What's new

Kava Preparation Kava Combos and Combo Recipes

D

Deleted User01

I’m interested in knowing how people drink their Kava in combination to suit their specific needs. This means drinking different types of Kava at one sitting or combining different Kavas during preparation. So I go first:

I drink Kava during the afternoon so I’m looking for a Kavain pickup in the early afternoon and a heavy Kava closer at quitting time to help me relax and sleep at night.

Combo 1.
Drink 8-10 ounces of Melo Melo in the afternoon and end with 4-6 ounces of WOW! The Melo Melo gives me motivation to keep on trucking during the afternoon and the WOW takes care of the relaxation and heavy sleep at the end of the day.

Combo 2 (I will do this on Sunday).
Make 32 ounces of WOW and put in 2 bottles. Take steeping Tongan and add it to the WOW dregs. Let them get to know each other for 10 minutes. Knead and Squeeze another 24 to 32 oz and bottle. I get a two’fer here. The Tongan is too heady for my taste so I’m trying to finish it off. Mixing it with the WOW dregs should take the edge off the headiness. So Tongan in early afternoon and finish off with WOW as above.

Combo 3 (Future)
Make 32 ounces of the much beloved Melo Melo. Make 24-32 ounces of the much reviled Koniak. Good combo for the price. Melo Melo in the early afternoon and finish off with 4-6 ounces of Koniak at quitting time. Total ingestion of Koniak is 18 ounces for the week. How can that hurt?

I will post my notes on Combo 2 and Combo 3 at a later date. Combo 1 works like a charm.

So what are your favorite combos and why?

infraredz

BULA!
Most occasions:
5tbsp Nambawan & 4tbsp Boroguru

Day-time(ish) where I only want minimal relaxation:
5tbsp Melo Melo & 3tbsp Nambawan

Pain:
5tbsp Boroguru & 2tbsp Solomons & 2tbsp Nambawan

Social:
5tbsp Melo Melo & 3tbsp Solomons (sometimes Nambawan, depending on the situation)

Night:
6 tbsp Boroguru & 2 Koniak (this is only as I've been finishing my bag of Koniak, I'll have to find something else when I'm done. Maybe just straight Boroguru)

It's honestly gotten to the point now where I just sift through all my bags, think of exactly the effect I want, than mix according to that. Sometimes I do strange things like 4tbsp Boroguru, 1tbsp Koniak, 3tbsp Melo Melo and 1tbsp Solomon's. 4 different strains in one batch is the most I've ever done.
My current "standard" mix is 3tbsp Fijian Waka, 4tbsp Melo Melo and 2tbsp Nambawan.

I like to try out a kava just by itself for a good 4 or 5 days to really get a feeling for what it's like, but I unless I'm "testing" a particular strain, I usually always end up mixing them, even if only slightly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Well said infraredz, you got recipes for every situation.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I like to do 1:1 combos of average strength dhk/kavain heavy kavas myself. This can be nearly anything but the most cost effective is boroguru + melo melo.

Since the only 4xxxxx kava I have on hand is a small bag of ahouia, I've been stretching it out by making 1/2 cup of boroguru and 2 tablespoons of that. It's a pretty good combo, and the ahouia is above average strength so you don't need as much of it.

I add a tablespoon or two of koniak to whatever I'm making as well while I get rid of the last of the kilogram I bought. Gives it a little kick.

I guess I don't have as many combos because I drink kava at the same time every night. Don't really need a daytime mix. If I was forced to choose one kavalactone forever, it'd be DHK, but kavain is a lot of fun too so I like to add it in.

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
I once made a kava milkshake if that counts as a recipe, I followed the exact recipe from some site, it didn't work bc all the kava sunk to the bottom, it was like two different levels

Bert07

Me like da kava
^That happens to me too except with mixing an instant. Every time I go for more I need to keep stirring it

D

Deleted User01

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a good Kava Brownie Recipe. I like mine with Walnuts ...

D

Deleted User01

You couldn't bake them at 350, that's for sure. But I thought I read that you could slow bake them, maybe at 120-140. It would be a challenge. FYI. The Medicine Hunter says that baking Mary Jane in brownies increases the active ingredients by 25 percent. Fun little tidbit.

D

Deleted User01

I have no idea what the low is on my oven but I think 120 is too low anyway. I think I read somewhere that the lowest baking temperature would be more like 140-150. I forgot, what is the temperature tolerance for Kavalactones? I think somebody in the old forum tried the Brownie thing but I've been too busy to go research it. If you were going to attempt brownies, you would probably use concentrated tea or extract. Then you could serve your guests brownies laced with Kava and Punch spiked with instant Kava. Might make for a hell of a Halloween Party. It's time for the chefs at the Kava Labs to get to work on their Holiday recipes.:D

Bert07

Me like da kava
I can see using Paradise's extracts for frosting on a cake. Not a bad idea except for the high cost it would entail.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I was wondering when people would start focusing more on blends. A long time favorite of mine is PK awa and Nambawan, in equal proportions.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I have no idea what the low is on my oven but I think 120 is too low anyway. I think I read somewhere that the lowest baking temperature would be more like 140-150. I forgot, what is the temperature tolerance for Kavalactones? I think somebody in the old forum tried the Brownie thing but I've been too busy to go research it. If you were going to attempt brownies, you would probably use concentrated tea or extract. Then you could serve your guests brownies laced with Kava and Punch spiked with instant Kava. Might make for a hell of a Halloween Party. It's time for the chefs at the Kava Labs to get to work on their Holiday recipes.:D
From "flank" at the old forum.
Ok I made and tried the Kava Brownies... two things to note they do work I ate a whole brownie and I got a small buzz.. the bad news is they taste like shit... its kind of like the bad taste of kava except you cant just swallow it you have to chew it first and taste over and over again. So over all I would say its a failure... I will be trying something else though perhaps like a fruit popsicle.

D

Deleted User01

Sounds like using Kava Powder for brownies is gross. Using extract might be expensive. So that leaves us with Pina Coladas. Medicine Hunter said he had a Kava Pina Colada and it was good. Anybody ever tried that? Maybe with "instant Kava"?

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Im drinking 2 TBL Paradise Fiji, 4TBL Soloman, 1 TBL Nawambawin, 1 TBL KBR's V3 with 3.5 cups purified water, .5 sparkling mineral water. Blender method.
The feeling is on the more complex side, but very profound and intriguing.

Im also taking Brahmi, Passiflora, Methyl Cobalamin, which could be leading to the more complex feeling.

Im testing the waters with Sparkling Mineral water, for the extra minerals, and Im theorising that the carbonation will help with absorbtion.
So far I notice more effect, but I think it will need to be bumped to a 50/50 with the water and Mineral water

D

Deleted User01

I never thought about sparkling/mineral water though I do use Coconut Water. Does that do anything to the taste? I wonder if it might also help the digestive system (are you listening Bert). Keep us up to date with the benefits if any of using mineral water and if you perchance use a flavored mineral water.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I didnt notice to much of any taste effects, but I did notice a significant enough difference in the potency.
Next time I will use a 50/50 ration of water to Sparkling.

I also notice a different kind of seperation within the blender while it sat, not running.
I will of course for the good of the Kava community be testing my theory out more precise.

It is plain carb. mineral water called S.Pellegrino in a glass bottle.
I also notice a significant hydration effect that seems to counter the Kavas opposite.