What's new

Kava for headache relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alopeye

Kava Curious
First, let me just say that I stumbled on the very existence of Kava by accident. I was searching for natural pain relief (a search I've tried multiple times) and somehow lucked into this forum. This is obviously a tight knit, very knowledgeable community and I've really enjoyed learning about the culture of Kava.

On to my question: I suffer from some pretty annoying cluster and tension headaches. Over the years, my doctors have prescribed a few different pain meds, but the only one that worked effectively was Fiorinal w/codeine. If you're not familiar with the ingredients, it contains Butalbital, Aspirin and caffeine. Over the years I've developed a tolerance to the medication, so I've needed to up the dosage for it to have any lasting affect. Basically, I'll take 2-4 capsules at the onset of a headache. I will get a nice, euphoric feeling after about 15-20 minutes (the codeine interacting with the butalbital) and a comfortable dulling to the pain. Unfortunately, this feeling will pass after about 45 minutes, and the headache will start to return after a couple of hours. I've also learned that the Fiorinal causes rebound headaches, so I've been stuck in this never ending loop of headache/medication/headache. Needless to say, I haven't been feeling very healthy for a while, and withdrawal can cause light depression and general nastiness.

I apologize for rambling on, but I just wanted to put my question into perspective. My headaches are rarely debilitating, just sharp and annoying, so I'm really hoping for something that can bury the pain for a few hours. Of course, I really enjoy the non-cloudy head/body euphoria as well, and would love to recapture that feeling without pumping my body full of narcotics.

Thanks in advance for any input at all!

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Kava might be a good fit for you. It's going to be hard to know for sure unless you give it a try for a good amount of time (reverse tolerance makes kava difficult to tell on the cheap if it will work for you).

I rarely have headache issues, but I have had kava on one instance when my head was aching and it made the pain go away. I wasn't drinking the kava to get rid of the headache though, and it wasn't a horrible headache, it was more of an "oh my, I had forgotten I was even dealing with that pain until it was gone" kind of thing.

I think you should definitely give it a shot. I've been a fan of Fijian Wakas lately for relaxation purposes. You can find that variety at Paradise Kava, Kava by Rex, and Bula Kava House now. I've tried the first two and they're both fine kavas. The only reason I haven't tried BKH's is because it's new, but Judd doesn't sell any kavas that are less than top-notch, so I would certainly trust it to be awesome.

infraredz

BULA!
If you have true cluster headaches, not to be discouraging, but I would be very careful trying anything just because of how volatile cluster headaches are. I've had those before but thankfully, I haven't had one in over 5 years because I stopped my old lifestyle (which was the cause, as I later found out) so I wasn't the typical cluster headache patient. I can say without a doubt though, it is the most painful thing I have ever felt and there's a reason people call them suicide headaches.

There is a lot of promise for kava in regards to cluster headaches though, that I've actually never realized before now. Calcium and sodium voltage-dependent channel blockers seem to be effective in prevention for a significant amount of people experiencing cluster headaches and kava possesses these properties. Also, while I wouldn't say that kava is a traditional GABAergic (like barbiturates, eg. butalbital), it definitely has an effect on the GABA system. What effect that is isn't completely clear, but it does possess some properties of the barbiturate you take.

I know that pure oxygen is a simple, yet seemingly effective remedy. I found slight relief from Melatonin but the problem is that once the cluster headache peaks, there's really not much you can do. Good luck, I wish you all the best. :)

EDIT: Also, because of the potent and widespread inhibition of liver enzymes caused by kava, I would be be sure to talk to your MD. Barbiturates and opioids can be lethal by themselves, and if you factor in potential increase in serum levels of either drug, it could be dangerous.

Last edited:

Alopeye

Kava Curious
I really appreciate the replies so far. I've been checking out BKH and have both Boroguru and the instant Kava sitting in my cart. Any other recommendations for a good starting point? I realize that it may be difficult to recommend since everyone has a different chemistry.

infaredz: It's been a few years since I've suffered the 'suicide' brand of headache. This is what makes me question whether or not I'm suffering from mostly rebound headaches at this point. The pain still shoots around my head to the back of my skull, but I can walk around and carry on with my day. Lifestyle change is probably what helped me as well. I used to be....not very smart with what I ingested. o_O

infraredz

BULA!
Good to hear you're free of the cluster headaches, they are honestly considered by many to be the most painful condition known to mankind. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The fact that you can function is good (not cluster headache), although I'm sorry to hear you're still having painful headaches. I've actually never had a migraine, but is the sensation similar to the cluster headache?

