mio OR V8 Splash with kava ?
Or both Mio AND V8S ? Anything else in the "recipe" ?
Instead of water I would use V8 Splash or Welch's orange pineapple flavor juice. I didn't add anything else.
I also used to use Orange Tang after making normal grog with water. And sometimes for a treat I would put it in a blender with heavy cream and ice and make a Kava Kreamsicle.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
These collected dried kava flakes ; are they makas ?
Not at all, zero makas, that is why it is fine to eat them. And they melt in your mouth. They are just the precipitant silky sediments that gravitate to the bottom, spread on a plate and dried. Dehydrated grog. Instant, but gunked together, unmilled.

Last edited: