What's new

Kava farm in Tanzania?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Received an email this morning through KF "Contact Us" link, and they asked if I knew of anyone who wanted to buy bulk kava from a kava farm in Tanzania.....

Kava farm.....in Tanzania.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this? It's the first I've heard of any kava being farmed in Africa.

Edit: The email said specifically "Dried Kava Root"

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Received an email this morning through KF "Contact Us" link, and they asked if I knew of anyone who wanted to buy bulk kava from a kava farm in Tanzania.....

Kava farm.....in Tanzania.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this? It's the first I've heard of any kava being farmed in Africa.

Edit: The email said specifically "Dried Kava Root"
If it didn't say dried kava root I would have thought it was just a translation error of kahawa or coffee...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Theoretically possible in the coastal region which has a tropical climate... But obviously extreme skepticism is warranted... I dunno, ask them to send pictures..
I responded with questions. I'll report back here with what they say.

verticity

I'm interested in things
A couple observations:

1) In following Fijian social media, it seems to be a commonly held belief there that Fijian people originated from Africa , specifically Tanzania. I even think I saw it said that this is taught in the schools there. (Although according to recent genetic studies it's probably a misconception). Also Fiji and Tanzania are both members of the British Commonwealth so there might be some cultural connections and definitely familiarity with each other..

2) Yesterday, the Kava World FB page posted this about something Dr. Lebot said:
"Interesting interview with Doc Vince 04:58; concerns that this traditional crop will become so popular that other parts of the world will start cultivating it pushing out local growers in the Pacific, it's a delicate balance."

These two things together might be a hint about what is going on here...

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I can’t comment on whether someone is growing Kava in Tanzania (I would be surprised), but I can definitely confirm that Africans and Melanesians are separated by tens of thousands of years of genetic difference. There are some Austronesians in Madagascar and the islands in the Indian Ocean, but those populations are only several thousand years old.