I would also throw in some Melo Melo so you can try out a more cerebral type of kava (still relaxing and everything, just in a different way). Those are the two (Boroguru and Melo Melo) that I would recommend to anyone starting out.

Also, I threw this in after I posted my last message so in case you missed it:
Also, because of the potent and widespread inhibition of liver enzymes caused by kava, I would be be sure to talk to your MD if you are going to take the two concurrently (same day, or even two). Barbiturates and opioids can be lethal by themselves, and if you factor in potential increase in serum levels of either drug, it could be dangerous.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I really appreciate the replies so far. I've been checking out BKH and have both Boroguru and the instant Kava sitting in my cart. Any other recommendations for a good starting point? I realize that it may be difficult to recommend since everyone has a different chemistry.

infaredz: It's been a few years since I've suffered the 'suicide' brand of headache. This is what makes me question whether or not I'm suffering from mostly rebound headaches at this point. The pain still shoots around my head to the back of my skull, but I can walk around and carry on with my day. Lifestyle change is probably what helped me as well. I used to be....not very smart with what I ingested. o_O
If it's your first kava order of any kind, I would suggest (from Bula Kava House)
- Boroguru
- Melomelo
- A fijian strainer

I personally don't find instant to be cost effective, but you might find it is good for your purposes if it works. Obviously if you feel a headache coming on it would be kind of a pain in the ass to sit down and knead kava for 30mins.

Alopeye

Kava Curious
As I understand it (I'm certainly no expert), migraines occur in a more focused area of the head. They tend to cause nausea and much greater sensitivity to light. I was treated for migraines by a neurologist a few years ago, just because my headaches were not really improving. Not a single treatment made a dent. I still wouldn't rule out being misdiagnosed initially with cluster headaches. I've had at least one concussion as an adult, but I've suffered from fairly low-key headaches since I was a child. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover enough for me to see a neurologist every couple of weeks to get to the bottom of things.

I also failed to mention that I have been off of my pain medication for about three weeks now. I have no intention of ever taking it again now that it's finally getting out of my system. That's another reason that I'm hoping to find something to 'take the edge off', so to speak.

Thanks for the Melo Melo recommendation. I may throw that in instead of the instant, though the appeal of having something quickly is tough to beat. Ah heck, might as well get all three. ;)

infraredz

BULA!
Coming off those meds (especially if you were taking higher doses or for a long time) will definitely give you that edge and I can tell you that kava will certainly help with that. I think that while kava may help with preventing cluster headaches (not sure about the mechanism behind migraines), instant would be good to keep on hand because as kavadude said, when the pain comes on, you won't want to be bothered with sitting and kneading kava and going through the whole process. Also, you can carry instant with you anywhere which is a big plus for someone in your situation.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I recommended Boroguru and Melomelo because they're sort of at each end of the spectrum in that Boroguru is a more sedating, muscle relaxing type of kava and melo melo is a more uplifting, mental sort of experience. I'm not sure which will be effective for your purposes.

If you're feeling really spendy, head on over to Paradise and buy a tub of extract. It's the best no-prep kava product on the market in my opinion.

D

Deleted User01

I think I saw something on the old forum about someone complaining about headaches with Kava. Today I have a headache and I'm hoping it's a sinus headache and not the Melo I had yesterday. Alopeye, I would tread lightly with the Kava and I would almost reccommend you stay away from the heady type (Kavain) Kavas though this is just a hunch. The heady Kavas irritate me when I'm having an aggravating day so head's up to you Infraredz with your new endeavor because you have stated that you are sensitive to Kavain and I believe that I am too. It's like being sensitive to caffein. So let's start a new thread, what's a good Kava for an aggravating, head-achy day? Could it be (drum roll please), Koniakkkkkkk!??

infraredz

BULA!
@Deleted User01 I'm beginning to rethink my belief that I'm sensitive to kavain as I'm finding Melo Melo and Nambawan (both very heady kavas with a 426xxx chemotype) to be the most mentally relaxing kavas I've had. I think I just had to get used to it or something.

