What's new

Kava concentrate chemotype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
i was just wondering if there is information on the chemotype for kwk concentrate. Thanks for any information.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I could be wrong, but I don't believe they make it from a single cultivar, so I'm not sure there is a chemo type for it. It's very pleasant stuff, tasty with club soda and ice or sparkling mineral water. I like 2 tbs mixed with 8 oz bubbly water. Very relaxing, more heavy than heady, but not a real deep body feel, so it's perfect for parties and socializing. I like to have some when drinking strong grog, makes a nice combo, hits all the good spots.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
AFAIK there isn't a standardized method for determining the kavalactone content of extracts, and since the chemotype of an extract wouldn't necessarily mirror the chemotype of the kava powder from which it was made, we have no way of knowing.

I might be wrong though.

verticity

I'm interested in things
As far as I know, the extract used in the beverage and concentrate is made from Borongoru, which has more body and anti-anxiety effects than heady effects. I'm not certain about that, but I thought Mike had verified that at one point. Extraction can be done efficiently, so I would expect the chemotype to be similar. My subjective experience with it has been that it is much milder than the traditionally prepared powder, but generally qualitatively similar.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Well since blended kava can be tested for combined chemotype and FK levels, it seems the same could be done for the kava that is used to make the concentrate. I doubt the other ingredients used to make the final product would alter the chemotype tested in the raw material.

Status
Not open for further replies.