What's new

Kava felt alot weaker when i tried using the strianing method.

Geiourht

Kava Curious
Before what I would do is get one cup with water and dump the kava in then after stirring pour into another cup filtered with a tea strainer.

This would catch the bigger bits but a lot of the particles would still get thru.

SO in an effort to save my fragile stomach from its recent issues I tried using a pair of tights and kneeding like ive seen in the videos.

I did it 3 times as well till the last one was only pale so i gather I got most of the lactones out however I felt the effect was considerably reduced compared to when i only used a tea strainer.

Anything else i can do to get a strong effect whilst saving my stomach? I heard about using fats? maybe lemon ?

Yuck I noticed it smells like dog poop under my fingernails on my hand I was using to strain the kava :p

blindy107

Kava Lover
It shouldn't be noticeably weaker in my experience. Did you knead long enough? I usually will open the strainer bag and feel the raw root for any oiliness before I stop. As long as it feels like just plain old wet wood chips I've done enough.

That being said I typically just strain with a tea strainer or something similar as well. I just pour it back and forth through the strainer until it doesn't catch any particles.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Have you tried using warm to hot water to knead in? It gets more kavalactones out quicker without damaging them.
Also - are you using enough powder? Everyone has a preferred concentration, but IMO you should use at least 6 heaped tablespoons (I use 8) to 1.2 litres - as a minimum - for a reasonable mix. Sorry I can never remember the cups/ounces conversion.
As Blindy says - knead hard until all feeling of oiliness has gone for 10 minutes or so. I then filter back through the stocking 2-3 times (rinsing it out each time) as I find a tea strainer to only take out larger particles. This finer filtering should save your stomach.
Doing it this way I get a definite hit from my first shell. Let us know how you get on..

Jalak

Kava Curious
Are you making 3 batches with the same kava? Each batch after the first will be weaker most likely, so if you're combining them but still drinking a shell, you might be drinking a weaker batch per ounce.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Are you making 3 batches with the same kava? Each batch after the first will be weaker most likely, so if you're combining them but still drinking a shell, you might be drinking a weaker batch per ounce.
I know that's what I do, it seems that the grog hits a saturation point. I really really hate the idea of throwing away good kava, even if it does get weaker each time. I freeze it in between each use (upto three), I figure the cell walls break down more as the ice crystals form giving that lil extra boost in the next batches.