Alopeye

Kava Curious
I recommended Boroguru and Melomelo because they're sort of at each end of the spectrum in that Boroguru is a more sedating, muscle relaxing type of kava and melo melo is a more uplifting, mental sort of experience. I'm not sure which will be effective for your purposes.

If you're feeling really spendy, head on over to Paradise and buy a tub of extract. It's the best no-prep kava product on the market in my opinion.
Hmm, sounds like I was reversing which Kava was which. I suppose the name 'Melo Melo' is what led me to that conclusion, though I did see a description of it being a more laid back Kava. What I would really prefer is a mix that would make me feel alert, but somewhat euphoric and less tense at the same time. I rarely have trouble sleeping after a long day, so I don't need anything that will relax me into oblivion. How about Fu'u? The description on BKH sounds promising. I'll definitely take a look at the extract as well.

D

Deleted User01

I have a bag of Tongan Pride which I try to mix with whatever I can. I'm trying to get rid of it. To my taste, that is a very, very heady Kava and I got agitated the first time I had it. I was having an aggravating workday and this Kava seemed to a make it worse. This was early in the afternoon so maybe we go back to your Set and Setting topic. So I would be wary of those types of Kava if you are getting ready to go thru something that might be nerve wracking or aggravating.

On the other hand, if I'm having a "good hair day", then that type of Kavas is somewhat energerizing and I can put in an extra 30/45 minutes of work with no worries. I like Solomons for that and I think Melo Melo is going to fit in that category.

infraredz

BULA!
Ditto to kavadude. Melo Melo is exactly what I was looking for in Fu'u, but without the super fine grind. It really is superior in ever way in my experience too.

I definitely would agree with Deleted User01 that Solomons is too heady at times (all the time for me, I have to mix it). That stuff is just crazy o_O
However, I wouldn't put Melo Melo in that category, although I guess I can see it being uplifting in high doses, but if you go mellow with it, you will feel absolutely mellow. I notice only a sublte, yet satisfying uplifting effect.

What I would really prefer is a mix that would make me feel alert, but somewhat euphoric and less tense at the same time.
For me, Melo Melo (and Nambawan) is the perfect fit for this. I seriously am falling in love with Melo Melo, though I don't know if I can ever give up the Nambawan love.

Alopeye

Kava Curious
You folks are exceedingly helpful. I really do appreciate every reply! :D

Since I'll need to go with less expensive options, I think that I will start with Melo Melo and the instant just for a back up. I intend to try more than one kind anyway, so I'll more than likely grab something else after payday next week. I remain intrigued by the extracts, so I'll need to look into that very soon.

kavadude: thanks for the review link. Going to do some more reading right now.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
Downing my second wash of Melo Melo as I type...can you say YUM?!:D I actually got a little nutty and decided to experiment after thnking about those strawberry kava slushys..and dropped in a blueberry teabag to my second wash, while I was kneading. Was curious I guess..lol..OMG! :eek: It's actually really good! And the affects of Melo Melo are oh so nice;)

But...I like infraredz will never give up my first love..:p

Alopeye

Kava Curious
Downing my second wash of Melo Melo as I type...can you say YUM?!:D I actually got a little nutty and decided to experiment after thnking about those strawberry kava slushys..and dropped in a blueberry teabag to my second wash, while I was kneading. Was curious I guess..lol..OMG! :eek: It's actually really good! And the affects of Melo Melo are oh so nice;)

But...I like infraredz will never give up my first love..:p
I'm a fan of blueberry tea, so that sounds good to me as well. I think that I need to try it straight up before I attempt to mask the flavor though. Any opinions on steeping it with coffee? I'd be interested in hearing any other suggestions as well, since I'd really like to get as much as I can out of my first batch. Do many people go through reverse tolerance at the start?

infraredz

BULA!
I would not steep it in coffee, because
1. Caffeine and kava don't go well together in my experience
2. Kava can't be steeped like normal tea, it has to be agitated since the kavalactones aren't water soluble. If you're interested in preparation techniques, check out the "Wiki" tab at the upper right.

As far as RT, some people go through it harder than others. Some people feel it completely and immediately. Others have to go for a few weeks to break through. I would venture to say that with daily usage, the average time would probably be around a week.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah biggest rookie mistake would be not preparing it correctly. Gotta spend 10-20 minutes beating the crap out of it and then strain it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.